Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Stereo upgrade

Last year I replaced my stock indash receiver with a new JVC 4 channel 50 watt unit. This week I replaced the stock 6.5" inch jvc speakers with a pair of BOSS 6.5's. Added a 6" sub woofer tube under the dash and everything sounds awsome. Best part is, it only cost me $175.00 for everything. JVC receiver $95.00, BOSS speakers $35.00, Sub woofer tube $42.00. The subwoofer is a Shark brand motorcycle sub woofer, not sure were you put this thing on a motorcycle, but it fit perfectly under the dash and sounds great. No extra amps so no big power draw from the batteries. I have a 1800 sr and you cant see any equipment but you sure can hear it. The only modification was enlarging the cutout for the stock speakers slightly.

Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
Admiral

my first question is ....is this a marine grade radio and speakers....???...if not ..then chances are it won't last with the moisture and salt corrosion.....

:arr arr

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Lt. JG

We are in a fresh water river. After a year the deck still looks like new, it is not marine grade, but is mounted in the glove box. The BOSS speakers are marine grade and can be found on ebay. The motorcycle sub is also marine grade and can be found on ebay. Dont get me wrong, it doesnt sound like a KISS concert on the water but for the money I spent I could not have hoped for more than I got.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Sounds very nice Danny. I run two MB QUART twelves under the dash in fiberglassed boxes, 3 sets of marine clarion 6.5 components in the boat, a set of marine clarion coaxial 5.25 on the tower and it is powered by seperate amps. Rockfard p802 for subs and a 4 channel amp for the mid/highs. Neither amp is "marine rated" but they are under the hood and I have had them for several years with no problems yet. I have a marine amp ready to go when/if they do ever die. I also had to put a high output alternater and relay with extra batteries to keep it pwered up. The relay works great as it seperated the the main cranking battery from the stereo batteries when the boat is off. The cd player is a marine clarion as well. Definetely set up a relay if you add another battery to your setup. I have a few extra batteries. The down side is the added weight that it brings.
dsbunton646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
Lt. JG

What model Maxum?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #6
Lt. JG

Do you have any pics?
Old 05-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Mine is a 1999 1900 sr. I have a few pics, of the boat but none specifically of the stereo install. I can take some of the it when I get it back. It is currently at a boat shop getting some cosmetic upgrades, wetsand, buff etcc.
dsbunton646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
Lt. Commander

Cool Upgrade Reward

Hey Danny-

I have an 1800SR that I bought new in '92. Finally spent some money, a lot more than your upgrade (over $600) in 2010. The head unit was a Kenwood HD545U 4 chan. x 50W which powers the Polk Audio DB521 x 4 in the boat. On the tower (added in 2008) I installed a custom speaker box with Polk Audio DB651 spkrs that were pwr'd by a Kenwood KAC-6404 4 chan. amp. Up in the bow I mounted a Polk Audio DB1240 12" sub that is pwr'd by a Kenwood KAC-8105D sub amp. I also added a 1.2 farad capacitor to help the alternator and save my battery (only one). Needless to say after all the hard work it came out fantastic. Some of the photos are in my album which is public (deanries / 1992 1899SR). The sound is incredible plus the USB port on the head unit gives days of tunes off the thumb drive. We were born to live off of sound! Way to go on your project. My boat is also on our club website so check out www.ridekawa.com.

Dean (deanries) "Go Big or Go Home"
deanries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

Danny-

My boat is an 1800SR, sorry about my spelling error-oops!

Dean
Old 06-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #10
Lt. JG

Post pics of the woofer, I'm curious
DJ63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

DJ63-

There are several photos of the subwoofer install, a 12" Polk Audio installed in the bow bulkhd in my post under Projects. There are also in the gallery under public albums which I noted in my post above. Let me know if you find them.

Dean (deanries) "Go Big or Go Home"