Old 02-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Looking at '96 2000 SRL, Advise Please

I am going to be looking at a 20' 1996 Maxum 2000 SRL w/ 5.7l V-8 later this week. I am a first time boat buyer and would like some advise on what to look for when I look at it.

We are looking for an all around family boat. We have 4 boys, the oldest is 8. I love to ski. My boys like to fish and ride the tube. I plan on teaching them to ski as they get older. We currently live in Western Washington, but move frequently for work. We will likely mostly use the boat in fresh water; Lakes and large rivers, but it may see some occasional saltwater use in the Puget Sound, or similar bodies of water.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thank in advance!

Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Commander

I have the '96 2100 SR2 with the 5.7 2bbl and I love it. Mine is just a bit heavier and I have plenty of power so you should be good with it in yours. I do wish sometimes I had the 4bbl until I pull up to the pump and then I am glad it is just the 2bbl again
I would have it surveyed if you can. It is an older boat so make sure you check for a soft floor, hull damage, etc... as well as have the motor checked out good. If all is in good order, I think you will like this model.
I have an Alum. 21 prop and with 2 adults and 1 small child, I can get to about 55 mph and can easily pull up skiers. For you since you will have more people on board, may want to prop it with a 19 to get it out a bit quicker.

mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Admiral

welcome to the zoo there perk....I'm out here in west. washington also...work at boeing commercial and have been boating here in the sound for 12 yrs.....the main thing to do is to get a survey done...it's well worth the money to have a pro look at everything...they will check for dry rot....transom rot.....engine condition...etc.....then...make an offer with that survey in hand....finally ask for a seatrail with a contract contingent on a successful seatrail.....DO NOT BUY THE BOAT WITHOUT THESE STEPS BEING TAKEN........

then take a boating safety course where completing that will get you a discount on your insurance.....finally...the last bit of advice is
NEVER approach the dock faster than your willing to crash into it........

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Ensign

I have the inspection and "test drive" scheduled for today. If it all checks out and I can get it for the right price I will have a boat.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
Ensign

I ended up buying a different boat. A 1997 2100 sr w/ 5.7l. I haven't had it out yet, but hope to get it dewinterized and out next weekend!!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Congrats on the new boat Perk. Make sure you get some photos of it posted!

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #7

Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forum. Feel free to post questions as you go through her.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote