Old 06-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Speedometer, drive oil

I finally got my 1800 SR in the water this weekend. After my early trials getting the motor running, I was really happy with how it ran and operated. I did find a couple things:

The speedometer isn't working. I found some early posts that mention a port on the outdrive that could be clogged. I'll check that, but is there anything else to look at? How can I check the gauge?

The Alpha One drive unit has an oil resevoir. After running the boat this weekend, I noticed that the oil has become cloudy. I'm guessing it's water. I've been told that a little water is ok, but the manual seems to be pretty adamant about fixing the issue. Advice?

rscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Send a message via AIM to TBarCYa

For the speedometer, you can disconnect the hose at the drive and have someone watch the gauge while you blow into the tube. If you go the compressed air route, make sure you don't use much pressure or you risk damaging the gauge. What I do is disconnect the hose and spray some wd-40 into the drive side. If it comes out, you know the drive is clear but if not, you will want to HAND drill the port to clear it. You'll know when you've gone far enough because the water/wd-40 will come out.

As far as the drive oil, was it replaced right before going in the water or is it old oil? In either case, you will want to change the drive oil because any water in the oil will cause the gears/bearings/shafts (all of the steel parts) to rust and fail. If it's old oil, it's possible that it's old water too and maybe not indicative of a current issue but if it's new oil that's contaminated that quickly, you definitely want to have it checked out.

2008 Maxum 1800MX - 'Lottie-Da'
https://www.tombarcia.net/lottie-da/index.htm
TBarCYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks Tom. The drive oil is new, just replaced it. I did see a little water (couple tablespoons) when I drained the old, but didn't worry too much about it. Wonder how bad it is in there?
rscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

You might change the drive oil again. This time, flush the drive with some extra oil from the top side to make sure it is all empty of old oil and any water. Take notice when it drains of any white streaks (water). Then remove the resevoir and clean it out completely. Replace the drain and vent gaskets when you replace/refill the drive oil. If those gaskets were old and not replaced they may have let a little water in. If it gets cloudy again, you have problems and I would definetly get it fixed before it causes more serious damage.
If it was just recently done and the the gaskets were replaced on the vent and drain screws, you may just want to have a shop pressure check it for you. A test won't be that expensive and should tell you if you need to have repairs done or at least help with peace of mind.
dsbunton646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBarCYa View Post
For the speedometer, you can disconnect the hose at the drive and have someone watch the gauge while you blow into the tube. If you go the compressed air route, make sure you don't use much pressure or you risk damaging the gauge. What I do is disconnect the hose and spray some wd-40 into the drive side. If it comes out, you know the drive is clear but if not, you will want to HAND drill the port to clear it. You'll know when you've gone far enough because the water/wd-40 will come out.

As far as the drive oil, was it replaced right before going in the water or is it old oil? In either case, you will want to change the drive oil because any water in the oil will cause the gears/bearings/shafts (all of the steel parts) to rust and fail. If it's old oil, it's possible that it's old water too and maybe not indicative of a current issue but if it's new oil that's contaminated that quickly, you definitely want to have it checked out.
Sorry to interupt here, but the only thing not working on my boat is the speedo, anyone got a pic of where this pipe attaches to the drive?
Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
Admiral

I don't have a pic...but lift the drive up in trailer mode....now look at the drive almost up where it attaches and you'll see a black tube come down and attach to the drive..dead ctr ..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Send a message via AIM to TBarCYa

And the hole that gets clogged is in the leading edge of the drive and looks like a little notch taken out of it. Even if it looks clear, it could be clogged on the inside so use a drill bit by hand to clear it. If you're going to use a power drill, make sure that you watch the crap that comes out for signs of aluminum that means you're going too deep or not straight. Also, you will want to spray something in the drive where you remove the tube so that you know when it's clear. You'll know because whatever liquid you put in there will start running out.

This is the best pic that google images could find...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Disch&itbs=1

2008 Maxum 1800MX - 'Lottie-Da'
https://www.tombarcia.net/lottie-da/index.htm
TBarCYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Thanks for that chaps

Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote