Old 01-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2008 1800 sr3

We are new to owning a boat. We purchased our 1800SR3 with wake tower. Have a couple questions

Considering trim tabs any thoughts from anyone on here?

Also think I may have a problem with fuel gauge. One of last times we had it out at the end of season we ran out of gas. When it died the gauge read about 1/4 but after nice boater nearby gave us 5 gallon of gas it started right up. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcbogie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:54 PM   #2
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbogie65 View Post
We are new to owning a boat. We purchased our 1800SR3 with wake tower. Have a couple questions

Also think I may have a problem with fuel gauge. One of last times we had it out at the end of season we ran out of gas. When it died the gauge read about 1/4 but after nice boater nearby gave us 5 gallon of gas it started right up. Any thoughts?

Anyone have any opinions on this post?

Old 01-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #3

Welcome aboard "jcbogie65"!!!!

Firstly boat fuel guages are notoriously inaccurate. In some cases it is because of the shape of the tank. If the tank has a V bottom, then when the sender is halfway down the tank, it's actually more like 1/3 full due to the decreased capacity down in the V shaped portion of the tank. The tank sender also takes a beating and is constantly moving. As a result, they sometimes require replacement. Most will last many, many years (mine has been there for 20 yes), however they do periodically go.

You could replace the fuel sender. You could go high end and get a solid-state sender which tend to take a beating and have higher duty cycles, though that wouldn't fix issues with tank shape.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Welcome aboard "jcbogie65"!!!!

Firstly boat fuel guages are notoriously inaccurate. In some cases it is because of the shape of the tank. If the tank has a V bottom, then when the sender is halfway down the tank, it's actually more like 1/3 full due to the decreased capacity down in the V shaped portion of the tank. The tank sender also takes a beating and is constantly moving. As a result, they sometimes require replacement. Most will last many, many years (mine has been there for 20 yes), however they do periodically go.

You could replace the fuel sender. You could go high end and get a solid-state sender which tend to take a beating and have higher duty cycles, though that wouldn't fix issues with tank shape.

Thank you.! I was thinking it was the constant movement and bouncing but wanted an opinion.

Thank you again for the reply

Old 02-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
Captain

You will like trim tabs. I had good results by initially installing them level with the hull. You can always adjust the tabs to correct a list.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:03 PM   #6

I will second for trim tabs. You might be able to get away with Smart Tabs, but I would opt for dynamically adjustable tabs such as Bennett or Lenco. Bennett are hydraulic, Lenco are electric. Bennett has a much wider industry penetration and adoption.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
Ensign

Thanks for the info jrsick & shrew

Old 02-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #8
Ensign

I installed Smart Tabs on my 2100SR. Wow! What a difference they made. I do only inland lake boating and don't attempt to go out in bad weather so I wasn't too concerned about spending $ for hydraulic/electric ones.

You'll find a lot of polarizing opinions about the Smart Tabs but for the occasional recreational boater I don't hesitate in saying it was the best $100 I've spent on the boat yet!

No more porpising, planes off VERY quickly and improves ride quality for passengers. My wife even made a comment about how much 'smoother' the boat was after installing them.

They are easy to install, took me ~45 minutes and I haven't looked back since.
wheaties82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Which model did you get ?
Could you post a photo, I xdo the same type of boating
Thanks
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #10
Lt. JG

I have Lenco trim tabs on my 1900 SR3. Absolutely love them for balancing, anti porpising and hull shots.
tapcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #11
Lt. JG

Thanks
Old 03-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #12
Ensign

Thanks everyone for the input

Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #13
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbogie65 View Post

I am selling a Lenco marine standard tacticle switch kit if you are planning on installing trim tabs.
tapcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #14
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
Which model did you get ?
Could you post a photo, I xdo the same type of boating
Thanks
Tom sorry about delayed response. Boat was in shop getting spring tune-up and I forgot to respond -_-

Here are the tabs I bought, based on boat size and engine

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V3VID40/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you email Nauticus they will help you get the right one.

The white color goes well with my hull and I've had no discoloration issues.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170325_094824-picsay.jpg   IMG_20170325_094830-picsay.jpg   IMG_20170325_094838-picsay.jpg  
wheaties82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #15
Lt. JG

Thanks, happy boating

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk