Old 08-31-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
Ensign

Default What are some of the must haves must have more power

just want some more power 2007 1800SR3 4.3L
Thanks a lot

joelyoely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
Admiral

horsepower is the square root of the dollar.....

meaning the more money you spend...the more horsepower you'll get....
SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

What's your budget? What's your goal? I'm sure we could help you spend your money!

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
Ensign

Yes, the square root of the $$ means the rule of dimishing marginal returns is in play. Or in layman's terms each additional $ gets you less horsepower than the previous $$

The 1800 SR3 4.3 has two versions - carbureted @ 190hp - MPI @ 220hp. I have the 190hp version and it is fine for watersports (21" prop - be careful not to over-rev) and cruising (23" prop - top end in low 50's). I imagine the 220hp really flys. Not sure that adding MPI after the fact is in-expensive, easy or even recommended. But I'm an accountant not a mechanic.

If money was no object, you could just buy the more powerful engine and swap it - talk about diminishing marginal returns!

The accountant would start with a tune-up and a couple of propeller options.
bt63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks a lot, ya I am the carb version I forgot to say, also forgot to say I added 4 blade stainless prop but I don't know the angle of it. What was this about watching the rpm hmm never was told bout from dealer guess that's why there out of business anyways I'm 250 lb and seems all my friends are to, went wake boarding the other weekend with less than 750 lb of people boat could get me up but not on the plane, I got up before with more weight in the boat so I'm thinking tune up also most likely but just seeing if any other good power improvements r there too.

Does that wing that people put on the leg really work???
joelyoely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
Ensign

The prop dimensions should be stamped on the prop - diameter X pitch - for instance 14 X 21
Generally, the lower the prop pitch #, the better the acceleration, the lower the top end speed, but the higher the RPM. You really don't want to rev the motor higher than 4800 RPM - frequent overrevving will blow up something. With the 21" prop, my boat will do at least 5000 and probably 5200 ( I didn't dare go over 5000).
But at 4800 RPM, it still does 44MPH.

I do have a small set of wings, and they do help the boat plane faster, but they also slow up the top-end a couple of MPH. Other people use smart-tabs - see other postings on this.

Finally - for pulling people out of the water - have you tried making the big guys sit in the bow?
SOP in our boat.
bt63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

And now you see why I went from an 18ft boat to a 24 ft boat to a 36 ft boat. The smaller boats are great just can't be overloaded. Without a doubt if you want to do watersports you better have 60-70 percent of the weight in the bow.
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
Commander

As a fellow 1800 owner I can assure you it would be easier to buy a faster boat than try and make your current 4.3 'faster'. Back when we boated on lakes and rivers, in glass conditions with just myself and the wife I could top out at 50mph @4200 with a 23" prop and the drive trimmed up quite a bit. Now that we boat in the Gulf of Mexico and rarely have glass water, top end speed became moot. Trim tabs have been hands down, the best upgrade to my boat.

racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote