Old 12-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Watch me replace a section of floor on my 1998 1900 SR2

Ok, some interest was generated when I posted pictures of my boat in the "post pics of your boat" thread so I'll tell my story here and give more pics.

I bought this boat a month ago on Craigslist for 1700$ no trailer. When I went to see it, I didn't expect much from a boat that was listed for 1800$ I expected ALOT worse than what I saw.

What I saw was a boat that had been run hard and put away wet. She was just generally not cared for. Very dirty/stained exterior and an interior that hasn't seen a vacum cleaner since Brittany Spears was hot. The good things I saw were: solid gelcoat, Beautiful carpet and vinyl (suprisingly), and a floor that felt solid except for one small area at the back left corner of the ski locker. I knew the ski locker cover would need new wood and I new the engine cover would need new wood as well.

Here's what I have done so far:

I spent 10 hours buffing the hull with a high speed buffer and Rubbing compound from 3M. The Paint is in excellent shape but I will be replacing the stripes. I am also removing the plastic letters and repainting them.

I am replacing the ski locker cover. Already done. No pics.

I am replaceing the engine cover/sundeck Pics below

I am replacing the small (lol) soft area of the floor

I also paid a mobile marine mechanic to service the lower end and to service all my electronics, replace fuses, clean corrosion off the contacts, replace a bilge pump and inspect the boat for other future maintenence issues. $670

I got a deal on the trailer from a dealer who sold a boat to a guy who didn't need the trailer that came with it. $1000 out the door.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
Ensign

Default Re: Watch me replace a section of floor on my 1998 1900 SR2

Here's the boat after being buffed: You can see that I didn't buff the bottom and that it was VERY chalky and not maintained AT ALL. Sorry about the photo quality, it is very cloudy out this week.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
Ensign

Here's a photo of the back deck/engine cover originally after I removed it:

And here is the in progress: I used pressure treated before I found out that I should have used Marine grade plywood. I have already done all but the re-upholstering so if it fails and I have to re-do it, I will consider it lesson learned. I'm sure it will be fine. Maybe I will wood primer all the edges. I am not going to primer the whole thing b/c the wood won't be able to breathe. (Which is what I believe caused the failure to begin with)

Old 12-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
Ensign

Ok, here's the floor. I was only going to patch a small spot but when I pulled the carpet back I realized th entire leading edge of the ski locker was rotting and a more permanent repair was my best solution. I pulled the seats which was very easy to do and I pulled the entire carpet out of the floor which was also easy to do. It just pulled right up. i was going to cut out the damaged area and replace the wood by attaching the new wood to the good wood on the floor with small metal straps until I realized that there was another floor joist about 4" in. I decided to cut the middle of that and then I found a solid stringer on the back (stern) that I cut to.

In the front area, Maxum had one 1x2 stringer in front of the locker opening that had completely rotted out so I decided to cut all the way up and replace the floor and add stringers. I will probably use pressure treated 2x4 for the floor support(s).

Also, you can see that Maxum used 3/4 plywood ont he side of the front part of the locker and I am not sure why. It doesn't appear to support anything and it was rotted to ****. the floor joist it was mounted to is starting to rot as well. It was fiberglassed in but I will not be redoing it that way.

I plan on getting propylene glycol to dry the joist and then I will use wood epoxy to repair the wood rot damage to the joist. Once that drys I am going to replace the section of rotted plywood with Marine grade and then I am only goping to fiberglass the piece in along the bottom and sides. I believe the wood wasn't able to breathe/dry and that's what caused the rot.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Ensign

I am on my way to go get the Marine plywood right now so I will update and take as many photos as I can. Please feel free to make suggestions and ask questions.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Great pics Bryan... keep on posting, I have the 1996 version of this boat, it looks exactly the same... feel free to hollar if you need any reference pictures or if I can be of any assistance... happy to help... heck one day I might have to reference your photos for mine .... I'm lucky in that my 1900 was rarely used and almost always garaged so she's pretty solid (knock on wood).
jkcoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
Lt. JG

one more thing... as I see you are asking for "tips".... a few years ago a I ran a 4" tree through the bottom of my brother's Champion bass boat (long story, best saved for another day). Anyways, we used the "west systems" epoxy to perform the repairs and I'd have to highly recommend the product over the regular polyester resin you see at Homo Depot and Lowes.... it costs more but its bonding capabilities as well as the ability to use various "fillers" to create the consistency you need make it a far superior choice.... just my $.02
jkcoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
Ensign

I realize this is a pretty old thread and I imagine you are done. But a couple points.

1) Nothing wrong with using pressure treated wood, the only problem is it tends to warp when it dries.

2) The wood doesn't need to breathe. You are best off totally encapsulating the wood to keep moisture out. Especially the stringers! My beef is that they tended to do a bad job of wrapping the stringers on the maxum/bayliners so rot at the deck would then infect the stringers. I would wrap the stringer completely with epoxy/cloth then make sure to fully epoxy any deck pieces (or any wood) you use anywhere.

So if you haven't yet, pull up the carpet and layer epoxy/polyester and maybe a sheet or two of fiberglass on top. Getting wet is the problem, even if it breathed and dried out the damage is done.
tschmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
Ensign

I just got a 97 maxum 1900sr2. The cover is off and the floor seems to b rotting all over. Is this repairable or is she finished.
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:20 PM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon View Post
I just got a 97 maxum 1900sr2. The cover is off and the floor seems to b rotting all over. Is this repairable or is she finished.
Very old thread you need to start your own as these folks have not been around in a long time.

Can you post some pictures of your rot? Sound like a total deck replacement. Also need to check supporting stringers for rot.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:04 PM   #11
Ensign

I have a 97 maxum 1900sr2, cant seem to find much info on it. There r a few soft spots on the deck. So im trying to get info on repairs.
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:36 PM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon View Post
I have a 97 maxum 1900sr2, cant seem to find much info on it. There r a few soft spots on the deck. So im trying to get info on repairs.
Doubt you'll find hull construction info but they are all basically the same. If you want this type of info Google rotten boat deck replacement to get info including videos.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote