Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Replacing a rotted section of floor in 1800SR

I have a spot in the floor on my 1995 1800 SR (aft starboard) that seems to be spongy. It's the spot where everyone steps to get into the boat. I'm assuming I have some rotten wood, so I'm planning to pull the carpet and replace at least that section. Has anyone done this? I searched the forum, but haven't found anything about replacing the floor. Recomendations on material would be appreciated. Thanks

rscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Captain

there are a few scary youtube videos of guys getting screwed and replacing the whole transom on a used boat they bought.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

i have replaced a rotted section in my boat
it was in my 2400 scr and in the engine bay
the section was the panel under the battery pack
so must have started by acid and extended by water
have cut everything away and sealed it
after that i have laminated it and have put a alumimium piece over the section
made a new closed tray for the battery pack
rens
rens914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Lt. JG

I saw a scary YouTube video: guy was using drywall screws to put plywood directly over the bad floor. I'm new to this, but I don't think that's the best way to do it.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscotta View Post
I saw a scary YouTube video: guy was using drywall screws to put plywood directly over the bad floor. I'm new to this, but I don't think that's the best way to do it.
The fastest and easiest way is rarely the proper or even best way to do something. I don't think you need to be around boats at all to know that covering rotted with good, is not hte proper way to go. Remove the old and rotted first, then replace with new and good. Drywall screws are good for just about anything.....except a boat. For that matter, anything that rusts really has no place on a boat at all.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Cool Floor Options

The best way will take work but the rotted section has to be removed with care. I'm glad my '92 1800SR has not had this problem, stored in the garage when not in use helps! I know my flooring is covered in fiberglass resin so it's a bit surprising it would rot. Good luck on your task and let us know how it turns out. The pressure treated lumber (plywood) is as good or better for the material. Doesn't rot for years and better when painted/coated. Worked great when I rehab'ed my lounge seats recently.

Dean (deanries) "Go Big or Go Home"
deanries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Dean - I'll check into the pressure treated plywood. I was assuming I should use marine grade.

I had planned to use a router set to the depth of the floor thickness to remove the rotted wood. After removal, I will coat all exposed edges with resin. I plan to cut the new peice and coat with resin offboard then install with stainless wood screws. Am I on the right track?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #8

Believe it or not, gelcoat is not waterproof. It is one of the reasons you should barrier coat before bottom painting if you store the boat in the water. Rotted wood is typically casued by an ingress of water into the wood somewhere else. Usually through srew holes for deck fittings (seats, cleats, rail stanchions, bimini tops, etc). Once it, water wicks to the most interesting places. Where it settles is typically where it rots.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
Lt. JG

The spot that is spongy is the aft starboard floor, right where everybody comes into the boat from the swim ladder. I assume it's stays wet there. Still too cold to do much with it yet anyway.

Hey Shrew? How's the weather? My sisters are in Southington and Bristol. They got hammered, one didn't see a plow for 2 days.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #10

That is my boat's location. I live further north. We got about 18" of snow which is hardly a crisis. I have no idea how the boat did yet.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Any tips on rehab-ing the lounger seats, i have rot in the pedestal and seat base in a 1994 1800 sr?
cuzins101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #12
Lt. JG

I finished this project up this weekend. I removed the rotted wood and the foam below it. I let it dry out for a couple weeks before proceeding. I ordered epoxy resin, fabric, and two part expanding foam from US Composites. It went pretty well. Carpet is installed and I'm almost ready for the lake. Thanks for everyones input.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:28 AM   #13
Lt. Commander

cuzins101-

I have completely rehabbed my lounger seats in my '92 1800SR in the last few years. If you look at my album you will see some of the photos. Took some work but they came out great. The base structure was in good shape for me. Give me a private message and I'll send more photos to your email. Also found a great vinyl shop out in Washington state that can make the seats like new as for as the skins. It is called Canvas Plus. Good luck with the task but it can be done.

Dean (deanries /Go Big or Go Home)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzins101 View Post
Any tips on rehab-ing the lounger seats, i have rot in the pedestal and seat base in a 1994 1800 sr?

deanries is offline   Reply With Quote