Old 11-22-2015, 03:23 AM   #41
Lt. Commander

I got my Garmin GPSMAP 741xs in this week and installed it tonight. Via the network I can use the old 441s as an instrument combo and access the NMEA 2000 data on it as well as the new fuel sensor and the Fusion radio I installed last weekend. The Garmin Helm app for my iPhone is great and allows total control. How cool is that?

I had run a BNC cable when I ran all of the other wires so I bought a $30 camera from Amazon for the bilge and the 741xs connects perfectly!

The 741xs is awesome!

Daleo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:38 AM   #42
Admiral

Very nice, can you adjust the camera to see more of the engine?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #43
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Very nice, can you adjust the camera to see more of the engine?
I can move the camera to view the engine but the field of view is not that wide. I will have to see if they make a wider angle lens that can focus that close to the engine.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #44
Lt. Commander

$129 on Ebay, 14 lb. polished delta type. I could not resist. Even the dog approves.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:26 PM   #45
Admiral

Your dropping coin like its Christmas!

Mike
Old 11-25-2015, 11:33 PM   #46
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Your dropping coin like its Christmas!
Yes, but the boat is getting better and better! $50 for a new wide angle video camera and $30 for new pillow covers. I am going out on Saturday so no more projects until I get back out of the water!

Old 11-26-2015, 03:46 AM   #47
Admiral

That camera captures the engine well.

Enjoy your outing.

Mike
Old 11-26-2015, 06:33 AM   #48
Lieutenant

Thanks for sharing your projects and posting lots of pictures. I have the same boat 2000 Maxum 2400 SCR. Envy you, we may have to wait until next spring to go boating again here in Pacific Northwest.
cruz'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:50 PM   #49
Lt. Commander

Quote:
That camera captures the engine well.
I lucked out on the view. I am glad the 741xs has a video port too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz'r View Post
Thanks for sharing your projects and posting lots of pictures. I have the same boat 2000 Maxum 2400 SCR. Envy you, we may have to wait until next spring to go boating again here in Pacific Northwest.
I just love the 2400's and the trailer option!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-29-2015, 05:02 AM   #50
Lt. Commander

Skip the long post and just look at the pictures.
We woke up at 6:00 am today to head out to Catalina. Not gonna happen today.

So, when I bought the boat the PO said that the trailer was a 2010 and he rarely had it in the water. I saw the boat lifted into the water so I figured the trailer was ok. When I replaced the tires there was no play and I had replaced the main brake line and actuator. This was my third trip and I did not inspect inside the drums.

Well let me tell you, I should have. The ocean is 48 miles away and two miles before we got there at 8:30 am this morning the passenger side front tire blew. I pulled over and realized that both Bearing Buddies were gone. How do they blow off? I limped it to the launch area, since I thought it was only a bad tire, and proceeded to see the error of my ways. Come to find out after removal, both sets of shoes on the passenger side had no lining/and the inner bearings had literally blown up. Smoke everywhere. Not going in the water any time soon. No brakes on that side now as I stripped off what was left of the rusted brake hardware and just wanted to get home after the cruise. How I am going to do this? I have five people and the dog looking at me.

I see that I needed to get hubs and bearings. On a Saturday. No way I think. West Marine down the street did not have any six lug 12" but they send me to Lomita Trailer Supply. Fortunately it was only about 15 minutes away from Cabrillo Launch so off to buy their only two in-stock hub assemblies, bearings and new Buddies. I am happy they have them! The wife's brother was with us so he drove me in his car while everyone just looked at the water. $325.

We get back and I do both axles on that side and go to put the PO spare on and the valve breaks off in my hand and deflates. I also now see the cracks in the sidewall. So the wife and her brother go back to the trailer place for $156 tire plus I am out my new blown tire at $100. I am mad so I stare at the water.

They get back with the new tire and we get it installed. I start to think, the driver side wheels looked ok but maybe I should check them too. We lift them up and there is now play. Ugh. Wife and brother-in-law head back (third trip) to get new bearings and seals. These hubs had not blown up yet so I could save them however since I stripped the brakes off the other side I trashed all of this side too. This side did have linings. Go figure. I stare at the water some more. $100 for more parts. I am doing all of this in the state beach parking lot with the tools I brought plus a new 3 ton Harbor Freight jack I needed to buy down the street from the trailer store. That ramp thing does not work by the way. You still need a jack which I did not know.

They get back and it is now 4:00 pm but I have wheels that spin without rust or beige grease. Everyone but me has had the patience of saints and still want to go out on the water even for a couple hours. We did Queen Mary and Long Beach Harbor. Good call to go out after all of this because the views were amazing and I even got to see an old friends boat on the cruise. The boat ran awesome and the new 741xs and fuel sensor was great. I need an RPM sensor now. I love Garmin! No boat issues and everyone was cold but happy.

$700 total for the day but we were all safe and trailer hubs were cool to the touch when we got home tonight.

Interesting fact: The guy working at the trailer shop lives about 10 minutes from me and will come over with new brake backing assemblies in a few weeks and install them for me. I could probably do it but I now got a "trailer guy"

Old 11-29-2015, 10:48 AM   #51
Admiral

When it comes to PO statements, trust but verify. IMO they are ussually not correct, not saying they intentionally lied but go by their gut feeling.

Mike
Old 12-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #52
Lt. Commander

Quote:
When it comes to PO statements, trust but verify. IMO they are ussually not correct, not saying they intentionally lied but go by their gut feeling.
I learned my lesson for sure!

I had already bought new tires, main brake line and coupler. I picked up new brake assemblies Saturday and started installing them. I also am making my own flush system so I can keep them clean as much as possible. I also had to replace the tail lights last night too. Oh, and I also got a new trailer jack and replaced the old safety chains. I had already got a new strap and roller along with the spare from last weekend. I think I am about $1500 in the trailer but I know the history of it now. Not what I wanted to do but it is safe and solid.

At this point the only things left on the trailer I have not replaced or fixed are the bunks It is fun rebuilding a trailer so no complaints though...

Old 12-15-2015, 12:12 AM   #53
Lt. Commander

After completely replacing the trailer brake system and all bearings back at the shop we went back out on the water this past weekend. 70° and sunny of course in December.

The homemade brake flush system I made worked great. I used a bilge pump in a bucket, 3/4" ID line to a hose to the splitter and 1/2" line to the drums. It is powered by a cig lighter adapter I have in the bed of the truck. I also have a portable 12V spray hose from Amazon I use for washing and a 7 gallon container with Salt-Away. The boat ramp does not have wash-out facilities so I decided to make my own. Both systems together cost me about $70 but they were fun to make and should save me some problems down the line. I still have to flush the engine at home but it is only 45 miles back.

It all worked well, the cruise was great, the Queen was as lovely as ever and there was even space at the public dock this time!

Old 12-15-2015, 12:44 AM   #54
Admiral

Passanger ships of today and yesterday.

Nice flush system.

Mike
Old 12-15-2015, 12:55 AM   #55
Commander

My previous boat was a 2565 Regal on a dual axel trailer with electric over hydraulic disk brakes. I loved pulling that trailer.
dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #56
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Passanger ships of today and yesterday.

Nice flush system.
That is the Carnival Imagination and is almost 200 feet shorter than the Queen Mary. How design space makes a difference.

I will see how well my flush system works when I service and repack next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronthelake View Post
My previous boat was a 2565 Regal on a dual axel trailer with electric over hydraulic disk brakes. I loved pulling that trailer.
I am close to the tow limit with my F150. It tows great just a little slow up grade. The replacement surge brakes I installed work great now so stopping is not a problem. The trailer tows real nice now. I am ready for lake Mohave!

Old 02-01-2016, 03:34 AM   #57
Lt. Commander

Default Dual Starting Batteries

The starting battery needed replacing and since I always do things well beyond what is actually needed I added a second battery. I already had added a second battery to the starboard side so I figured why not. Including the switch and cables it was $150.

I only made one addition to the battery layout and that was to add a single large switch for the CO2 detector and stereo memory. I want to be able to disconnect the only drain on the battery if I ever end up putting the boat in storage or do not have access to AC power. The remaining cables went back to the battery as Maxum made them; most importantly the bilge pumps.

The one challenge I had was to work around the water lines. I ended up using PVC blocks mounted to the bottom of the battery box to elevate it over the lines. Once strapped down it is very secure.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #58
Admiral

Dale nice work as always, I hope you really put some hours on her for all these upgrades.

Mike
Old 02-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #59
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Dale nice work as always, I hope you really put some hours on her for all these upgrades.
We got on the water with some friends just before New Years but it was in the high 60s and not shorts weather It seems to be 10 hours of work for every one hour on the water lately. It is all me and my upgrades though. The boat was stock and ran fine when I got it.

We will be going to Lake Mohave once they deliver my new truck so it is looking like fresh water fun is in my near future. It will be nice to have a bigger Maxum there this year.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:09 PM   #60
Lt. Commander

Installed a GT21 today that I bought from Garmin for $150. I have a Lake Mohave trip coming up soon and want to be able to use the 741xs to see the lake bottom. The new DownVü should look very clear.

I already have a transducer on the Garmin 441s that came with the boat so I am leaving that untouched (starboard side) but connected to the NMEA network.

Garmin Image