Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 06 Maxum Platform

It's been a while since I've last posted on here. I bought and installed me a platform. Took her to the lake his weekend and I can honestly say this is one of the best things I have bought for the boat. No more worries about the kids jumping onto the propeller.

DJ63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:00 AM   #2
Admiral

nice

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Nice job on the platform. I put one on our 2400scr about two months ago and agree it is the best addition we have done to the boat. Enjoy.
BDOG
BDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Ensign

Hey DJ63, I was looking at getting the same platform for my 08. Afterlooking at it, it doesn't seem that you can raise the trim all the way up for trailering??? Did you have to make any adjustments for that? I'd hate to raise it for trailering and crack the platform.
The Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #5

If you cracked the platform raising the drive all the way, then the platform would essentially be underwater most of the time when the boat is at rest. That appears to be an optical illusion. Next time the boat is in the water and sitting idle, raise the drive all the way and look at how much of the drive is actually out of the water.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #6
Captain

lets see the 64 chevy in the garage!
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Hey Show
The Drive has plenty of clearance for towing. I think it may be the angel of the picture but I haven’t had any issues. The only thing I have to do and when you buy the platform they send you some spacers that don’t allow the drive to go all the way up. Right now I have to pay attention to the drive when lifting it because the platform sits just a bit lower than what the trim fully lifted allows so if I lift it completely I can actually rip the platform off. They sent me some 1.5 spacers that should take care of it but I won’t put them on for a month or so.

J
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Show View Post
Hey DJ63, I was looking at getting the same platform for my 08. Afterlooking at it, it doesn't seem that you can raise the trim all the way up for trailering??? Did you have to make any adjustments for that? I'd hate to raise it for trailering and crack the platform.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Lt. JG

That's my 63; she’s a work in progress. I've had her for 12 years now, used to drive her daily until I got the idea to restore her. Once I started taking things off I’d find rust, than I’d remove the rust and find more rust under that, lol. Then with deployments and wife/kids work and until this past March I was going to school full time I didn’t have much free time for anything so she’s been sitting torn apart for a couple of years. I did get a chance last night to start working on her again; the goal is to have her done in the next 3 years.

Here are some pics, of what once was.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0296-1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	2197

Name:	2njvsat.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	2198

Name:	359aici.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascavone View Post
lets see the 64 chevy in the garage!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
Ensign

Great, thanks for the reply. That answered my question! I like the Chevy, i'm a car guy as well. I have a fully restored 70 Mustang and just sold my 72 Charger. Happy boating!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
Ensign

One more question, where did you get the plastic piece that covers the original ladder after being removed?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #11
Lt. JG

It came with the platform. I asked them about the cover because I didn't want it to just be a hole and they said they make them as well and shipped it with the platform. I only have it laying in place just for the picture. I still have to go get a filler piece to go in the groves because I'm a little worried it will crack with all the playing the kids do while in th water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Show View Post
One more question, where did you get the plastic piece that covers the original ladder after being removed?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:46 AM   #12
Lt. JG

Oh and the install was fairly simple. I used the kids to carry it to the boat and I used 2x4s and the drive hold it up, took me about 3 hours or so to do it and that was taking my time. Just remember when you drill the holes in the gel coat to start the drill in reverse first, if you go forward you'll chip the heck out of it.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:52 AM   #13
Ensign

Sounds great, thanks again. One last question, did you have to ask for the 1.5 spacers or did they come with the platform. Any idea how they work?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
Lt. JG

I remember bringing up the subject of the drive hitting the platform and he mentioned the spacers. When the platform arrived the trim spacer kit was in the box of hardware. I haven’t put them on yet but it seems somewhat easy, not saying I will do it myself but I understand how they go. The two cylinders that raise and lower the drive have a screw on cap on the top of each one. Those get removed and the spacer goes in and the cap gets reinstalled. The boat shop told me it would take about an hour to install and I figure it’s easier to pay the hour of labor and faster do get done than it is to do it myself. All the spacer does it limit the travel of the cylinder so it does not fully expand.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #15
Ensign

Thank you again for answering my questions, i'm gonna order the platform.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #16
Admiral

Is that a Swimplatform.com platform?
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
Lt. JG

www.swimplatforms.com

with out the s, it will take you to another company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
Is that a Swimplatform.com platform?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #18
Ensign

One last question, did you use screws to attach the supports to the hull at the bottom? There is no access on the inside of the hull to put a backing plate.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #19
Lt. JG

Yup, they supplied them. It's all wood behind the fiberglass on the spot where they are attached to so they set in pretty good.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #20
Ensign

Thanks for posting the pics! Thats really helpful.