Old 02-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Pre-purchase question -2000 Maxum 2100 BR

Hello everyone,

I am new to the board and new to boat ownership. I have been crew on many boats but have never owned my own.
I have been looking for a good boat for about 6 months and finally found one. It is a 2000 Maxum 2100SR. It seems like it is great shape and has had a lot of engine work done prior to winterization. New starter, spark plugs, new seals and filters, new pump, new alternator, new belts, and new power steering pump. He also bought a brand new Bimini that has never seen the sun. The owner is looking for $10,500 Canadian

When I asked the HIN for the boat the owner said that there isn't one. I told him to look at the starboard transom area and he said there wasn't one there. Now I know that as of 1981 that all boats had to have an HIN. I am hoping he doesn't know what he is looking for but barring that, does any know where else the HIN would be. I understand it may be in more than one location.

Also, does anyone have an electronic version of the manual for the boat. I went to the website that was recommended on this forum but couldn't find anything specific for the 2100SR.

Thank you for any and all information that you can provide. I look forward to participating in this forum and learning from all of your expertise.

Cheers,

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

diveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Ensign

Oh, I should add that a Marine surveyor will be going to give it a good going over either today or tomorrow.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Admiral

diveman welcome aboard. See link for owners manual.

http://www.maxumboatparts.com/manuals/1742430.pdf

Having the boat surveyed is a great start. Will he be performing a compression test on the engine and an oil analysis? I strongly recommend these.
He should aslo use a handheld IR thermal gun and measure engine and manifold temps
Do you know when the water pump impeller was last changed? Age of exhaust, these are water cooled and last 5 - 10 years?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
Admiral

Welcome Mike....the hin will be on your paperwork or boat title that you get from the seller. Like you said before it is around the starboard side rubrail somewhere.

I would get a clymer's service manual if your looking how to take care of your baby. The survey report will tell you engine size and out drive make and everything else you need to know

I would also look into taking a safe boating class, you might have to in canada anyway.

Good luck and congrats!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for the link to the manual. That will help immensely. The impeller was also done recently. Everything seems to be good from a mechanical standpoint. I am just waiting to hear back regarding the hull, transom and deck.
I took a power squadron course a few years ago but I am planning on taking a refresher. I may also hunt down someone locally that is very knowledgeable and ask for some hands on training.

Thanks again,

Mike

Old 02-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
Admiral

Not sure if they are in your area but first captains does beginer training for a fee and you are getting a professional.

Mike
Old 02-09-2014, 06:16 AM   #7
Ensign

I'll take a look for that. Thanks.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #8
CGG
Lt. Commander

Good luck with the survey. He will know where the HIN number is. Post pictures!
CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 AM   #9
Ensign

Well I received the survey on the boat today. The surveyor is recommending I walk away. Home made trailer has some major issues he is concerned that the HIN was ground out of the hull. He did find the other HIN but is suspicious as to why the transom HIN was ground out. There is suspicion of salt water exposure as there is a little corrosion on the deck cleats. Hull and transom checked out fine.

Take a look and let me know your thoughts.
Here are a few pictures.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:39 AM   #10
Admiral

There are many of boats in the sea that are for sale. Take the advise from your surveyor and look for another boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 AM   #11
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveman View Post
Well I received the survey on the boat today. The surveyor is recommending I walk away. Home made trailer has some major issues he is concerned that the HIN was ground out of the hull. He did find the other HIN but is suspicious as to why the transom HIN was ground out. There is suspicion of salt water exposure as there is a little corrosion on the deck cleats. Hull and transom checked out

I would walk away....the expert says there is something fishy.....he gets paid to look for this stuff.
Just seems like a big gamble if move forward with the purchase.

When I was boat shopping...there were plenty to choose from. You won't be looking long.

Good luck!

Judy my .02
Sled600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:09 AM   #12
Ensign

I think I am walking away. Still love the Maxum boats though. I am sure something else will come up.

Thanks for your feedback.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:44 AM   #13
Admiral

My first reaction is to agree with Roger. Does the boat have it's title and does the other HIN match the title? The pictures you posted look clean but you did not post the cleats that you mentioned. Just surface pitting? Is the trailer titled if not can you get the boat and not the trailer? Then buy a good trailer.

Is the seller willing to come down in price?

Mike
Old 02-10-2014, 03:55 AM   #14
Ensign

There is a pleasure craft number on the boat and he has the papers but when he registered the boat he stated that there was no HIN. now that I know there is one I am afraid to go through the change of name process and find out that the boat was stolen.

I am sure the seller would drop the price. The seller wants $10.500 but the surveyor puts a value as is at $7500. If it weren't for the HIN issue I would make an offer and then fix what needed to be fixed. The trailer is titled and can be fixed.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #15
Admiral

The boat is registered but does he have a title? No title no deal.

You would need to get it for $5K to address all the issues, I doubt he will come down that low. Time to walk.

Mike
Old 02-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
The boat is registered but does he have a title? No title no deal.

You would need to get it for $5K to address all the issues, I doubt he will come down that low. Time to walk.
Not all states title boats. New Hampshire and Ct. for example do not. Some states make it very difficult to register a boat without a title. Many other's have a title process to follow. It really depends on the requirements for the state you are going to be registering the boat in.

I just caution against such blanket statements. It is important, yet also somewhat relative. This has to do with any title.

As for this boat, there are HUGE red flags around this. There are only two reasons to grind the HIN off.

1) The boat is stolen

OR

2) The boat has been salvaged.

The manufacturer places 2 HIN's. One on the transom and one hidden somewhere else in the hull. You pay good money to have someone tell you when it's time to walk away. someone who id both knowlegeable and has no vested interest in the sale. There is no point paying good money only to ignore the advise.

When I used to climb, we assigned one person to the the climb leader. On big climbs, we'd even hire a guide. We don't need a guide or a leader, pe per to get to the top of the mountain. What we need is someone with a clear head who is not vested in the climb to decide to when it's time to turn back (regardless of how close we are to the peak). Climbers most frequently die on the decent as a result of poor decisions made during the ascent.

Listen to your surveyor.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #17
Admiral

Well put shrew, thanks for getting directly to the point.

So diveman there you have it, good luck with the next boat

Mike
Old 02-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #18
CGG
Lt. Commander

A ground off HIN is like grounding off a VIN on a car. The surveyor is going above and beyond telling you to walk. Good luck finding a BETTER boat and you will.
CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #19
Admiral

If a surveyor tells you to walk away.... RUUUUNNNN

Thats what you pay them for.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #20
Ensign

Just a quick update. I ran the HIN that we found inside the engine compartment and it came back as stolen! So glad I listened to the surveyor. Money well spent!