Old 04-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Question Anyone installed engine cover, ski locker, glove box locks?

Has anyone installed some type of locking mechanisms on their engine cover? Or has anyone installed any other type of locking mechanism around their boat? Glove Box, Ski locker?

I am planning on leaving my boat in a slip all season and and I would like some additional peace of mind on preventing local kids from rummaging through my boat.

I have a 2001 1800SR for reference.

jreidg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

J,

1st, it's too bad you even need to worry about it but I suppose most of us do to some degree.

No, I've not installed any locks. The cabin door has a "lock" - such as it is, but's it really only "suggests" security instead of actually being secure.

I don't leave anything of significant value on board when I leave the boat. Cheap PFD's, some lines, boat hook and cleaning brush, engine flush muffs, the anchor. The stereo face and GPS are removeable so I never leave them. Aside from those the only things of significant value are the batteries.

One school of thought is that if you make it more difficult (locks) the low lifes will move to an easier target. My take: The boats are plastic. Meaning, if someone wants "in" bad enough they'll just pry it open with whatever implement they have on hand. I'd rather them take what they want instead of damaging the boat.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote