Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Boats
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2005 1900sr3 bow cleat problem

I'm new to the forum. I own a 2005 1900 sr3 with 260 hp engine. The right bow cleat bolts (2) came loose and fell off. Found them in the anchor bay. Luckily I didn't try to use the cleat....Tried like hell but cannot seam to figure how to put them back on - any ideas?

Lllfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #2

They are through bolted. That is very, very odd. They should have washers and nylon locknuts on the underside of the deck. It would be very unusual for a nylong locknut to back off. Moreso for both of them to do it at the same time. You'll need a couple of stainless steel phillips head machine screws (bolts), SS washers and ss nylon locknuts. Find a means to access the underside of the deck where the cleat was mounted. Clean up the area on both sides. Get some 3m 4000 and bolt the whole shebang back together again.

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Ensign

There aren't nylon lockwashers...it is a SS metal washer, a SS metal lockwasher and a 1-1/4" SS bolt. If I stick my arm up through the anchor area I can only reach half way up. There's no opening behind the cushions. My thought was to cut out a hole in the fiberglass hull behind the cushions so I could get a wrench in there. My concern is possible cracking or weakness of the fiberglass. Anyone know how they did it in the factory?
Lllfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #4

Well, if there are only lockwashers and no locknuts, that would be your problem. Just to be clear, but a nylon locknut, I mean a stainless stell nut that has a nylon 'bushing' inside of the threads so when it is tightened it won't back off. You don't typically need or use lock washers with these nuts, though you would definitely need stainless steel falt washers.

You're going to ned to pick some up. As for access, unless you install an access hatch, you will have a water problem in that area.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
Commander

I agree with Shrew on the lock nuts. They are much better than lock washers or even star washers. Home Depot and Lowes should have these in their drawers of SS bolts and they are pretty cheap. As far as accessing goes, is it a straight shot up to the hole, just further than you can reach? If so, could you use a socket with a long extension on it to reach up there to hold the nut in place while you put the screw in from the topside? There are tricks for this where you stuff the socket with paper or a 2nd nut to keep the real nut at the end of the socket so it is easy to thread on. You can also use super glue or weatherstrip adhesive to glue the washer to the nut so it can all be lifted up together.

This is why the design engineers should be required to work on them for 1 year first so they can design this stuff with a bit of common sense and make it a bit easier to get to some of this stuff. Oh well, wishful thinking.

Good luck!
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote