Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2015, 03:15 AM   #21
Admiral

Glad the family had a great day, thanks for the pictures nice shots.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #22
Ensign

Bought the same boat about six months ago here in Florida. The boat had been dry stored since new so the gel coat was near perfect. For some reason the biminis and cockpit upholstery were trashed. So $3,000 later I've got a new looking boat. Mine has the Westerbeke genset so we can overnight on the hook. I wish mine had the large swim platform. We trailered the boat to the Keys in August for a week. Sea conditions were perfect so we had five adults and one child on board and dive gear for three. I was shocked at how well it handled that crowd and load.

Enjoy your new boat!

Feet1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #23
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feet1st View Post
Bought the same boat about six months ago here in Florida. The boat had been dry stored since new so the gel coat was near perfect. For some reason the biminis and cockpit upholstery were trashed. So $3,000 later I've got a new looking boat. Mine has the Westerbeke genset so we can overnight on the hook. I wish mine had the large swim platform. We trailered the boat to the Keys in August for a week. Sea conditions were perfect so we had five adults and one child on board and dive gear for three. I was shocked at how well it handled that crowd and load.

Enjoy your new boat!
Did you go full bimini? I am curious what the rear set looks like. I have all of the snaps and connections but no rear. Also, could you post a picture of your generator set up? I wonder how hard it is to upgrade. I really do not want to sit a portable genny on the swim step.
Daleo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #24
Ensign

The boat came equipped with the double biminis, which I would describe as being about 70% front and 30% back. I've attached a picture outside the canvas shop that shows the boat with the full enclosure. I re-used all the hardware and frame as they were all stainless and in great shape. We also reused the side panels, except for the front three I had them sew in new eisenglass. The three rear panels are screen. To be honest in the six months we've owned her the only time the back bimini has been opened is at the canvas shop. When I got the boat home I pulled the pins on the back unit and put the whole thing in the garage. The front bimini and side panels cover the back to back seats so if we have more than six people on board (which would be rare) that need protection from the rain, we'd put a few in the cabin!

Now for the genset! It is a 3 KW Westerbeke and it is shoehorned into a space starboard from the engine and just behind the holding tank. It is such a tight squeeze that for any maintenance other than an oil change, it has to be hoisted out of the boat! Now what's going to make you choke is the price of one of these beasts. When I bought my boat the generator would crank but not stay running. My initial thought was to pull it out and just keep a small Honda generator on board for the few times we want to anchor out (most of our overnighting will be in marinas where we have access to showers and restaurants). The generator guy talked me out of it and challenged me to search online to find the price of these units USED before I decided to throw it away. I found a couple of listings on EBay and other online forums where the asking price for used units of the same type were in the $6,000 and up range! I was absolutely shocked so I decided to have him pull it out, and do a complete service (carb rebuild, belt, fluids/filters, etc.) It ended up costing me $700 but now when I want to fire up a blender for frozen margaritas or heat up some food in the microwave I just hit a button! I do not have a picture of the engine compartment, but we will probably be out on the boat this weekend so I'll try to take a few.

I've also attached another photo of our first overnight trip to St. Augustine. Stayed at the city marina right in downtown and walked to all the things we wanted to do.
Attached Images

Feet1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:27 PM   #25
Lt. Commander

Looks like an inverter is in my future :-)
Old 10-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #26
Admiral

What is in the T-Bag hanging from your Bimini? It really looks like it would get in the way a lot.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #27
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
What is in the T-Bag hanging from your Bimini? It really looks like it would get in the way a lot.
The T-bag has six life vests, air horn, safety flag, lights and a couple dock lines in it. It is directly above the seats and high enough up that it is not in my way walking around or when I am standing at the wheel.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:19 AM   #28
Lt. Commander

It has been a few weeks since I posted. I have the arch up and am starting to install the NMEA cables and the other goodies. I am going out this weekend so I hope I can get it all done after work each night.

As I was running the NMEA and other cables down the starboard side I see that they had the windlass already wired. Does this go all the way to the front?

Old 11-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #29
Admiral

If the wiring goes to the front it should be in the anchor locker.

Mike
Old 11-12-2015, 03:28 AM   #30
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
If the wiring goes to the front it should be in the anchor locker.
I was so busy tonight I forgot to check the bow storage

I did spend a bunch of time making a new wiring loom for the arch electronics. I installed a Blue Sea 6-switch rear of the throttle so I could control the arch power and use it as an access hole for running cables down the side. Between the speaker hole and the switch hole I have complete access!

I moved the 441S above the radio and then I ran the NMEA cable down the side and connected it. I will connect it to the fuel sensor, 19X and Fusion stereo tomorrow night. I put all of the front cables up under the tach and will connect the power at the fuse panel.

I also replaced the old single dying 27 battery and installed a second 27 battery on the starboard side. I will probably do the same to the starter side someday.

I hope to get the electronics all done by Friday so I go to Catalina on Saturday.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #31
Admiral

You are really pushing hard to complete the project list.

Mike
Old 11-14-2015, 06:14 AM   #32
Lt. Commander

Quote:
You are really pushing hard to complete the project list.
Thank you Mike. I got everything finished late tonight. The arch drops down perfectly to clear the shop door. I hope to be on the water in 9 hours

Old 11-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #33
Admiral

After all that I would be way to wasted to feel like boating the next day.

BTY some nice looking cars in post 28.

Mike
Old 11-15-2015, 12:53 AM   #34
Lt. Commander

Quote:
After all that I would be way to wasted to feel like boating the next day.

BTY some nice looking cars in post 28.
Thank you. Cars are my other love!

We left at 9:00 am this morning and we were at Catalina by 10:00 am. We circled the harbor for a little bit and then came back with a few stops along the way mid-channel. I have never seen the water so calm. What a great break in trip. I had my jacket off by mid-morning and the boat ran great with 72 miles round trip and almost 4 mpg!

I got home and cleaned it down and even had a chance to use my new LED bilge light.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:11 AM   #35
Admiral

Looks like a great time, makes me long for a boat outing. 50's here and the boats down for her winter nap.

Mike
Old 11-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #36
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Looks like a great time, makes me long for a boat outing. 50's here and the boats down for her winter nap.
Still El Nino over here so no winter naps. Would be great to have a outing buddy.

The gas gauge is off apparently. It showed just below 3/4 but I filled up at Costco this morning and it took 30 gallons. With a 72 mile trip that makes the mpg 2.4 which seems normal. I also never turned it off the whole trip so lets call it 2.5 mpg with medium trim tabs. Sound about right?
Old 11-15-2015, 10:17 PM   #37
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleo56 View Post
Still El Nino over here so no winter naps. Would be great to have a outing buddy.

The gas gauge is off apparently. It showed just below 3/4 but I filled up at Costco this morning and it took 30 gallons. With a 72 mile trip that makes the mpg 2.4 which seems normal. I also never turned it off the whole trip so lets call it 2.5 mpg with medium trim tabs. Sound about right?

Yep sounds right. Hit mid 60's today so I went to the marina and ran into some friends, live aboard was grilling.

Great day!

Mike
Old 11-18-2015, 12:44 AM   #38
Captain

2.5 is great fuel mileage!! I was happy to get 2 with my old 21' cuddy. Plan for 1 with my 3000 SCR.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:33 PM   #39

I am jealous. Here it's 50's (F) during the day and 20's @ night. Too cold to boat and way too warm to ski. This is the crappy between seasons where all I have to do is catch up on work and projects.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #40
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Yep sounds right. Hit mid 60's today so I went to the marina and ran into some friends, live aboard was grilling.

Great day!
The boat came with a Magma if you are ever on the West Coast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar7r View Post
2.5 is great fuel mileage!! I was happy to get 2 with my old 21' cuddy. Plan for 1 with my 3000 SCR.
I guess I should be happy with 2.5 then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
I am jealous. Here it's 50's (F) during the day and 20's @ night. Too cold to boat and way too warm to ski. This is the crappy between seasons where all I have to do is catch up on work and projects.
No snow around these parts. I am lucky I do not have to wrap the boat up. I can do little crap to it all winter long.