Old 06-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 1997 2800 SCR Purchase

I'm about to purchase a 1997 2800 in excellent condition. It has twin 4.3 LX engines with Alpha gen II outdrives. Anyone have experience with this boat and know the performance specs. The boat is loaded less a gen and spot light. What is a reasonable price to pay. Looking to cruise the upper Chesapeake...

Milt P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Admiral

welcome to the zoo...sounds like a nice boat..the twins will be nice for docking and manuevering.....I'm sure one of our other members in your area will chime in but it's a nice roomy boat for 2..

post some pic's when you get a chance..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks, I'm pretty excited planning to purchase Wednes...Boat was survey'd two seasons ago so I'm just going to sea trial and review service records. All records are available and will be part of sale. Engine was just tuned and out drives were fully serviced 3 years ago. This boat is really nice - hope the sea trial goes well. What should I look for; uniform manifold temp, electrical, AC, etc. Pictures to come.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #4
Admiral

well...before seatrials...I'd get a mechanical survey done....they will do some serious compression checks..temps checks....oil pressure ...etc.....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 06-07-2010, 02:15 AM   #5
Lt. JG

Boat was surveyed two season ago will review and seatrial...Can't see spending $600 if engines run good and aren't over heating
Old 06-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #6

I have the exact same year, make model. The only difference is ours came with the single 454. We repowered with a 496. I wish I had the twin 4.3's, replacing both would most likely still be cheaper than the 496 and they are more fuel efficient.

2 years is too long. Get the boat surveyed.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Admiral

alot can happen in 2 yrs...believe me things on a boat can go down hill very fast without proper care...so...I'd get the survey..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 06-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
Lt. JG

So I know classic wisdom says get the survey but I'm going to gamble on what I see and what the records show. The marina service center told me he boat is tip top. They just commissioned it and did some service work; fixed trim tab faulty wire and cleaned carbs. I will review the records tomorrow in preparation for the sea trial. The bottom paint looks good the outdrives are 4 years old and the anodes are new. I'm going to check the electrical system - does it work and run the air, use the windless - what else. I'm so satisfied with what I see and the price I'm paying a few thousand in surprise repairs won't matter. Why is this wrong headed?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
Admiral

wrong headed??...well...it's your money...your headache.....we're just trying to get a bit better deal for you...you see...if they find something wrong with the engines/drives..this can be used to get a cheaper price in negotiations...however, if the owner says..hey..I'll fix it...then you get a perfectly running boat for the same price...
lets go to the present day...you buy the boat as is....you find you need new couplers or the manifolds are partially blocked after say a month of use....guess what.....your stuck with the bill......could be a few boat bucks ...(1 boat buck = 1k dollars US)...see the issues???...your running along all dumb fat and happy when you blow and engine....guess who is stuck with the repair when a survey might have caught say a leaking head gasket....

just my 2 cents here but if I was looking at a used boat....I'd sure as heck want to know how the engines/drives were maintained....
but that's just me.
SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 06-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
Captain

most of the times a boating company gives a guaranty for the first season the buyer is going to use it.........do you have that.......i never bought a second hand boat without it, because salesmen can tell you the most fantastic stories......but when the money is on their account and the machines etc are not working the way it should be, well most times you have a problem, because then they say.....what you see is what you get.....and i think you did'nt earn the money by stealing it but working hard for it.....

and i like gambeling too........a few bucks....but not with thousands of dollars because that's what were talking about if something is wrong (most times it shows up after a few times using the boat)

but anyway....congratulations with the boat...and have a lot off fun with it

greatz, ed

(just somebody who is in to boating for about 30 years with a lot of experiance with buying boats.....and never took a gamble with it)

ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote