Old 01-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Mounting Fire Extinguisher / Other items:UPDATED

Hey fellow Sport boaters,

UPDATED WITH PHOTO. Now that my boat is approaching 6 months of age (since I bought it new), I am beginning to get the courage to drill a few holes to install a couple of things. First off, I am thinking of mounting the fire extinguisher on the "foot" panel under the instrument panel. First question...is this a good spot? Anyone have other suggestions for location? Next question...I have heard that it is best to mount it sideways as opposed to straight up and down (adds to the life of the contents). Is this true and / or a good idea? Don't want to drill any more holes than I have to and the first one is gonna be hard enough as it is! Finally, while I am 100% satisfied with the performance ( hole shot / pulling tubers, skiers / top speed) I have been told that installing Smart Tabs is a good idea. Anyone care to share their thoughts / experiences. I have heard they help with low speed "wander" and handling. Thanks in advance guys.
Attached Thumbnails
photoFE1.jpg  

New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #2

Fire Extinguisher Location:
-> Easily viewable
-> easily accessible.
-> NOT located near a fire hazzard. (i.e.- NOT along the back of the galley, where you would risk having to reach through a galley fire to reach the extinguisher. Not IN the engine compartment which would require that you
open the engine hatch and reach into the flaming engine compartment to reach the extinguisher). Basically, locate the most like location for a boat fire and place an extinguisher where it can be easily reached without putting
you in harm's way.

Fire Extinguisher Orientation:
-> The contents of a fireexteinguisher can settle and cake at the bottom of a fire extinguisher. The theory behind mouting is sideways is that the contents won't settle and cake to the bottom of the canister. Instead they'll settle and cake along the side of the canister. How many fire extinguishers do you see mounted sideways on firetrucks and in public spaces of buildings (stores, offices, etc)? In my opinion, you should be shaking up your fire extinguishers on a regular basis, making sure that the contents never settle, or if the do settle it is not for so long that they cake up and render the extinguisher unusable. Once a month I shake the crap out of my extinguishers, then turn them upside down and whack them a handful of times on the bottom. I even shake them like a ketchup bottle to move the stuff around. That should be sufficient. I also remove them from teh boat during winter storage.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Captain

ey brian

at my former boat i installed the fire ext. under both two captainchairs (yes i installed 2 of them) everybody on the boat (me my wife and i knew where they were installed) no holes in the hull so no problemo.......

greatz ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Mounting location is a good question. Ed, since you and I have the same boat, I'll be curious where you decide to mount yours. Extinguishers can be heavy - I wonder if through bolts with blocking behind should be used.

I was thinking on the port side just in front of the passenger seat on the wall that separates the cockpit from the cabin.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
Hey fellow Sport boaters,

I have been told that installing Smart Tabs is a good idea. Anyone care to share their thoughts / experiences. I have heard they help with low speed "wander" and handling. Thanks in advance guys.
I'm going through this drill now Brian with my 2400 SC3. From what I read the self adjusting Smart Tabs are just so-so and cannot help with compensating for a list to port or starboard. Also, since they are always "down" to some degree they can cause issues with backing.

I'll be installing adjustable tabs on mine, just don't yet know which ones.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Thanks for the insight guys. Appreciate it.
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
Mounting location is a good question. Ed, since you and I have the same boat, I'll be curious where you decide to mount yours. Extinguishers can be heavy - I wonder if through bolts with blocking behind should be used.

I was thinking on the port side just in front of the passenger seat on the wall that separates the cockpit from the cabin.

Dan
i didnt thought about it yet where to mount them, did'nt looked under the seats yet, i'll start thinking about it when he is swimming again and let you know wich options i've made....

ed
Old 01-07-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
Commander

"...I am thinking of mounting the fire extinguisher on the "foot" panel under the instrument panel."

That is where I put mine.

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
Lieutenant

I have an 1800 sr3 with an Automatic Powder extinguisher mounted inside the engine bay and then the manual foam one in the cockpit here.....
leeADAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed & inge View Post
i didnt thought about it yet where to mount them, did'nt looked under the seats yet, i'll start thinking about it when he is swimming again and let you know wich options i've made....

ed

hai dan......

i have installed them under the seats, for me that was the best. no drilling holes in the fiber.

greatz, ed
Old 09-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #11

whree TGLEE put his extinguisher wouldn't be bad, but I wouldn't want to put the extinguisher on the actual footpanel itself. As long as you have a comfortable space for your feet. How many times can you bump it with your feet before you're ready to toss the thing overboard?

As for Smarttabs, I believe you will get a faster hole shot and plane more easily. I also think they will trim the boat to a proper running angle nicely. I don't see how they would have any impact on slow speed wander.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote