Old 09-10-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default 1992 2300 SCR - No DC power at all!

I have a 1992 2300 SCR which has been in storage for 10 years! I am in the process of re-commisioning it!

Aside from a new engine, and a very good cleaning - the boat's in very decent shape.

However - I am trying to fire up the DC electrical system, and *nothing* is working. The battery is good, and the battery switch is routing power to the cable that would connect to the engine (if the engine was installed).

But alas - no lights, fans, cabin, deck - anything!

So it has to be a very "gross" problem. I don't have a wiring diagram for the boat, so am a bit confused.

1. How does the power (for non-engine stuff) get routed to the rest of the boat? Where does it come from? There are three wires connected to the battery. The one thick one goes to the switch box, which then goes to the engine. One thin one looks like it goes directly to the hydraulic pump for the trim tabs, and I don't know where the other goes.

2. The giant cable the would connect to the enigne (if it were installed). Is there another wire that is supposed to connect to [the engine, to this] to the rest of the boat - or does it come from someplace more "direct"?

3. Where does the boat's main DC stuff feed from. The electrical panel underneath the help?

4. If so, I'd assume there is a cable that goes from the helm to the batteries (or switch box, or engine)? Is this true?

5. Is there any sort of "master" fuse that could be blown, preventing all this from working? Again, *everything* is dead.

BTW - all the AC stuff is fine. Shore power, receptacles, refrigerator, battery charger, hot water heater, etc.

On a related note - anyone know where I can get the manuals??

Thanks,

-BKG

bkgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Soo....

I am reading the closet manual I could find, which was from the 1996 SCR line. It says:

"both the engine and accesory circuts are protected b a large circuit breaker located on the engine."

Seeing as how I *have no engine* .... (not really sure how to finish the question...)

I have a big fat wire that connects to where the engine would go. Wouldn't this circuit breaker connect to this? Wouldn't some other wire come from this and feed the fuse panel under the help? (Am I onto it??)

Old 09-10-2011, 02:46 AM   #3
Commander

There is a 1992 Sport Boat / Runabout manual here:
http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum/content.php/177

I would guess this is probably more accurate than the 96 manual. Now it does not show a 2300 in this one though it does have 2100 and 2400 models. What it shows is very similar to my 96 2100SR though.
So from what I can tell from the diagram and from my own experience with mine, 1 small wire goes from Batt + to Bilge Pump Float switch. 1 medium wire goes from Batt + to Trim motor and the large battery cable goes from Batt + to the engine somewhere. I am not 100% sure where though as I have never traced it out. I would have guesed it went to a slave solenoid or breaker of some sort. From there I would have guessed it connected to another large cable that fed the starter and fed the fuse block under the dash. It definitely shows a harness with a plug so do you have that at least?

Page 44 of PDF (page 42 according to # on bottom of page) shows what I think would be your wiring (or at least close to yours).
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:10 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Thanks for the link!

Your explanation - and the diagram - make sense!

I just looked down in my garage at the disassembled pile of engine parts, and yes, there is a 30-amp breaker that goes out to some wiring harness.

Long story short - I think the fact that it's in my garage (and not the boat) is my problem! ;-)

However - your explanation of my wiring seems to be more accurate than the manual - as for the float switch and trim pump wires going directly to the battery. Strange that there is no 2300SCR diagram, but close enough!

Thanks for the help!

-BKG
Old 09-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Commander

No problem at all and glad I could help a bit here. Good luck with the project and post pics as you progress with it
We like pics!
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote