Old 04-17-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Possible new toy: 2001 2100 SR2

Hello ladies and gentlemen,
I am new to the site as I believe I am about to become a Maxum owner. But, I wanted to get some feedback before I pull the trigger on this boat.

I am looking at a 2001 2100 SR2, 5.0 EFI with 285 hours. Looks well kept and has the bench seat/sun pad layout, not the jump seats fond in other similar models.

Can you all help me with undrstanding the construction of this boat? Fiberglass deck with 'waterproof' stringers, right?

NADA values aside, what is a fair price? Asking for your off the cuff opinion.

I am having a survey done this weekend and have a verbal deal pending the survey results.

Thoughts?

I am really looking forward to owning this boat and hope to get some good feedback from you all and post as a happy owner soon!

RoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
Admiral

welcome to the zoo there romo....the 2100 is a nice boat and with 285 hrs is relatively low for that boat..let the survey do the work for you...the boat is assembled in 2 pieces...the top half is flipped over out of the mold and installed onto the hull...the lower hull has wood stringers and are encapsulated in fiberglass at the time the hull is removed out of the mold...from there the engine,drive, wiring harness etc is added...then the 2 halves are married together and the top half is finished off......then the boat is put in the water for testing....hopefully the owner helped prevent water intrusion by making sure the drain plug is pulled after each use and if in salt...cleaned and protected after each use.....plus proper maintenance during the proper times between summer and winter use.....
as for price...you know...it's a buyers market right now...right now it's hard to put a value other than what the market is bearing right now....although the owner may ask top dollar...the market won't bear it...thus you can almost offer half and he'd probably take it unless he's owned by the bank....wish I could give you something definitive but unfortunately that's life in the boating industry.....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Ensign

Default Thank you!

Thank you for the construction run-down, I knew Maxum used molds but always wondered how that worked. I see how a two piece design could have water issues if not properly maintained but poor up-keep can ruin any boat in my opinion.

I am feeling pretty good about the price we agreed on based on a number of deals I have walked away from this year. I thought it was a buyers market too but in my area tax refunds must have been HUGE! Any boat in the 6-7k range is selling for at least 8-9k and reasonable priced boats are snatched up in only a few hours on craigslist. That is why I am driving 6.5 hours to get this boat! (ME: "If you think your subwoofer and amp are worth $1800 than take them out and I will bring you cash tomorrow" Him: "the boat is worth more with them installed so I am firm on the price" Me: Thank you for your time"...Boat sold a few days later!)

Once it is in the driveway I will have a few questions, I'm sure.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Ensign

Follow up question:
I am still looking around the web world at what 2001 2100 Maxum boats are selling/listed for as I am hell-bent on making sure this is a high-value deal for me. A question has come to mind that I cannot get a good answer to...What is the difference between the SC and the SC2? Engine, Layout etc??

Thank you all,
R
Old 04-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #5
Admiral

just a few options.....nothing really big to worry bout..doesn't mean much when your buying from a private party...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 04-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Commander

Hi RoMo, I have a 1996 2100SR and the difference between it and the SR2 is just seating layout. Mine has the front and back seating with 2 seats on each side of motor cover. I believe the SR2 has captains chairs and a sundeck. As far as SC/SC2, I am not sure there. I know SC is a cuddy where SR is bowrider, just not sure how the SC2 is difference.

Hope this helps a bit for you.
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I thought the difference between SC and SC2 was age. Meaning, the SC (Sport Cuddy) was the 1st design and was produced for X number of years, Then they redesigned it and it became the SC2. Final redesign was the SC3.

There were two seating configurations offered on my boat but regardless of which config you got the boat was still called the SC3.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Ensign

Thank you all for the help. I was just making sure it was not some sort of 'special edition' or anything that may have an impact on value.

I am scheduled to pick this boat up in about 10 days and am really looking forward to getting back on the water soon! I have been keping an eye on postings that cover adding LED lighting (esp under the swimdeck) and upgrading the stereo system but I will post questions and progress as I work on this.

Has anyone ever added LEDs that connect to a keyless entry system with a remote to turn on/off? I saw this on a bigger ($$$) boat that was added aftermarket and I would think it is not too diffucult or expensive as the remote systems are availible at Harbor frieght/Walmart etc for cheap. This would be a pretty cool 'dock toy' if you ask me. Thoughts?

And, I never posted, I live/boat in the man-made mountain lakes of Northeast Tennessee and South-Central Kentucky. No one should live here withtout water access, there are 4 lakes under 1 hour and 10 under 3 hours from here!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Pre-congrats RoMo, I'm sure you'll have a blast tinkering with the boat and spending time out on it.

I haven't seen, nor heard of, the remotely activated system but it sounds kinda neat. I would be a little leary of anything from HF or Walmart standing up to the test of time, especially on a boat, but if it's cheap enough it might be worth the experiment. I wonder though if the novelty would wear off, and I'd worry about the remote getting lost or taking a dive. I've thought about adding underwater LED's under the swim platform and, if I do, I'll either wire them to a spare AUX toggle at the help or find a sealed, flush mount switch to install somewhere at the stern.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Ensign

RoMo, I live a few miles from Barren River Lake. Dale Hollow and Cumberland are both less than an hour from me. If you end up at any of those any time soon, let me know. Good luck with your purchase.
b18apwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18apwr View Post
RoMo, I live a few miles from Barren River Lake. Dale Hollow and Cumberland are both less than an hour from me. If you end up at any of those any time soon, let me know. Good luck with your purchase.

Glascow in the house!! I spent my time at Lindsey Wilson College so I know where you are, no doubt. I will drop you a note the next time we pull toward that direction.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
Ensign

Brought it home...adventure included!
Left home on Friday, drove 6+ hrs to outside Newport News VA, got to a hotel at about 1am. Up yesterday to the marina that was holding the boat/did the inspection, looked the boat over, exchanged the cash, hooked it up and headed home....so far so good, right?

In about Radford VA, approx 140 miles from home an exhaust leak in my truck burnt through the wiring harness that runs near that location. Dead in the water. WHAT A DAY!

With that behind us we are looking forward to enjoying this boat. AND, we are in the green with AAA rates for another 4-5 years!!![ATTACH][/ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1931
Old 05-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
Admiral

well....nobody hurt is good..but dang..why did the exhaust in your truck leak??..that's what I'd be asking...did you seatrail the boat??...run ok??..no overheat issues???

Congrats on the new member of the family....
be safe....
SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 05-14-2012, 03:57 AM   #14
Ensign

No sea trail, I got the OK from the survey that was done. Possible bushing in the drive that will need to be dealt with in a year or two, just negotiated a bit on that.

The exhaust leak in the truck was from a rusted coupling between the muffler and the tail pipe. It is, as I now know, a fairly common problem in the Titan trucks but no recall. Possible easy repair of the wiring with the hope of no further eletronic involvement.