Old 07-10-2016, 03:52 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Looking at an 01 2100sr

Went to go look at a 2100 Sr today, apparently never run in salt water. Boat looks great and very clean as well as engine. Owner owns a plane so I'm assuming he knows how to take care of his things. Question for you guys. What should I inspect on the boat and ask what has been replaced? New to boating, had Waverunner 1300r for 5 years and love it, but family now and that just doesn't suffice. So when we got the boat in the water, it started, had low batt life and owner said he just put it in literally today (it did look brand new) and showed receipt. Anyway, we got about 100 feet and the boat just shut off and wouldn't start. A mechanic came and said it looks like bad gas. He smelled it and said its definitely bad. The owner said its been filled with gas about 2 months ago but sat in the sun. Now I've never heard of gas going bad that fast in just 2 months....any other suggestions?

Egan015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:10 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

If the engine has a spin on fuel filter the owner can remove it and pour the contents into a glass jar. If the gas has water or phase separated he will see 2 or more lawyers in the jar.

Bad gas should be drained from the tank and disposed of.

When the owner filled it how much gas was in it? It's probably the old gas before the fill up that went bad and adding newer gas cannot fix have bad gas nor will any additives.

Fuel issues don't just shut off though it will spit and sputter. Electrical issues however can cause it to just quit.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
Ensign

Yea it was strange. We got out, Idled about 100 feet, and machine just shut off. Then when we got back to dock, wouldn't start again. Battery was reporting dead. So we got a battery pack and tried to jump it, still wouldn't start. After them trying to start it and diagnose it obviously flooded. I was told the boat was drained that night and they will check further today.
Egan015 is offline   Reply With Quote