Old 06-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2002 maxum 2400 air conditioner access

My slip neighbor owns a 2002 maxim 2400 and I was attempting to help him with his ac unit. It is mounted under the helm seat and can be accessed by removing a 10" access panel in the aft cabin which is not even wide enough for my chest to fit in between. Is there any way to get more access? Does more of the ceiling drop down somehow, or do you need to cut a hole under the helm seat? I need some assistance please! Thanks.

Doug

douglee25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Admiral

welcome to the zoo doug....well....that access panel is it....unless you can pull the filter out too..that should give you plenty of access thru the filter...should be a fairly large silver looking thing in the bkhd...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
welcome to the zoo doug....well....that access panel is it....unless you can pull the filter out too..that should give you plenty of access thru the filter...should be a fairly large silver looking thing in the bkhd...

SP
Well if that's the case, I honestly don't believe the AC unit can even fit between the opening. I literally can not get my chest between the opening. I guess we're going to have to cut an access hole up top and trim it off with a hatch.

Doug
Old 06-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #4

Before you start cutting holes, take a closer look at the access panel. There are many places where the systems are installed before the hull and deck are 'married' and the rub rail goes on. I've found they installed all the plumbing and electrical including hose and wire clamps before the boat is fully assembled. I've found wire connectors which cannot be accessed after the fact. However, that being said, this is a significant piece of mechanical equipment and I would HOPE they aniticipated the eventual need to repair or replace it. I've found every upholstered bulkhead is removable, though not always easy. Take a much closer look at the bulkhead where the 'hatch' in the mid-berth is located. You should find screws buried in the carpeting which can remove the entire piece. Even the upholstered bulkhead seperating the v-berth from the anchor locker which holds the interior anchor locker hatch is completely removable. Dig a little deeper before cutting access holes.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Before you start cutting holes, take a closer look at the access panel. There are many places where the systems are installed before the hull and deck are 'married' and the rub rail goes on. I've found they installed all the plumbing and electrical including hose and wire clamps before the boat is fully assembled. I've found wire connectors which cannot be accessed after the fact. However, that being said, this is a significant piece of mechanical equipment and I would HOPE they aniticipated the eventual need to repair or replace it. I've found every upholstered bulkhead is removable, though not always easy. Take a much closer look at the bulkhead where the 'hatch' in the mid-berth is located. You should find screws buried in the carpeting which can remove the entire piece. Even the upholstered bulkhead seperating the v-berth from the anchor locker which holds the interior anchor locker hatch is completely removable. Dig a little deeper before cutting access holes.
Agreed. I am going to look one more time to see if there is an additional ceiling panel in the aft cabin that will increase the ability to access the AC. If not, then we'll have to find a different way. There is enough room in the current access hole to remove and clean the filters, but there is not enough room to put your body near the unit to run any sort of tests.

Doug
Old 06-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
Ensign

Ok to update this thread in case anyone else out there has this problem.... I found a larger access panel within the aft cabin ceiling which was removable via hidden screws. When I initially went down there about a year ago, it was dark, super humid, and I guess I just overlooked the panel. Within that larger panel is the smaller panel that is used for filter access. Nevertheless, I was able to get the unit out. Problem was a failed triac which kept the fan motor from running. I replaced the board with a used one from a local marine AC supplier for a 1/3rd of the cost of new. New boards were almost $600 now. Anyway, problem is resolved and blowing cold air.

Doug
Old 06-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
Admiral

cool..thanks for the report out doug!!...glad you were able to get it resolved...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #8

Glad you were able to avoid the fiberglass work.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote