Old 06-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
Ensign

Question 1999 2100 SR w/ 5.7L Prop Search!! Any help?

I have tried a few different props now on my 1999 2100 SR with a 5.7L 4bbl engine and I just cant find one that I am happy with. I re-powered last year from a 5.0L w/ 1.62r to a 5.7L with 1.47r and now I just cant find the right prop. I am looking for an all around good prop that will give me great hole shot as well as good cruising performance without loosing too much on the top end. I have tried a Laser II 21p, Mirage 21p, & HR Titan 21p 3 blade. My max RPM's have been right where they should be around 4500, but none of those seem to hook up very well with the heavy load (5-8 people and coolers) that I sometimes run. Next I was going to try a Solas HR Titan 4 blade 19p in hopes that it will have a great hole shot without loosing to much on the top end. I use the boat on the Intercoastal waters near Clearwater, FL so I do encounter so pretty rough seas at times. The boat is close to 3800 lbs dry and the Maxum manual calls for a 21p Mirage prop with my motor which I already tried.

Anyways I was hoping that someone out there with the same boat may have already went through all of this already.. If anyone has already found the perfect prop that has a similar set up, I would greatly appreciate any advice!!

Islandhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandhopper View Post
I am looking for an all around good prop that will give me great hole shot as well as good cruising performance without loosing too much on the top end.
That is an impossible set of criteria. Improving holeshot will decrease top end. Optimal 'cruise' performance is a compromise of hole shot and top end. I would start with determining what you're going to do with the boat. Are you going to be pulling water toys (sking, tubing, wakeboarding)? Or are you running out to the nearest sandbar?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
Ensign

Just running out to the sand bar but making a 15 mile run to get there.. Basically I want to improve my holeshot most of all while maintaining good mid range performance through the rough seas (that's why I was going to a 4 blade). I guess my point was that I didn't want to lose total top end performance but the truth is I have other props for that and i'm not really concerned about my top end anyway for how I use the boat. I would stay with a 3 blade if I could find the right one for my boat, I really don't have much intention for pulling skiers or tubes btw.

Also the Mirage and HR Titan 3 blade props I tried both seem to cavitate easily with very little trim which was pretty odd considering that would never happen before I changed motors.

So I guess my question is more about what particular prop or style of prop I should use rather than just a 3 or 4 blade. I was mostly hoping someone out there with the same boat would have a suggestion...
Islandhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
Admiral

Call Hill Marine, they know their stuff and are very helpful with advice.

http://hillmarine.com/?gclid=CM31meCc474CFc1lfgodczcAEw
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote