Old 03-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2300sc - anchor roller

Hi All
I've had my 1998 Maxum 2300sc for over a year now and love it.
This is my first post here and hoping for some assistance in installing an anchor roller.

I use the boat at sea a lot and use the anchor a lot.

Its quite a heavy anchor, with some heavy duty chain and lots of rope.

Anchor works well.

I find when bringing it up by hand, the chain rubs along the side of the bow, ruining the fibreglass, so I'd like to solve this by hopefully installing a simple anchor roller.

I keep the anchor in the bow anchor locker, and would like to keep it that way to preserve the sporty appearance and clutter on the bow as we use this area for seating often.

Anyhow, I've attached a pic of my boat and a PDF with a bunch of bow rollers I've found on ebay.
I was hoping someone who may have done a similar installation on a similar boat may be able to offer some advice as to which one to purchase, as my boat is 2 hours drive away - i'd like to purchase the roller and install it at the same time I am recommissioning the boat for the new season in 2 weeks time.

Not sure how best to mount it, which one to buy etc.
Due to the nav light right in the centreline, and the curves of the fibreglass on the bow and the space, I am unsure if any of these will work? Would I mount it directly in the centre of the bow, or perhaps off-centre to the port/starboard side?

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxum2300sc.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	3204AnchorRollers.pdf
Any helps/Advice/tips much appreciated.

thanks

Franknstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I've got a slightly newer version of your boat, Frank, a 2004 2400 SC3. Mine has a center mounted roller, nav lamps to either side.

With the center nav lamp on yours the roller will be a challenge. Is there a cleat in the anchor locker, or do you cleat the anchor using the port/starboard cleats?

Have you considered how you will afix the roller through the deck? They are subjected to quite a bit of tension so need to be thru-bolted.

Dan

And oh, I have no idea if an anchor roller was even an option on your boat but you might surf the web a bit to see if you can find any photos of your model that have one installed.

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
I've got a slightly newer version of your boat, Frank, a 2004 2400 SC3. Mine has a center mounted roller, nav lamps to either side.

With the center nav lamp on yours the roller will be a challenge. Is there a cleat in the anchor locker, or do you cleat the anchor using the port/starboard cleats?

Have you considered how you will afix the roller through the deck? They are subjected to quite a bit of tension so need to be thru-bolted.

Dan

And oh, I have no idea if an anchor roller was even an option on your boat but you might surf the web a bit to see if you can find any photos of your model that have one installed.
Hi Dan

Many thanks for the reply.
I can't recall whats inside the anchor locker, but I don't think there is a cleat inside it at all.
I normally cleat the anchor rope across both port and starboard cleats when it's at the correct depth.
All of this I don't mind doing, the only thing I wan't to do is make it slightly easier to bring the anchor up (especially is strong currents) and eliminate the scraping along the bow of the chain, the rope I don't mind rubbing so much, but the chain is doing damage quickly.

I kinda thought the centre nav light may cause an issue.

I have searched google images for '2300sc anchor roller' but found nothing really.

My plan was to use m6/m7/m8 machine screws/bolts/locknuts (depending on what size the holes are in the anchor roller I get), with very large flat washers on the inside to distribute the load and prevent it pulling through the fibreglass... and seal it with sikaflex

My biggest concern is the curved/stepped shape of the bow right at the location I intend to mount the roller, and the nav light in the way.

Perhaps I need to relocate the nav lights...

I'd be very keen to see someone elses install on a similar boat.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
Admiral

What I recommend is to remove the combo bow light and replace with a pair of seperate bow lights. Then fill the old hole and install the roller with thru bolts. The angle of the bow should not be much of a problem. Look at similar size boats, sea ray, etc.

PS: welcome aboard

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
What I recommend is to remove the combo bow light and replace with a pair of seperate bow lights. Then fill the old hole and install the roller with thru bolts. The angle of the bow should not be much of a problem. Look at similar size boats, sea ray, etc.

PS: welcome aboard
Thanks for this
Perhaps a difficult question to answer, but generally, nav lights such as mine, would they have a massive hole under them, or a small hole just for a wire and a few mounting holes? I'd prefer not to be doing in fibreglass work if at all possible...

If its just a few small holes underneath the current nav light I'd like to seal all the holes with sikaflex, then hopefully the anchor roller will cover those holes in any case... but if theres a massive gaping hole beneath the nav light I guess I'd have to bring out the matting and resin

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 03-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Frank, there will be only small holes; one just large enough to fish the wires through - 1/2" I'd guess, and then a couple of small screw holes. I would attempt to fill the larger hole with something - like a tapered plug slathered with 5200 or Sika, but the little holes can just be filled with goop. As long as you can get to the underside the re-wiring would be easy. Use LED fixtures.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
Admiral

+1 what ss3964spd said

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
Ensign

awesome
thanks for the replies.
I've ordered the roller, and will attempt the method suggested!