Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Boats
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Question Looking for advice on a new boat cover - 95 2100 SBR

Looking for advice on a new boat cover, it’s for a 95 2100 SBR. I’ve gone through 2 of the 100’ish dollar ones from Canfield’s. They are okay but nothing to brag about and don’t last long in Nebraska winters. I’m looking for really good quality at a great price. On prior boats I’ve had custom covers that have had a tie strap that goes around the bottom, I like that feature.
Scouring eBay I’ve found a few with mixed reviews. Anyone have any pointers or success stories, links they want to share about quality/fitment/etc?
These are some I’m looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271310606878...84.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310222495241...84.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171191028407...84.m1423.l2649

Old 12-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #2

What are you looking for? A towing cover? marina/mooring cover? Winter Storage? General Storage? Nebraska tends to get snow, is it snowload you're looking to address?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Great questions

I would like something towable however I always take it off before we go anywhere, would be nice to have the option in case it’s raining when we leave for someplace I guess and they tend to be heavier units it seems. (the towable ones)
Snow is also an issue and it does sit outside. I have 2 braces from the inside (for lift) to dome it up and most of the time it (the snow and rain) falls right off. I also always broom it off after it’s done snowing so the cover doesn’t have to take the excess weight. Mainly just outside storage.

I removed a frozen pool of what was water from the bow area and tore the inferior Cabelas one I have now. They are more of a yearly kind of disposable cover IMHO. Looking for something a little stronger I don’t have to replace every year. And need a new one asap.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Wow… went back to Cabela’s yesterday and they were surprisingly easy to work with. The store manager happened to be working on the boating section (I didn’t ask for him) he told me to bring the torn cover back in and they would replace it.

I told him I had no idea where the receipt was and the box was also long gone… He said, no problem!

Their 600 denier “Ratchet tight” cover for a 21 foot boat was 299.99. I asked if it happened to be on sale and he replied, I’ll check…... When he came back with a note in hand he said they are not on sale right now, but with this paper I can give you a manager special for 230.00. So I bought that one also!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel....mc_id=crrdtfd

Could be a little wider but covers the boat well and snug. I installed it last night.
(on a side note, it snowed 2 inches THIS MORNING)
Old 01-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Admiral

Ok What you need is a seperate cover for when your boat is in storage. You are killing these $200.00 covers. They are do not stand up to snow and ice.

I would either find indoor storage for the winter or maybe a shrink wrap cover. If you can borrow a heat gun it would cost you very little for your size of boat. Or built a frame and buy a good winter tarp and fit it yourself.

As small of a boat that you have I would look for indoor storage if it were me.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

Thanks Roger, I have looked at indoor storage and nothing is big enough. If I do the fold away trailer tongue (witch I will do it the future) It “might” fit in some of them but it’s still 150.00 or more a month for a climate controlled unit. @ 6 months that’s an additional 900.00 bucks a year for a boat I’m not using. I see you are in Chicago so you know what I’m talking about. There are some farmers with “sheds/Quonset’s” whatever for less just to keep the crap off but I’m really not interested in having my boat buried with 100 others waiting to get her out…..It’s a 1995 boat and almost perfect, I’ve owned it for 5 years and can deal with a little “brushing off of the snow” to keep her safe. The 600 denier cover with 16 side straps and 2 support poles should be much better than the 300 denier cover with 8 straps and 1 pole that has worked for the last 5 years.

I’m also restoring a 1970 Chevelle SS and 900.00 is something I don’t have going through a divorce with 3 kids. Just trying to get by and not loose what I do have.

After this divorce crap is final I can get another house where she will be inside.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:15 AM   #7
Admiral

Been there done that Darren. Those kids are the most important thing in your life now.

Again I would look into shrink wrapping that boat of yours if indoor storage is beyond reach for the next few years.

Good luck to you.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote