Admiral

Be sure to apply 3M 5200 to the screw holes in the transom to seal them

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:16 PM   #22
Ensign

Cool the Hummingbird 718 is installed

Hi Gents,

My Buddy moved up to the Hummingbird 718, and the first Sunny Saturday was last weekend. (It was just warm enough to work in a Golf Shirt. Today I'm supposed to be cutting the grass...) The 718 at least has a decent enough screen size and is upgradable to GPS (somehow). I was sure to apply 3M 5200 to the screw holes and the hole through the Transom (well above the waterline at least) as the 718 came with a transom mount.

Mounting the Head unit became a compromise of evils so it's on the right slightly blocking the Gas gauge when sitting (but not to hard to look around to the how much fuel remains). We lucked out with the cable hole as it came down between a mass of wiring but very close to the Fuse Panel. Being an Electrician with the right connectors, it was a very simple matter to hook up after I sent Barry for some 3 amp fuses (one spare).

The 718 powered up and seems to work fine (as much as you can tell in a driveway). Barry really likes that you can remove the 718 Head Unit from the Base and take it away so thieves can't steal it.

So I assume the next move is either to install a small stereo system (the one that was in the boat is gone somehow) or just hit the water.

The winter here has been as mild as I can remember so everyone has moved into a spring mode (golf, boats, etc., are coming out of storage early). We'll see if that means the Boat is headed for the water soon.

-Jim- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #23
Admiral

I cannot see the grass where I am at so no cutting any time soon, heck for that matter the bay is full of ice so no boating any time soon.

If you can get the boat in the water and start enjoying then add the radio when it's a rainy day.

Enjoy

Mike
Old 05-31-2015, 04:41 PM   #24
Ensign

Cool

Hi Gents,

Well after the Winter that never was, and the driest, sunniest, warmest April (and now May) on record; Barry got the Buddies (and his son) together and we dropped his Maxum effortlessly into the water about the first week of May.

As expected it was a completely different Boat.

I was on board when we fired it up for real and went west on Burrard Inlet and north up Indian Arm. (Herb dropped it in at Rocky Point Park with his Sierra.) The hole shot, while nowhere near as impressive as a 2 Cycle, was decent now, although the Bow rise was still higher than I'd like to see. (When I was mounting the Hummingbird 718 in April I noticed there was an aftermarket (Whale?) Fin attached to the leg, so someone had been trying to mitigate this earlier.)

The boat works place said they unplugged the Speedo port when they cleaned the Hull / Leg so it should work - but it didn't. (Barry was going to follow-up with them on this. The charged him $2500 for the work last fall, cleaning -bottom paint -winterizing the motor / leg -etc.) Fortunately I had downloaded some free Apps for my iPhone (just in case) and they worked great. We really didn't have the conditions to open it up totally, but I remember 40 MPH going by. (I was driving.) Far faster than Barry should do with it.

I spent a short while with them as I had other duties assigned (Our two Grand Babies that I had to babysit). Unfortunately as well, Barry in his enthusiasm that morning forgot to bring the Hummingbird 718 with him, so we couldn't test it under real conditions.

Barry later said they went out again with the Hummingbird installed, but didn't think he got it working right. He didn't think to bring the manual so I'm guessing it was stuck in Demo mode. He said he'll try again but may want me to come and check it out. He said he'd really like to get a Speedo of some sort working (he refuses to get a Smart Phone as he loves being inaccessible), so I suggested looking at the Navigation Package for the Hummingbird as all that I've seen have Speed displayed somewhere.

My wife & I, met Barry & his wife, for a Pub Dinner last Friday (we all try not to cook on Fridays). He said he's been out on the boat a couple more times but still hasn't got the Crab trap out I gave him (needs a Fishing Licence). I think he needs more trips with me just to get comfortable with it. Even though he's taken and passed the Boating course, I get the feeling he's still not very confident. That will come in time.

So I'm now off to find a deal on the Navigation Option for the Hummingbird 718 .

I hope you all have a great Boating Season!
-Jim- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:16 PM   #25
Admiral

Jim glad to hear you and Barry are off to a good start this season.

The boating class only teaches the rules so unless he pays for one on one time he just needs to get out there.

Enjoy

Mike