Old 01-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #21
njh
Lieutenant

Happy new year everyone.

Just in the process of cleaning up my leg! put the pictures up on the old link...Bellows and bearing shall be replaced. How do i find out the ratio?

Old 01-02-2019, 11:35 AM   #22
Admiral

Try this link.

MerCruiser Inboard/Outdrive Model Identification Guide - MerCruiser Serial Number

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:37 AM   #23
Lt. Commander

Smile Welcome Aboard!

njh - You are doing what most here in America would spend the funds and have it done. Looked at your posted photos and not knowing the year it looked a lot like mine. I have a 1992 Maxum 1800SR with the 3.0L Mercruiser with the Alpha One - Gen II drive unit. I had my chance in Feb 1992 when I ordered her to go with the 4.3L engine. The extra $2,000 plus for it was above my budget. I would put a 4.3 Mercruiser with the A1G2 drive any day in that boat. Has plenty of power and won't drain the fuel tank so quick. Keep up the great work on her and if you have time check out my album here. It is public and you will see looks a lot like yours. Cheers!
deanries (Go Big or Go Home)
deanries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:35 PM   #24
njh
Lieutenant

Hi there... we have had several smaller classics and a jetski which was awesome over the years and just wanted something bigger to be a bit safer heading out over the bar and out in the bay here. Really pleased with it for the very small amount we paid. Lots of work and floor replacement required but we shouldn't need anything else as we feel this is as big as we can go and easily recover and launch ourselves. Friends are working on the poorly cushions, I've done the paint work and now I'm doing the floor and sourcing an engine. Only thing we shall add is a Bimini top I think. just picked up leg, bracket, rams, pump and exhaust all which I have gently stripped and cleaned and sanded ready for rebuild. However my wife's Freelander 2 has just eaten the swirl valves so that's taken over while I've stripped the head off for refurb.
njh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:52 AM   #25
Lt. Commander

Smile Quite a Project!

njh -
Seeing the photos you posted sure would like to know the Model & Year of the boat you are rebuilding. Looks a lot like my 1992 Maxum 1800SR that I own. Is it an 1800SR also, thought that is what I saw on one of the photos? Keep up your fantastic work and yes, there always seem to be distractions. Part of life!
Cheers,
deanries (Go Big or Go Home).
Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 AM   #26
njh
Lieutenant

Hi....it is indeed a 92. according to the serial number. I have added some more pictures of all the electrics now working here https://photos.app.goo.gl/H2VLhDb9Y4QyRyFF6

Excitingly we have managed to find a 2005 5.0 V8 Mercruiser that needs a rebuild so thats on a pallet on it's way to us from Devon..a spring of dreaming and engine rebuilds awaits.
Any suggestions or comments always welcome.

Nick.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:18 AM   #27
Lt. Commander

Smile Quite a Project!

Nick -
Well after looking at the photos it seems to be an 1800SR like mine. I know you are looking at the 5.0 so you will have to beef up the transom. I know mine has a warning label inside of the transom that lists the max hp that it is rated for. Have not looked but I think it is 165hp. I will check to make sure. If you have the chance check the photos in my album and you can see what I have done to my dream. You are doing some fantastic work and will be proud to get her on the water. Stay in touch and keep us up to date!
Cheers
Old 02-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #28
njh
Lieutenant

Hi there...yep, seen that label. It was my intention to strengthen the transom although the purpose of the V8 is more to tickle our ear drums with the gentle burble that is our favourite sound rather than use it in anger and my guess was that the warning was there to alleveate stress on the transom. I shall have another look at your album. It is most definately an 1800SR just so you are sure. Could you tell me what size Bimini top you ordered and if there are any wiring diagrams on here. More pictures when we get them.
Just as an extra...sorting electrics as none of it worked and under the dash was a live old flare....always nicce to find!

My wife and I are not sure how to pronounce your name...

Nick.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:54 PM   #29
Lt. Commander

Smile Quite a Project!

Nick -
Well my last name Ries is pronounced Reese as in the peanut butter cup fame. My ancestry is from Southern Germany and is like the wine Riessling, same pronunciation. The placard on the transom is for 175hp max. I'm sure the 5.0 will be more than that limit. Hope you can beef up the transom to support it. Great project, keep up your fine work.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #30
Lt. Commander

Smile Quite a Project!

Nick -
The bimini top is a Sunbrella A2678UBD made by Carver Industries and was purchased from iboats.com. It is a universal bimini top for wakeboard towers. They do offer those for standard, no tower installations. On their site they have a link for measuring your boat and what you will need to fit. Surely like the addition on mine. Sorry, I do not have the electrical schematics as installed but it is pretty straight forward. 12 volt electrical ground system with the bus bar under the dash. Looking at your photos you are doing one hell of a job so far.
Keep up the fantastic work.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:23 AM   #31
Lt. Commander

Smile Quite a Project!

Nick -
Looking through the manuals & other documents I found that there are electrical schematics shown in the Mercruiser 3.0L / 3.0LX installation manual. Since the boat you are rehabbing came with the 4.3L engine I am sure they are in that manual as well. Something that may be of help. Keep up the great work!
Old 03-14-2019, 01:00 PM   #32
njh
Lieutenant

Hi all.

So engine has arrived, it's stripped and free turning, heads away for pressure test and rebuild so I have the job now of removing each piston and ring set. Cranks good, no con rod damage just water ingress as no flapper valves were fitted to exhaust. Manifolds and Risers seem ok and just need a clean up...may change them anyway but we shall see.

Some more pictures in the album ( https://photos.app.goo.gl/H2VLhDb9Y4QyRyFF ) don't know if it tells you automatically. New Ignition/key and bow lights turned up today. Dean are the manuals on here? I have a few issue's so I'll post the pictures and maybe you guys can point me at the correct item please. Very difficult to find things when you don't what they are called and good layout diagrams are hard to find.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:01 AM   #33
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by njh View Post
Hi all.

So engine has arrived, it's stripped and free turning, heads away for pressure test and rebuild so I have the job now of removing each piston and ring set. Cranks good, no con rod damage just water ingress as no flapper valves were fitted to exhaust. Manifolds and Risers seem ok and just need a clean up...may change them anyway but we shall see.

Some more pictures in the album ( https://photos.app.goo.gl/H2VLhDb9Y4QyRyFF ) fdon't know if it tells you automatically. New Ignition/key and bow lights turned up today. Dean are the manuals on here? I have a few issue's so I'll post the pictures and maybe you guys can point me at the correct item please. Very difficult to find things when you don't what they are called and good layout diagrams are hard to find.
The link doesn’t work for me.

Mike
Old 03-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #34
njh
Lieutenant

Sorry Mike...let's try again.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/H2VLhDb9Y4QyRyFF6
Old 03-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #35
njh
Lieutenant

As an extra note I found the manuals on the forum here Dean but still need some parts identifying so will snap those later.
All the pistons are free, rings off and followers are clean. Heads are being refurbished and Head Technique say all should be fine...
Old 03-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #36
njh
Lieutenant

So in this shot, right down at the front near the crank is a plastic bottle with connections to the water system. It's cracked and I can't find a name for it to order one...I'll try and get another picture of it later.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #37
njh
Lieutenant

So was there a thermostat sensor where the broken green bit is?

All help gratefully received...
Old 03-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #38
njh
Lieutenant

I found an image...Drain tap....
Old 03-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #39
Admiral

Yes, drain trap.

The engine is equipped with Mercruiser’s single point drain system, basically only one plug to remove to drain the entire coolant system.

Mike
Old 03-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #40
njh
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Yes, drain trap.

The engine is equipped with Mercruiser’s single point drain system, basically only one plug to remove to drain the entire coolant system.
Hi...actually it has quite a few.