Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-26-2015, 01:39 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 2000 2800 scr eising glass leak

Hello all! New to the club and boating. Love the forums. Wife and I bought a 2000 Maxum 2800 SCR last March. It's our first boat...ever...I'm 42! We boat in Lake Erie out of Marblehead, OH. We both are now addicts. The issue I'm having is when it rains, water pours in between my aft eising glass and where the radar arch and boat come together on both sides. It soaks the carpet and the starboard bench cushion. I bought a bulk row of weather stripping, it's pretty thick, it is like the seal on the eising glass that seals to the windshield. Before I remove all the snaps and start this project I wanted to know what you all have to seal your eising glass. Any pictures of it would be great! Thank you all for any help in advance!

Rice's Raft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:23 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome to the website! Nice boat and congrats on your purchase. I have a 3000 and very similar eisenglass set as yours, just a little bigger.

Ok if I got this right and the rain is coming in around the arch and not the aft gunnel here I go.

My first question is where the eisenglass snaps on to arch is that very tight? It should be to help make that a tight seal. On my glass I have about a 1/4 inch lip of stripping on outside of the glass for a good tight seal.

I would just go through and check how tight your seal is between your snaps and arch. Maybe try some colored water in a spray bottle as last resort.

I would also suggest if you not taken one but a Safe Boating class this winter and come this spring get a vessel safety check. Go to www.usps.org to find a class and a inspection.

Good luck and welcome!

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:06 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks for your time and help biggerseagar. There is no seal on my eising glass. It's canvas, eising glass and snaps. Where the aft gunnel & arch come together both are beveled at the connection which leaves about a 1/2" gap between the eising glass and the surface of the boat. I need to add a snap in the beveled area along with the seal I'm installing.

Thank you for the safety advice. When we finally decided to buy a boat last year I took a boating safety course before we bought ours. My neighbor at the marina is a certified safety inspector so I had him do the check. I've been reading & researching for about 5 years. Studied charts of the lake, also went for a couple of boat rides with people I trust before taking the plunge and buying our boat. If I'm going to be responsible for everyone's safety out on the water, for me, I needed to do all that first.

Thanks again for your time to help, I hope I can pay it forward sometime on here!
Matt
Old 01-26-2015, 12:05 PM   #4
Admiral

Matt welcome aboard.

Not sure I totally am following you, posting a picture may help. If the aft curtain is made properly there should be no gap. Does this happen whenever it rains or just if the wind blows it at the right direction?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #5

I've all my canvas and eisinglass replaced and it still leaks. Most of mine comes running down the gunnel/walkway (if you could call it that). I have a bunch that runs on the underside of the arch and finds its way in that way as well. Pull your carpets when you leave and when it rains. Move down below when it rains or move to somewhere dry. I'm not sure how much of this you're actually going to be able to stop.

We have a 1997 2800 and it is one of the reasons Hard Top is on our NEED list for the next boat.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #6
Admiral

As you can see Matt I have added to my back flap to make it longer so that the rain goes over the aft gunnel instead of inside. I think you can see the black weather stripping that runs up the arch also. This is my second set of eisenglass for our boat and as you can see I had to add canvas by just using snaps to put this all together. Many years ago I bought a nice C-clamp to put these snaps together. Beats the hell out of using one of those hammer and spike devises.

My wife has a sewing machine that little projects like this she can do for me instead of hiring the canvas maker for big bucks. She also made a cover for the door which IMHO is the biggest cause for letting rain in. Whatever the case you just have to fine tune yours and what Shrew said, that this is not a 100% thing, you will get alittle water, you just want to stop the river! I would also this spring clean your canvas and spray it with a water repellant to keep all of your canvas in good shape.

Kudos on your safe boating class!!

Hope this helps
Old 01-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Thanks everyone for the insight. Here is a picture of my canvas. The only leak I have on all of the canvas is where the arch mount seam is. I've got some trial & error ahead of me but I can't believe I need a different boat to get out of the rain. I think I'll start by removing the snaps and putting the weather stripping in behind the new snaps then probably have to add a twist snap on the boat closer to the seam. I'll take pictures of the process just in case someone else needs some ideas. I really appreciate the help...great site great group!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0855 - Version 2.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	3919
Old 01-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #8
Admiral

Boy did I overkill that one! A thousand pardons Matt........

I see where the lip or seam of the arch and where it meets the boat you have a nice little valley for water to run. Maybe caulk that seam where the arch meets the boat. You could double up on some weather stripping starting just at the seam and just go down with it 2 or 3 inches that it is.

Good Luck...
Old 01-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #9
Lt. JG

I have a 98 2800 scr my aft canvas snaps on the inside of the radar arch,then on the outside when it gets to the boat.
Lawnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
Lt. JG

Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	3920 Here's a picture
Lawnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #11
Admiral

Definitely custom made...
Old 01-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #12
Lieutenant

My 2700 SCR had a similar issue and what I did was buy a roll of butyl tape and apply strips that are long enough to divert the water to the outside of the gunwale. These would divert the rainwater to the outside and I would just remove them and store them in a Ziploc when the boat was being used. I actually ran the tape along to the inside of the radar arch where it attached to the gunwale and then aft of the arch and then angle toward the outside of the hull. Not the best solution, but it kept the rain water from running down into boat. The attached picture is a crude attempt to show how the tape was routed in "red".
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20140708_015.jpg  
Old 01-28-2015, 01:42 AM   #13
Lt. JG

No overkill there biggerseagar, I may take your add-a-flap method for the aft curtain above the door way to keep the wind from blowing in on those cold spring & fall days. Thanks lawnman if I can't get the seal to work I'm going to reattach the ising glass like yours, that definitely would fix my leak thank you for the picture! This year I refuse to pull up my carpet & remove both bench cushions every time I leave the boat in case it rains! Thank you guys for the support!
Old 01-28-2015, 02:00 AM   #14
Lt. JG

cdhunter that is hilarious! Great minds think a like! I did the exact same thing but I used half inch weather strip with double sided tape instead of butyl tape & just stuck it to the gunwale. But I want to fix it right. Thanks for the picture.