Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-16-2016, 12:19 AM   #61
Admiral

Nice cannot wait to see how it works on the lake.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:16 PM   #62
Lt. Commander

The wife and I had been using the built-in boat ice chest quite a bit when we go out. It seems to be about a 60 quart size and holds a lot of drinks. Good times. On another note, I have been getting quite a bit of water in the bilge after a day on the water. The boat does not leak so I assumed it a leak in the head pump water line. I checked the head but no leaks.

Nope.

The drain for the "storage space" (under the seat at the top of the picture below) is not for use as an actual an ice chest and the drain goes right into the bilge. Why, I do not know. Anyway, after three 20-lb bags of ice each day, all of the water would drain into the engine bilge. I could not see the drain line because it disappeared behind the engine by the way. Dumb. My 2003 Maxum had an ice chest and it drained out the side above the waterline. I thought this one did too. My bad.

Anyway, I cut one of the deck drain hoses and made a PVC adapter so the "ice chest" will now drain out the starboard side of the boat. I now have an ice chest again.

Daleo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #63

Great idea!!! Incidentally, that is self-draining storage locker. The reason it is routed to drain into the bilge is, as a storage locker, it was not anticipated to have the amount of water a cooler/ice chest would normally have. The small amount could be picked up by the bilge pump, eventually.

You turned a draining storage locker into an ice chest. It's a great idea if you don't need the storage space. I've seen quite a few. A few members had posted that they had also insulated the locker to keep the ice longer. Take a look underneath in the engine compartment and you'll notice it's not insulated.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:58 PM   #64
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Great idea!!! Incidentally, that is self-draining storage locker. The reason it is routed to drain into the bilge is, as a storage locker, it was not anticipated to have the amount of water a cooler/ice chest would normally have. The small amount could be picked up by the bilge pump, eventually.

You turned a draining storage locker into an ice chest. It's a great idea if you don't need the storage space. I've seen quite a few. A few members had posted that they had also insulated the locker to keep the ice longer. Take a look underneath in the engine compartment and you'll notice it's not insulated.
I will see if I can pull the liner out and spray some insulation on it!
Old 03-20-2016, 03:33 PM   #65
Lt. Commander

We went to Catalina Island on Saturday. I had my guy service the engine and drive and replace the impeller on Friday so everything mechanically was ready to go. The boat ran great and the water was perfect. With the swell conditions we did 25kn going over and 31kn coming back. We stopped halfway to check out a large dolphin pod.

All the additions I have made to boat worked out well and the radar and new sonar worked as designed. At this point I am done with the upgrades and will go into maintenance mode!

We even changed launch ramps to a closer location which ended up being a great decision and gave Tiffany plenty of space to park the new truck.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:36 PM   #66
Admiral

Glad it all worked out for you, enjoy.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote