Old 11-30-2018, 11:27 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Windless Installation

Hi All,
I am going to do a well needed update and install a windless on my 95 3200 SCR, the only problem is there isn't any wiring laid into the hull up into the anchor locker, (I don't know why they don't do this straight from the factory), anyway....I was trying to figure out the best route, and it looks to be under the valance that runs along the Starboard side above the dinette table, where the side hull meets the top, the only problem is, I'm not sure how to get that valance off because there aren't any visible screws, and it's too tight to be velcroed, so I'm wondering if there is anyone here who has had those off, that can enlighten me? I have an educated guess maybe it can be confirmed, my guess is possibly hidden screws under the rub rail? Or if anyone has done this already has a different routing or tips!
Thanks in advance,
Mike

0Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:03 AM   #2
Admiral

I believe your guess is correct as shrew said that’s how it was on his 2800.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:37 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Gravity View Post
Hi All,
I am going to do a well needed update and install a windless on my 95 3200 SCR, the only problem is there isn't any wiring laid into the hull up into the anchor locker, (I don't know why they don't do this straight from the factory), anyway....I was trying to figure out the best route, and it looks to be under the valance that runs along the Starboard side above the dinette table, where the side hull meets the top, the only problem is, I'm not sure how to get that valance off because there aren't any visible screws, and it's too tight to be velcroed, so I'm wondering if there is anyone here who has had those off, that can enlighten me? I have an educated guess maybe it can be confirmed, my guess is possibly hidden screws under the rub rail? Or if anyone has done this already has a different routing or tips!
Thanks in advance,
Mike

That is the same cable route is used on my 2800 scr. I was just there this past weekend running some cables ..
marcucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #4

That piece of marine upholstered vinyl covering where the deck and hull seam are joined is screwed in from the exterior through the rub rail.

To get from the engine compartment to the helm, Stbd is the recommended route. however, to get from the engine compartment to anchor locker, you would run up the port side. It would run through the back of the lower cabinets in the galley.

You will more than likely need to remove all of the drawers and the fridge to route up the port side. Follow the AC ducting.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:17 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Hello,
Just curious. What windlass did you choose?I am looking to add a windlass to my 2700 SCR.
Teamharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Gravity View Post
.............. my guess is possibly hidden screws under the rub rail?
If we're talking about the upholstered (marine vinyl) panel that runs down the port and starboard side that covers the transition where the deck and hull are attached, then yes, there are screws coming if from the rub rail.

Your option is to pull the rubber on the rub rail, then identify which screw heads are for the upholstery and then remove them. You'll need to re-caulk when you reinstall them.

The board is lauan. I muscled one off, then used 3M heavy duty velcro to reattach it.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #7

As for the route, it should be easier to make the run up the Port side. There should be a passage from the engine compartment up the port side. It should run through the locker on the port side as you come down the stairs into the cabin. It would continue behind the galley (You'll need to remove the fridge and a few drawers. It will then run into the hanging locker and then up under the forward berth.

On the way, you will find all of your through hulls. If your boat is a 1995, then it came with nylon through hulls. If they haven't been replaced yet, they need to be. Nylon through hulls get chalky when their need to be replaced. They also get brittle and snap very easily. Since you've got the spaces open, you might as well start replacing them while you're there (if you haven't already).