Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2018, 06:51 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 05' 2700se black water hold tank filter

Previous owner was nice enough to leave me a new filter for the black water holding tank vent line.
Need to change mine based on the emissions that were noticed by the admiral after a couple of flushes.
Doesn't matter how much treatment or pump outs (every return to the dock after using it), still get a good whiff of it when you flush.

So my question is, how the heck do it get to where the filter is?
My boat has the freshwater bolted to the top of the black water tank on the starboard side. I think the vent hose with filter is secured behind the tanks as I could not budge it to move when feeling around back there.
Anyone change there's have tricks or tips they could help a guy out? unfortunately my son is now taller than I am, so I can't get him to squeeze back there.

Thanks

Piratefins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Admiral

Maxum did not install a filter from the factory so there is no standard answer here.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:36 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Maxum did not install a filter from the factory so there is no standard answer here.
Ok thanks for the response.
Definitely has a filter on it as I can feel it back there but can't get it to move so I assume it is clamped or tye-wrapped to something on the back side.
Guess the PO added one? which would then explain why the hold down bolts for the 2 water tanks look like a child installed them.

I will keep up with trying to deodorize it and make the filter exchange a winter project.

Trying to fit in some of these spaces, I am starting to agree with my wife that boat engine and systems maintenance would be the perfect job for retired jockeys.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:50 PM   #4
rwc
Lt. Commander

Do you mean the vent head by any chance? The part that goes through the hull and has a little wire grating on it?

I can't imagine why a vent line would have an independent filter on it otherwise. If it does, I'd suggest you just get a new vent hose and bypass it.
rwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:24 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwc View Post
Do you mean the vent head by any chance? The part that goes through the hull and has a little wire grating on it?

I can't imagine why a vent line would have an independent filter on it otherwise. If it does, I'd suggest you just get a new vent hose and bypass it.
It’s a charcoal filter that filters out holding tank fumes. A must if you use the head for solid waste and don’t want to stink up the marina.

Mike
Old 07-31-2018, 12:33 AM   #6
Ensign

Quote:

Referring to one of these https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1200_.jpg

Its the inline holding tank filter that is supposed to help cut down the holding tank smell when you flush.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:47 PM   #7

Quote:

Nope, please DO NOT do this.

Placing a charcoal filter on the holding tank vent line is perfectly normal. We've been doing it for well over a decade. When the head is flushed, the contents pumped into the holding tank need to displace air through the vent line. This displaces holding tank odors each time you flush. An inline vent filter eliminates these odors.

Locate the holding tank. Locate the vent line. (It will be the smallest diameter hose connected to the top side of the tank (it might be at the top of a sidewall). Trace the vent line from the tank to the through hull. You will locate the vent filter inline along that route. They are usually fairly close to the holding tank itself.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
rwc
Lt. Commander

Ah, ok. Please forgive my ignorance and ignore my comment. My boat doesn’t have a filter.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:08 PM   #9
rwc
Lt. Commander

Out of curiosity, I went and checked a bunch of ship vent diagrams and found that none of the blackwater tanks have filters. Not really relevant, but interesting none the less.

I would have guessed that you wouldn't want to increase backpressure on the vent line by adding a filter, lest the gas find an easier path back into the boat when the tank temperature rises.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:19 AM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Out of curiosity, I went and checked a bunch of ship vent diagrams and found that none of the blackwater tanks have filters. Not really relevant, but interesting none the less.

I would have guessed that you wouldn't want to increase backpressure on the vent line by adding a filter, lest the gas find an easier path back into the boat when the tank temperature rises.
Not much restriction in them, coated mesh so air flows freely. Add on that’s been around for a long time and works well.

Mike
Old 08-01-2018, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:

Vent filters are typically an aftermarket installation. No backpressure or issues either flushing or pumping out. Gases discharge through the vent line. The discharge line from the head to the holding tank is always full and acts like a trap. The joker valve prevents fluid backflow, therefore gases can't back vent into the head from the discharge line.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:40 PM   #12
Admiral

Do we even know what type of head the OP has?

I would not think the line between the head and the tank would be full if it's a vacuflush system... I could be wrong though.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
Do we even know what type of head the OP has?

I would not think the line between the head and the tank would be full if it's a vacuflush system... I could be wrong though.
IIRC, It should be between the pump and the holding tank. Empty between the head and the pump.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #14

The context was around gasses backflowing. A vacuflush should have a sealed ball valve on the head itself which would also prevent backflowing of odors.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:21 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

It's funny my dockmates and I had this very conversation this weekend. So we found that half of us had filters and half did not (varying type hulls 2400, 2700, 3200, 3800 Maxum and Sea Ray). And the ones with filters didn't really smell that much better, probably because they needed to replace the filter they didn't know they had. Just one more filter to add to your winterizing or summerizing list.

On the 2700scr the after market filters were typically placed between the forward engine room bulkhead and the water tanks. Pretty easy access with hose clamps. Our marina charges $150 to replace (parts included). There is a guy on U tube who cut his old filter in half and made it refillable with activated charcoal each year.
MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:38 PM   #16
Admiral

I know folks who made a filter out of PVC pipe and use fish tank medium.

Mike
Old 08-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #17
Lt. Commander

Good Topic
My 32 Maxum SCR smells at times but seems only after 3-4 days not used i do think it is the sea water low tide smell ?? if i use shore water when on standby at end of day there is no smell most times . Do people run city water to there flusher for smell or holding tank fresh water ?
Winter Project thinking about
Thanks
PS: filter is 5 months old and vent is new on side of boat
gmc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #18
Captain

My experience (after living on-board for a few months) is:
1) Some type of treatment is required. Either an enzyme or chemical based.
2) Following directions is imperative. Some treatments need lots of air.
3) Filters can help, but are not replacements for proper tank treatments.
4) Homemade or hacking into a store bought filter and replacing activated charcoal works.
5) Most common failure of filters are overfilling tank and 'contaminating' filter with black water and/or improper installation.

Bottom line.. Poop stinks until broken down. Controlling the odor while it happens is the key. I scrapped the enzyme additives and went back to the cheap blue stuff (RV brand from Walmart), use plenty of water, replaced vent line with larger diameter and better routing. That takes care of all but a tiny bit of smell. I just put back in a home made filter with the activated charcoal and the last bit is now gone.
Btw. Pumping/rinsing at least once every 2 or so weeks helps.

John
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc60 View Post
Good Topic
My 32 Maxum SCR smells at times but seems only after 3-4 days not used i do think it is the sea water low tide smell ?? if i use shore water when on standby at end of day there is no smell most times . Do people run city water to there flusher for smell or holding tank fresh water ?
Winter Project thinking about
Thanks
PS: filter is 5 months old and vent is new on side of boat
I think we might be talking about 2 different things. The vent filter prevents odor outside of the boat (or towards the stern) specifically when people flush.

Yes, when we had a manual flush, we used to flush freshwater into the bowl and dry flush the freshwater back to the holding tank so the only thing in the bowl and discharge line was freshwater. That helps with odors inside the head and inside the boat in general.

It is best to ensure the contents of the holding tank don't sit for more than 4-5 days. If you're a weekend warrior this means getting pumped out every Sunday before you leave for the weekend.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #20
Lt. Commander

thank you shrew for ans my question very well yes we are just week end people but just use it for pee unless on hook .

gmc60 is offline   Reply With Quote