Old 08-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
Ensign

Smile love the Maxum, unsure of fair price

Need some assistance. I am looking at buying a 2007 2400SR3 w/ trailer. They are asking 27500. So difficult to tell if this is a fair price. Boat is in great shape and has 130 hours on it. Engine is the Merc 5.0L MPI Bravo III.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and would benifet me and my pregnant wife on on first boat. Looking forward to joining the boating world.

JP

JPCTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
Commander

As many of our other members will say, Get a Survey and Sea Trial first. Talk price after. Many a great looking low hour boat is found to be full of gremlins or a floating garbage scow upon closer inspection by an expert.

-JP

CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Ensign

Great advice, I will update after survey and sea trial. It is an intimidating purchase, but one I have wanted to make for so long now.
JP
Old 08-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Captain

my advise is to wait until after the baby.

The newborn and then toddler will kill your free time for the first 18 months.

If their asking $27,500.00, offer $17k.......

you can find six boats like that model on ebay or Iboat....
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

27,5 is a little steep even it is in perfect condition but, IMO, offering 17 will be insulting.

Food for thought and reference: about 4 years ago we purchased a 2004 model year 2400 SC3 - which is the same boat as the SR3 you are looking at except the SC3 has a cuddy cabin instead of bow seats. Our's has the 5.7 (350 Mag) and B3 package and had just over 70 hours on it when we bought it. Boat was (is) in great shape, especially compared to the other boats we looked at in the same price/size range.

After seeing what was being offered in the size and price range - some very sad, un-cared for and un-maintained boats, I was happy to pay the 20K they were asking for the boat and a 2007 model year dual axle trailer. IMO, I would pay a premium for a well maintained boat. Instead of buying a lesser boat, one which you have to make repairs on or replace things before you can enjoy it, you pay a little more for a boat you can enjoy immediately.

As mentioned have it surveyed. If the boat is one that is kept on a trailer then it's not likely there will be any issues, like water damage, with the hull, nor will there be any issues with bottom paint or outdrive corrosion. So the survey will, and should, focus more on the mechanical condition of the engine and drive, and the rest of the systems on the boat. If the boat has been kept in the water it's a different matter - the hull needs close inspection too.

NADA says the average retail price of that boat is around 25K - which will vary depending on options. If that 2400 SR3 is clean as a whistle, mechanically sound, needs almost nothing, and is the right boat for your family, I'd make an offer at 21k and negotiate from there.

JMO -

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
Ensign

Sound advice and I appreciate the time you took to reply. As of right now I have pulled the plug on the Maxum and I am moving forward with a 2010 Chaparral 215 SSI. It was surveyed today and I go for a test ride late tomorrow.
2010 Chap 215 SSI 5.0L w/36 hours, 2012 tandem trailer. I will fill you all in on the numbers if sale goes through if you are interested.
Does this mean I can't hang out anymore???

JP
Old 08-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Happy to help JP, and good luck with the 215 - though I think you'll miss the extra length of the 2400. Then again, I suppose you can't miss what you didn't have.

Feel free to pop in here. While we probably won't be able to lend a hand with detail about the Chap we can probably answer nearly any engine/drive related questions, and certainly generic boat questions.

Regards,

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Chaparral makes a very good boat. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Most everyone starts with an open bow then moves on to pontoons, deck boats, cuddies and/or cruisers depending on where they are in life.

One of the funnest years we had was our freshman year on the water. We met up with some other boaters in the area and were shown the ropes. Didn't matter what kind of boat anyone had, it was about being out there and having fun.

Have fun and be safe.
AlwaysSober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Admiral

Be sure to join the Chap group http://forum.chaparralboats.com/

Good group of people and helpful dealers represented (something I wish would happen here) on the site. Even though I bought a Maxum this time around, they still let me play in their sandbox

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote