Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Steering on 2100SC3

I am in the process of buying a 5 year old Maxum 2100SC3 and on the sea trial noted a couple of potential issues with the steering. Firstly I thought it was quite heavy, even though its power assisted. Is this normal? Secondly, there was quite a lot of free play in the steering - again is this normal? I'd really appreciate a response from other owners. Many thanks in advance. Rgds. Ian

ian.baxter@btinternet.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Welcome to the site, Ian.

Difficult to define "quite heavy", as what is preceived as heavy (or light) by one may not be by another. Said, I would define the steering effort of my 2004 MY 2400SC3 as fairly light, needing nothing more than a single hand or a stiff finger. Heavy steering could be attributed to several things; power steering pump is weak or low on fluid, a slipping drive belt, the cable from the helm to the steering linkage is worn, needs lubrication, or is binding, or the steering linkage itself needs service. As to the free play, again, could be several things but understand that the steering systems in boats just are not as accurate and tight as those in cars. Nevertheless, inspect the steering system from helm to drive; have someone move the wheel left and right a little and look for play. The drive should move almost as quickly as the wheel does.

Have you had a mechanic inspect the boat?

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Ensign

Dan

Many thanks for your response and you make some good points. I'll have these looked into when boat is fully serviced a part of the purchase agreement.The boat has only run for 103 hrs, so unlikely there will be too much of problem...., but you never know.

Regards

Ian
ian.baxter@btinternet.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Good luck with it, Ian, let us all know what you find.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote