Old 05-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 1998 2300 SR being purchased

I have had boats all my life and I now am thinking of putting my 18 foot Wellcraft to rest and purchasing a bigger nicer boat. I have been looking at a 1998 maxum 2300 sr. it has a recently rebuilt 5.7 merc with 10 hours on it. Is there anything I should be looking for when inspecting her. Upon first visual inspection she looks good. My one concern is the carpet on the deck. How are they built and are they built right? I know sea ray makes them so they got that going for them. Any pointers would help.

Sto Lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Like any used vehicle it pays to have it properly inspected, SL, either by yourself if you have the knowledge or by a qualified marine surveyor.

A new/rebuilt engine with low hours might certainly be a plus if the job was done right, but can also be an unending headache if it wasn't. Carpet on the deck is nice if it's in good shape, AND if it isn't hiding soft spots in the deck - though my preference would be removable carpet.

BTW, Brunswick is the parent company that makes SeaRay's and (used to) make Maxum's. The are also the parent company of may other brands - Bayliner for instance.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Ensign

Dan, thanks for the reply. However these are things I aready know. I was wondering if there are any isshes that this model had. For instance I have heard the the engine compartment lets rain water in and thia can ruat the intake or worse let h20 into the carb. I quess I me t are there any flaws that thjs model had which I should check. But I do appreciate the info
Sto Lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Ah, gotcha SL, I understand whatcha mean now.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:20 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Here's some pointers when purchasing a new boat:
Check the Transom thoroughly for soft spots/cracks/rot.
Test the compression in each cylinder to make sure the engine is operating right. (i think 90-120psi is normal) Under 90 isn't good
The accessories- sinks/water heater/toilet. (all things that will add up underlying costs)
and as a general rule of thumb, always take it for a ride. sometimes engines will run fine but under power they fail which is a big headache.
that's just my little input.

As far as the 2300 goes, I have a friend at my marina with one and he loves it (don't know the year though, probably close). I have a 94 2700 with single 7.4L merc and its great. they are very similar, same deck blueprint, but the extra 4ft really shows in the cabin.

does the one your looking at have the Bravo 2 or the Bravo 3 outdrive? I have the bravo 2 and its solid (props cost about $500). the bravo 3 has the twin stainless props and are subject to electrolysis (salt water attacks the aluminum outdrive housing due to the stainless steel ions). My buddy just had to replace his lower unit because of that. So check the outdrive around the propellers for any pitted/corroded parts.

Also, whats the price your looking at just out of curiosity to make sure ur getting a good deal?

- Joe