Old 09-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2500 SCR leaning to starboard side

Hi!

I am in the process (maybe) of purchasing a 2001 2500 SCR. I went today to pick it up. The boat is not setting correctly on the trailer. The trailer is made specifically for the boat. The starboard side is actually resting on the top of the fender. I noticed that when it was in the water, it leaned to the starboard side. I now realize that this is the reason the boat is not loaded on the trailer correctly. The marina man said it was because the gas tank was on that side and it had almost a full tank of gas. I can't believe that Maxum (or any other builder) would build a boat that will list with a full tank of gas. Anyway, the gas tank is in the center of the boat. I can only think of a couple of options: 1. The hull has water in it? Is there a way to access the hull under the waste tank? 2. The contents are not stowed correctly. Not likely. The only items that are now on the boat are what the manufacturer put on it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help! Dan

Dan2500scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Admiral

Dan, the tank is a belly tank down the center line and should rest centered in the water. Usually equipment or passanger weight cause this type of list. What side are the batteries on and how much list does the boat have in the water? Most of these mid 20' boats have more weight on the starboard side, but only a few degrees. My 2400SCR if flat with no passangers but will list starboard with just a few folks on board at slow speed. Trim tabs can equal out this once on plane.

BTY: welcome aboard

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Dan, the tank is a belly tank down the center line and should rest centered in the water. Usually equipment or passanger weight cause this type of list. What side are the batteries on and how much list does the boat have in the water? Most of these mid 20' boats have more weight on the starboard side, but only a few degrees. My 2400SCR if flat with no passangers but will list starboard with just a few folks on board at slow speed. Trim tabs can equal out this once on plane.

BTY: welcome aboard

Thanks Mike! The batteries (2) are on the starboard side as well. The clean water tank is empty. I can't tell about the waste tank. I was able to straighten it up with the trim tabs. I'm just not use to the tilt when at rest. It is not flat when empty.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Did you have the boat surveyed to make sure you don't have a saturated hull that's holding water in the fiberglass?

www.vikingbay.co
Nehalennia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Admiral

Dan you never said how much list were talking about here. I agree with Todd have the boat surveyed.

Mike
Old 09-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Lt. JG

My group 32 AGM batteries added so much weight to the starboard side that I need to carry 15 gallons in the fresh water tank for ballast. It solved the problem. If you have a bunk trailer, it can make it tough to load when the balance is not correct. The fuel tank is centered in the hull.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehalennia View Post
Did you have the boat surveyed to make sure you don't have a saturated hull that's holding water in the fiberglass?
I spoke with the current owner. He is going to have it surveyed to find the cause of the list. It is slight, but I noticed it when I looked at the swim platform while in the water. Sits about an inch lower on the starboard side. Could it be the combination of the two batteries and a full waste tank? The fresh water tank is empty. I did mention possible water in the hull to the marina man. He said not likely. If there is, it's where I can't see it. The survey should find it. Thanks for all the help!
Old 09-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

With no people or their gear aboard my 2004 MY 2400 SC3 lists to starboard about an inch also. The helm, semi porta potty and it's cover + pump out plumbing, "entertainment center" (sink, faucet, fiberglass enclosure), fresh water tank (empty) and its pump are all to starboard. The single battery was in far rear port corner. Fuel tank in center of course. There's simply more weight to starboard than to port. While under way with just her and me I always have run more starboard tab.

Even with a roller trailer mine goes on a little crooked too. When it's time to load the boat I have my wife sit to port just in front of the windshield with her legs over the side. Although she doesn't weigh much it does help while I crank the boat onto the trailer.

Double check that your trailer bunks are positioned correctly.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
Admiral

Dan (ss3964spd), how did you talk your wife into being a counter weight

Tell her she'll distract folks from seeing how bad you are at recovering the boat

Mike
Old 09-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
Lieutenant

My 2003 2400 SE lists 2" to starboard. The design of my layout with the seats, console, head, refrig, and A/C on the starboard side are the culprit. The dumb *.* designers designed the deck drains on the port side so I'll have just enough water standing under the helm to keep the carpet wet and green. I keep my boat on a lift so I stand on the port side while it is being raised until the bunks are contacted to keep it where it will drain. It's only made worse as when you use fresh water, the waste tank fills up creating additional weight on the starboard side. Boats are all about being pretty, not practicality.
SRPATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Plus I could use my wife as ballast, but she doesn't like the title!
SRPATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
Admiral

SR, she may add ballast to you in the form of a cast iron skillet

Mike
Old 09-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
Admiral

Quote:
Dan (ss3964spd), how did you talk your wife into being a counter weight

Tell her she'll distract folks from seeing how bad you are at recovering the boat
"Ballast" is sooo unflattering, thankfully she hasen't yet made that connection. And oh, I'm totally on board with the diversion tactic. Again though, she hasen't made that connection either. LOL
Old 09-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
Admiral

Hold the phone! I didn't use the word "Ballast" I said counter weight, SRPATTON introduced that less flattering word into this

Well hopefully she doesn't log on and read to discover your tactic, however asking her to wear that new flashy bathing suit may give her a hint

Mike
Old 09-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #15
Admiral

Quote:
....however asking her to wear that new flashy bathing suit may give her a hint
Ha! Now that's one she caught onto quite some time ago, only because I over played that card!