Old 03-16-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Adding a Second Battery.

I am adding a second battery to my 1996 2100SR. I have seen batteries placed on both sides of the boat but is it a problem to put both on the same side? Like both on the port side? I thought it might cut down on the wiring and leave the other side open to use as a space for emergency fuel tank. Please let me know if any of this sounds stupid. Also are there any safety issues that I don't know about?
I am going to use an isolator and a 1,2 or both switch to add and manage the second battery. If you have any pointers on other configurations or just want to let me know what you have done let me know. Thanks!

edseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I hope you have more space than I do Ed, as I'm about to do the very same thing.

No issues with having batteries on the same side and it will certainly cut down on the necessary wiring. Only thing you want to check is the balance of the boat. If it already has a list to the side where the current batt is then adding a 2nd on that side will make it worse, natch. If it sits nice and level now then adding a 50 LB battery (typical of a group 24) probably isn't going to cause much of a prob.

For the new batt cables you'll want to use 2 AWG - which is likely the size currently installed. Keep the cables as short as possible, and well supported. Ensure you devise a way to keep the batts secured so they don't bounce around. If possible place your batt switch somewhere that you don't have to open a hatch to get to it, and ensure you have boots/covers on all connections so nothing can short across exposed terminals.

Have fun.

Dan

You might want to consider an AGM type battery. Safer than flooded cell type in that there's no acid to slosh around and almost zero off-gassing from the battery. AGM's can be paired with flooded cell batteries because both types easily handle the alt's charging output (the gel cell batts don't handle high charging voltages well).

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Hadn't considered AGM. I'll definitely look into it. I already found some pretty decent enclosures for the batteries. When I take the boat out this next weekend I'll take a level with me to see if the boat lists more to one side or the other. Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Default 2nd battery

I put a second battery and switch in my 1900 SR3 last year.
I've attached a photo.
Not a perfect install by any means but it works!
I use a starting battery to crank the engine, switch to both batteries while running, then switch to the deep cycle battery to listen to the tunes at anchor.
Attached Thumbnails
batteries.jpg  
Captain's Cove Maxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #5
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain's Cove Maxum View Post
I put a second battery and switch in my 1900 SR3 last year.
I've attached a photo.
Not a perfect install by any means but it works!
I use a starting battery to crank the engine, switch to both batteries while running, then switch to the deep cycle battery to listen to the tunes at anchor.
Did you use stainless wood screws to attatch the switch to the engine compartment bulkhead? Also I see you have different sizes. What sizes did you use and how much time do you get out of the deep cycle while listening to tunes?
Old 03-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Yes. Stainless screws.
I think the batteries look different because of the angle the photo was taken at. They are actually the same size.
I've never had a problem with draining the battery completely. But I've never sat still for more than a couple of hours. I have a 300watt 4 channel amp.
My setup works great and it gives me some peace of mind when I'm out with family and friends. Nothing like a dead battery to ruin your day!
Captain's Cove Maxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain's Cove Maxum View Post
I put a second battery and switch in my 1900 SR3 last year. I've attached a photo.
Man, I'd kill to have that much accessible space for batteries in my boat. When I start my batt install project I'm going to look for a spot to mount the batt switch so it is accessible without having to lift/open the engine hatch.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote