Old 05-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Send a message via AIM to TBarCYa
Default 1800MX Storage Options

I'm getting ready for my first weekend on the water in 2011 and reflecting on 2010 trying to pick out those little things that just weren't quite right while aboard and it turns out that just about all of them are about storage. I know that no matter how big the boat, storage is always a concern (the more space you have the more stuff you bring) but on a small boat, it's especially important so I'm going to throw out some ideas I have to maximize storage and am looking for more ideas. If anyone has done any of these and have pics, I'd love to see them....

One of the biggest things that bugs me while underway is stuff in the glovebox making noise. I keep my flares, signal mirror, first aid kit, sunscreen, bottle opener, prop pliers, spare fuses and bulbs and a bunch of other stuff in there and it's noisy plus it makes it difficult to get to the radio to change stations. The idea here is to get a mesh organizer with several pockets and mount hooks under the gunwales at the port console and keep all of that stuff there. It hasn't really moved very far so it's still very accessible, but it won't make any noise.

I need to keep tools aboard just in case but there's no good place to stow them. I'm thinking that a tool roll (canvas bag with pouches that rolls up) would be good attached to the inside of the port console with velcro straps and plastic buckles. It costs a couple visible screw heads where we walk thru, but I get to bring more tools and not have to hear them.

Whenever we're out, finding a place to keep towels so that they stay clean and dry is difficult. I'm thinking that a shelf made of starboard that goes in the ski locker would be a good solution. The shelf would drop into the locker and the sides would be tall enough to contact the locker hatch to hold it in place. A little rubber around the tops of the sides would keep it quiet and dry and since the shelf wouldn't sit on the bottom of the bilge, water can still pass thru and I can still keep my fins there.

Lifejackets are another storage problem on a small boat. In NJ, kids 12 and under are required to wear them when underway, but as of this year, only two of my 5 kids are required to wear them. I'm going to keep all of them wearing their jackets as much as I can, but I don't want them to opt for not boating because the jackets are hot. I just got everybody new ones tho so hopefully, I'll get a little while where they want to wear them. Anyhow, for the times that we're not underway I'm thinking of those plastic hooks with the double-sided adhesive to mount under the gunwales to hang the jackets. I have to see if there's enough room, but if it works, the jackets will have a place to dry while not being worn rather than stacked up in the ski locker or under the bow seat AND they'll be much more easily accessible in case we need them.

I used to keep my tube tow rope in the ski locker, but I found the strap that came with the rope and realized it has a grommet where I can hang it. I'm thinking again of under the gunwale on a hook to keep it out of the way.

Basically, the more stuff I can keep off the cockpit floor and from making noise, the happier I'll be.

I'm looking for more or better ideas, so if you have any, let me know.

2008 Maxum 1800MX - 'Lottie-Da'
https://www.tombarcia.net/lottie-da/index.htm
TBarCYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I agree, I also like having a place for everything and everything in its place. Stuff cluttering the deck drives me nuts.

I like your ideas Tom, and they sound workable. I don't as much of a storage problem on our boat because of the cuddy but the boat lacks a glove box, aside from a very small one in the starboard gunwale. I really want/need something larger to hold phones/cameras/openers/sun screen/etc-etc. I like your idea of a pocketed mesh (or something) organizer that I can mount/hang on the port console inside the cabin. I've look for such a thing a little but haven't come up with anything yet.

Looking forward to seeing some of your solutions.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Dan,

Go to westmarine.com and search for organizer. There are two that they carry. Not exactly what I'm looking for, but the same general idea.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Admiral

Dan and Tom I like the everything in its place theory. I've tried to do that most of my life. It seems when the theory goes to the wayside you might have too much stuff.......get rid of the junk you don't use or don't need to have.

One advantage of having a slip is a storage locker to put stuff into, but if you trailer and don't have this maybe have a storage locker on your truck or tow vehicle for that stuff that is used once in while. Gee work your way up to a 30 footer like we have done you still have that clutter hanging around.

When I had a boat your size 1988 2150 Bayliner it had a small compartent on the port side where a portable head was. That was my storage room for everything. We didn't use the head that much so I got rid of it and put more stuff in.

Keeping five kids in order is a feat in itself! Your doing a great job so far..........

