Old 08-10-2014, 04:19 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Potential 2100SD Owner

greetings.
i am considering the purchase of a 2100SD and know nothing about them other than the limited information I can find online. Being now 5 years out of business only makes finding information harder. the boat has been sitting on its trailer in a garage for the last 4 years. the last time it was in the water was 2010. i am not even sure of the year of production. it has the bow and aft thrusters if that help narrow things at all. it has only been in the water less than 6 times but hasnt run in 4 years. if i buy it, it will be without the benefit of a test drive or even start up. i am not sure what motor it has or even what the options were (5.0 5.7 ??). can anyone share with me the pros and cons of this model and an approximate value of the boat and trailer. it has been covered but the fitted covers are covered in dirt and the garage is not climate controlled. the entire thing is covered in a 1/4" layer of red clay dust.

can anyone share with me the pros and cons of this model and an approximate value of the boat and trailer.

FLUndertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Admiral

FLU welcome aboard.

I am by no means an expert but buying a boat unran on land or in the water is taking a big risk. There could be unknown issues that the seller is either not sharing or even aware of. These can develop from sitting this long.

The thruster system was custom designed for this boat model and uses 6V batteries which I am sure need to be replaced, I think there are 3 of them. Plus the boats batteries are probably in need of replacement.

So unless you are getting a really low price to account for the risk get the boat in the water to check it out. Do you know your way around boats and what to look for? If not get a friend who does or pay a surveyor, little money up front is better than a bad investment of big dollars.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
Captain

NADA has a boat guide that may help you with the value: http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats
I wouldn't even take a guess at the value because there are so many unknowns. Be sure to check the hull ID number to ensure it hasn't been wrecked.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
Admiral

Have you never been able to survey the boat? The engine size / make should be marked on it.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Ensign

thanks guys, yeah I know I am short on details. I do know the owner and know it has never been wrecked. He bought it on a whim brand new and without a dock it became a hassle to hual into and out of the lake. it has been used about a half dozen times total. i am not even in the market for a new boat but if he really wants it gone and i can get it for silly money than I may take a chance. I am sure the batteries all need replaced. I am sure hoses and fuel lines need replaced and tanks drained. the trailer tires probably are dry rotted and the canvas covers are in bad shape. Having said all that, I wonder if its worth $5k ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	3523
Old 08-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
Captain

I think it is a very good deal at 5k. How many hours on hour meter? Can you post a picture of the motor and engine bay?
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
Admiral

5K is a good deal as long as you realize you'll probably put another 2-3K in to it to make everything right.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsick View Post
I think it is a very good deal at 5k. How many hours on hour meter? Can you post a picture of the motor and engine bay?
sorry, no access to the engine bay or helm. i have a pic of the outdrive if that tells us anything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	3524
Old 08-11-2014, 12:41 AM   #9
Admiral

Bravo 3. Good quality outdrive but is that the original skeg?
Old 08-11-2014, 01:31 AM   #10
Admiral

For $5K it is hard to believe you could go wrong.
Looks like as skeg guard to help protect it.

As stated by yourself and others a few dollars to make her usable but in the end the total investment should be less than book value.

Mike
Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
For $5K it is hard to believe you could go wrong.
Looks like as skeg guard to help protect it.

As stated by yourself and others a few dollars to make her usable but in the end the total investment should be less than book value.
Thank you sir. Is there an online list of what "options" may have been available on this model? Also what the easiest way for me to determine what year it is? Where might I find the "hull number" or other VIN type number that may provide me some useful information. I wish I had a window sticker per se, but sadly not.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
Ensign

The Hull number should be on the back right corner of the boat on the outside of the hull at about the middle to top of the transom. I believe the year is the last 2 numbers.
IRJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #13
Admiral

IRJay has provided the correct location for the HIN. The last two digits are the year.

I do not know where to find the options list other than maybe google to see if you can find an old boat test report.

Mike