Old 07-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Potential New Maxum Owner

New here to the board! So I've been looking for a nice used bowrider for awhile and have found a 1994 1700SR that appears to be in really good shape....seller is asking $5,900 OBO. Seats look good, carpet looks good, gelcoat looks good....their doesn't appear to be any issues with the boat from what I can see and have been told. It was used in freshwater lakes as a fishing boat. It also has a bimini top and snap on bow and cockpit covers. I haven't been able to physically inspect the boat yet as it is 350 miles away but hoping to see where I can take the price before I decide to make the drive. $5,900 seems a bit high from what research I have done and am thinking sub $5,000. I am planning on using it as a family boat (3 people) plus maybe a couple of friends from time to time to cruise/tube/ski/knee board with a little fishing mixed in. I think the boat will fit the bill. Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks, Josh

Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Admiral

first off..welcome to the zoo...2nd depending on where your located..one of our members may be close by and can help out some....the boat will probably fit the bill but do look at getting it surveyed.....mechanical survey will tell alot...the first thing to do is to change all the fluids and impeller...2nd thing to do is take a boating safety course if you haven't already.....
good luck and keep us informed...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Joshw - I have a 1995 1800SR that I bought this year for $2500. The motor wouldn't start, but all looked to be in good shape. I replaced a bad starter and a bad ignition coil and it runs like a champ now. Don't know if that helps, but gives you an idea on price. I think sub $5K is reasonable.
rscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for the responses...they don't want to move on thier price but a couple $100. So I think it'll be back to the search.

Josh
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Josh,

I would gladly pay more than average for a boat that is in above average condition. If the boat is "average" you could well spend the difference in upgrading the average boat.

Just something to think about....

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
Lt. JG

There are a lot of variables.... according to sellers all things "look like new"... until you inspect yourself or have a survey done, everything is suspect. Other factors to figure in, that you didn't mention, are engine size, trailer, approx hours, inside/outside stored, etc. Ask to see maintenance records... oil changed, impellers replaced, tune-up, shift cables, bellows, etc.

Finally, as ss3964spd said, I am absolutely willing to pay a large premium for a boat in superior condition... pay me now or pay me later.
jkcoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #7

I can't advise on the price, however I can tell you that between the economy and the cost of fuel, it's a buyer's market. Take a look at when the seller bought the boat. See if they bought the boat in the last few years or if there is a lein on the title. Many stick to their guns because they are trying to payoff the loan. That is not your problem. If you're patient there are deal to be had out there.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #8
Ensign

I'm new to boating and bought a 1800XR. Great shape and I absolutely love it. I picked it up for 4000 last fall. Great boats, 5 isn't bad at all.

Wiesey is offline   Reply With Quote