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

I'm actually looking at an older 28' as a weekender so a dock box at the slip will most likely happen.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
Admiral

Well good luck to you on that!
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Thank you. I was trying to keep the 1800 and get the bigger boat but it's looking like I may have to make a choice. In that case, I keep the 1800 because she's practically brand new and I'm the only owner so I know exactly what to expect every time out. Maybe I'll consider it for next year.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Ensign

Hi Tom,
We're on different sides of the country but with identical boats. I, too, have a 2008 Maxum 1800MX and love it.
If you're organized and only keep the stuff you really need on board, the 1800 has tons of storage. I've made a bunch of mods to suit my boating needs but its unreal the amount of extra gear I have and none of it bangs around.
In my glove compartment alone, I have binoculars, waterproof camera, a high powered LED spotlight, LED flashlight,LED headlight, a laser emergency signaling light instead of flares, spare batteries, a backup charger for my iPhone, retractable iPhone cables, folding knife/spoon/fork/bottle opener combo etc. I simply placed a microfiber towel at the bottom and the gear on top and none of it bangs around even though I fish in some tough conditions.
The area up front of the ski locker, under the bow can be used to store quite a bit of gear as well.
I've made a bunch of mods to suit my boating needs as well.
Cheers
dockhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #9

Welcome to the site Dockhan. Nice boat, very, very clean.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:34 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Dockhan,

I'm loving the underside of the ski locker lid! I have two PVC tubes that hold my flags that would go great under there along with the boat hook. As far as the batteries, are they in battery trays or sitting on the floor with the strap holding them down? I had a lot of trouble fitting a second battery let alone a third. Did you have to move anything around to get them to fit? I don't like how mine are situated now and am looking for other options.

Thanks.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Tom, I saw those in WM's catalog. They are close, would do, but also not exactly what I'm looking for.

I hear ya Roger, but I don't really have much that I tote around, or bring aboard, the boat. Not even tools. I'm really just looking for something to keep smaller items organized and secured.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
............ I don't really have much that I tote around, or bring aboard, the boat. Not even tools.
How ironic. One of the few guys on the site with the MOST mechanical knowledge doesn't bring any tools, while guys like me carry the shop around and call a tow boat. LOL. I have to admit, I've moved the oil filter wrench enough to start wondering if I REALLY need it on the boat.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #13
Ensign

Thanks Shrew,
Speaking from experience, I must say that I'm a believer in your Boating Theorem.
Tom, if you choose to put some clips to hold stuff under the ski locker door, be sure to size the screws for them so that they don't go thru the gelcoat on the topside.
I did have to unscrew the trim pump bracket from the floor and relocate it to the furthest corner for the 3 batteries to fit. Its just 4 screws securing it to the floor but its a bit tight to work back there. I did't use battery trays, just stainless screws thru the bottom of the battery case (there are predrilled holes on the Optimas) to the floor plus the battery strap. The Optimas are gel cell, so I don't need to remove them. I have quick connects to charge them, plus a combiner that charges them from the alternator.
Another mod I did, shown in the attached pics, was to pre install and zip tie a spare alternator belt, so I won't have to carry onboard the heavy tools needed to replace one on the water. The power steering belt is a straightforward replacement and shouldn't require heavy tools. I carry a spare belt in my onboard tool bag.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #14
Lt. Commander

I can't believe how clean it is behind your seats... Any and all debris that falls on the sole ends up back there on mine and is a pain in the butt to get clean. I'm probably going to steal most of your ideas at some point during the summer.

One of the best tools I ever found is called the SkewDriver. It's a 90 degree (probably actually 85 degree) offset gear driven screwdriver that lets you work in the tightest places. It fits in a drill or 1/4" screwdriver handle and accepts standard 1/4" screwdriver tips. It's the best thing ever invented...

http://www.spectools.com/indexus.html.htm

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #15
Ensign

Hey Tom,
Wish I'd known of the SkewDriver when I was working back there with my head, shoulder and arm poking thru the tiny cutout behind the aft jump seat, Thanks for sharing!
Most of my ideas for mods were "stolen" as well but thats the purpose of forums such as these.
I have 2 almost-grown teenage boys who enjoy wake boarding and tubing and often bring their pals along. I like to fish, most of the time alone, so my mods were done with these activities in mind as I can't afford 2 boats. Like you, I enjoy modifying the boat to suit those needs.
We've identical boats so I'd be happy to share what I've done and learnt along the way.
Cheers!