Old 07-25-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default What's Under the Deck behind the ski locker???

Hello, I've got a Maxum 1800MX, mercruiser 3.0L. I've mounted a kicker off the swim platform that now interferes with the ski toe eye as the mount & motor are now above the height of the eye. I am wanting to bolt a ski pylon to the floor just in front of the motor cover latch. I want to use a plate on the underside to bolt right through, sandwiching the deck, rather than just screwing the pylon base down. This area is inaccessible and I need to know what is in that compartment??? I am assuming it is free space filled with expandable styrofoam.

The area is about 2' long and runs from the stern end of the ski locker back to the where the motor compartment is. It is not accessible from the motor side. From the ski locker side there are 3 small holes about 1" across the back plywood wall of the ski locker. The holes are mostly covered with fibreglass, looks like I can see some styrofoam through one of them.

What I am thinking is cutting a hole near the top of this rear ski locker wall about 2" high by 7" wide. Just enough to fit my hand back there and hold the bottom plate in place and put on the nuts to hold the pylon base. After the pylon is mounted I would make a cover plate with a rubber gasket or something to cover up the hole and prevent water getting into that space.

Any out there that can help???

Thanks in advance,

Ken

chiroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
Ensign

If I am understanding you correctly the location you are describing is where the gas tank is on my 1900sr.

Zaigrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
Lt. JG

my gas tank is behind the rear seat, port side. Add the 100lbs of the 4 stroke 9.9 kicker to that same corner and I've got myself a list (as I found out yesterday!).

It seems that nothing goes into or out of that space. One concern is that there might be some sort of support or stringer in the area where I want to mount that plate under the deck.

I will try to get a picture of the area and post them tonight, should have done that in the 1st place.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:48 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Default pics included

Hopefully this will work, here are 3 pictures of the boat. One shows the deck section I want to mount the pylon to. 1 shows the rear wall of the ski locker with the small hole near the top.
Attached Thumbnails
boat deck 001lg.jpg   boat deck 003lg.jpg   boat deck 004lg.jpg  
Old 07-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Captain

if you look from the other side ( motorcompartiment ) i think you will see the fuel tank.......

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Can you use a mirror from the engine side to see what's back there Ken, or is there a bulk head just forward of the engine?

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
Lieutenant

I would guess that the only thing to watch out for would be the fuel line which maybe under that section....

Attached is a diagram of fuel tank locations which may help?.....from the following pdf....http://www.maxumboatparts.com/manuals/1789377.pdf

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Lee
leeADAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:46 AM   #8
Lt. JG

The fuel tank is not under the deck, it is on the port side of the engine and it runs forward underneath the seat on that side (see picture & thanks Lee for that link). The other picture shows the forward wall of the engine compartment (interesting way to hold the camera blind and shoot back at myself!) below the deck. Looks like fiberglass covered plywood to me. I can see/feel nothing entering/leaving that wall. You can see the fuel line traverse the wall going from (obviously) the fuel tank to the fuel water separator I had installed.

This help at all?
Attached Thumbnails
boat engine 001 smaller.jpg   boat engine 002 smaller.jpg