Old 02-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default 2600 SE for Pacific Coastal use?

Hi all,
I am not yet a boat owner, but I have a chance to buy a 2006 Maxum 2600 SE. I live in Northern California, and would mainly use it off the coast here, as opposed to the bay, or rivers or lakes.

A boat owner I know told me he thought the Maxum 2600 was more of a freshwater boat, and he has concerns about using it off the coast. He wondered about safety of getting around the boat while underway to manage docklines or the anchor. He wonders how sturdy the bow rails are. He believes our coast is a little rougher than the East coast for example, with a prevailing NW wind, and wonders how the Maxum would handle it. The 2600 has an open cockpit, so we'd be a little more exposed than on some boats that have cockpits inside hard bulkheads (e.g. Bayliner 2859). It's true that I don't see alot of Maxums or other pocket cruiser style boats out here in general.

So, I thought I'd get opinions from folks like you who own Maxums. Is this boat a mismatch for my area or for my intended uses? I don't plan on going deep sea fishing, or even beyond the sight of land.

Any feedback or advice is appreciated!

Tom

iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Lt. JG

Ive never been on the West Coast and have no idea how rough it gets out there, However have been on some great lakes during some rough times on a 27 footer with an 8 1/2' beam and it was a roller coaster. I believe the boat would be sound enough, but I would be more concern about the pleasure aspect. I always regreted not going straight to a 30 footer with twins. For the sake of a chunk of change, but it was a lesson learned. I don't know what your financial situation is but if you can go to a 30 footer go for it. If you have kids the boat gets small really fast. Secondly, if you are financing most loans are 15 yrs or less. Boats values drop as about as fast as new cars. It is extremely hard selling older boats, right now the banks wont even give loans for boats older than 10yrs due to the economy. So basically im saying get a boat that you know you are going to be happy with for a while. Good luck!

It's not a hobbie; It's a lifestyle!!!

R MATTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Admiral

Iceman...nice handle by the way.....welcome to the zoo....
I used to live in the bay area and fished off the golden gate a few times...first off....that boat is not self bailing and you will quickly get swamped if your caught in bad weather...if it were mine..I'd get a huge bilge pump to pump it out if I was caught in rough waters....as you know..the waters out there can change in a new york minute....
second...a 26ft boat with a narrow beam will beat you guys up...it's not the best boat for rough water ..but it will do....what I mean is ....it will take alot more water than you can....but it will roll and yaw like crazy....the boat is large enough as long as you don't take it out on those days that aren't meant for man nor beast.....
the 2600SE is a pocket cruiser..it's meant to do some fishing...some skiing....some cruising and some relaxing....it's not like a boston whaler that is expected to take anything.....
so...my recommendations are...figure out what kind of boating you want to do....if the 2600se fits your bill...then go for it...if it's strictly fishing...i'd look at something a bit different than the pocket cruiser......
if you decide on the 2600se...welcome back.....but keep the canvas handy incase the weather goes south on you out there....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:27 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

Guys - thanks for the advice. What I'm hearing from you is that this boat would be fine most of the time. Our goal would be to avoid rough weather & seas. Of course things don't always go according to plan. But we like the diversity of the 2600 compared to hardcore fishing boats. We don't necessarily want to focus strictly on fishing. A larger boat is not really an option since I want to trailer it. That gives us the ability to travel up and down the coast as well as SF bay, Delta etc.

By the way, the owner is saying the 2600 is self-bailing, and there is already a bilge pump installed.

I'm still a little worried about handling docklines and anchoring - climbing on the bow through the center windshield would be OK in calm seas, but it could be a little dicey getting to the bow rail when the boat is rolling.

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm getting closer.....
Old 02-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
Captain

yo iceman...welcom here

yust take my advise......buy what you can pay out of your own pocket (never go to the bank for a boat...)...always check the weather forcast and stay home or in the harbor if you know bad weather and big waves are coming at your way...i can tell you it's no fun at the lake with a wind with a strength of 8 ( i,'ve been there a few years ago with my 2855 bayliner and believe me al the doors at the boat opens and stuff falls out, television broke of the wall etc etc)

good luck, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:44 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

Thanks for all the advice folks. I have just joined your ranks as an owner of a 2600SE. And Ed, I 'm on the same page with you - it was done without a loan.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:41 AM   #7
Admiral

good job.....hope to see some photo's posted soon!!...congrats...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Thanks for all the advice folks. I have just joined your ranks as an owner of a 2600SE. And Ed, I 'm on the same page with you - it was done without a loan.
in these economical and financial bad period the best thing to do if you want to buy a boat.....the best thing to do is....do'nt buy a boat and keep the money in the pocket and wait for better times......hahahaha.....but anyhow.....lots of fun with your new boat.....and we want PICTURES.......

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

Iceman, not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but get SeaTow, or whatever the prevalent tow plan is out there; it's cheap insurance in case you get stuck out there. Secondly, ensure you have adequate communication gear, i.e. working radio with large enough antenna, and cell phone that hopefully can get reception wherever you're planning on cruising.