Old 03-18-2016, 10:34 PM   #1
Ensign

Default trolling motor install?

Hello I recently purchased a 1996 maxum sr 2100 and would like to install a bow mount trolling motor probably a 24 volt. I have a battery on each side of the motor and my question is can I add another battery to one side to run the tm or will I need a separate battery set up? and just out of curiosity why does this boat have two batteries?. I am used to bass boats and fish and ski's so this is a bit different than what I am used to. Thanks for any advice.

jselleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:40 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

There are 2 batteriers for one being a spare. You select either batt 1 or 2 while running and sitting on the hook. After a day of electronics the battery may be to low to start the engine so you switch to the other so you can get home.

While you could add a third battery to be in series with one of the existing ones be sure you do not discharge the other spare or after trolling you may be stuck.

Not sure how to set it up so the third one will get charged by the alternator.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for the reply. I guess the battery setup was my real question,never had an I/O before so the battery deal is a bit confusing for me. On my outboards the tm batterys were always separate,1for the boat two for the TM with a separate on board charger for the tm batteries(wall plug). If I could somehow add 1 battery would be ideal but the alternator/charging is a bit puzzling.I guess I may have to find a spot to add two tm batteries.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
Admiral

Yea my real concern is if you add another in series the existing one when being charged may find a sneak path through the added one but it will be reversed polarity.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
Admiral

IMHO I would set your two battery system for the trolling motor separate from your engine batteries. If you have an open bow boat use the storage compartments up front on each side with or without a charger. One battery on each side to balance it out. Far less cable if you don't go back to the engine also.

This way you know if you drain the trolling batteries you still have your engine batteries to start your engine and you didn't drain the bank on battery cables.

Let us know what you come with.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #6
Ensign

Thanks for the replies Gentlemen, I'm thinking the separate 2 batteries will be the way to go. gonna do some more research and will let you know the final result.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #7
Ensign

Another question, what size shaft would be optimal for the trolling motor? I meant to measure the distance from bow to waterline last time out and forgot. anybody with an sr 2100 have a tm mounted and what length shaft? as for the battery question I think I'm gonna remove bow cushion and build a box and small deck there to hold the batteries.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #8

Your current battery setup is a 12v system. You're considering adding a 24v trolling motor. The battery systems are going to need to be completely separate as they are not interchangeable. You'e either going to need a dedicated 24 volt battery or install 2 x 12v and wire them in a Series.

A trolling motor will be best served with a deep cycle marine battery. If I have a large draw item such as a trolling motor, I would want my starting battery to be completely separate from my starting system.

In fact, I would consider having a dedicated circuit for the trolling motor, a dedicated starting battery and a house battery which could double as an alternate starter to run depth finder and other devices when not running.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #9
Ensign

I have already decided to keep the trolling motor circuit seperate from the rest of the boat,it already has two batteries and a switch to control those or seperate which I am using for the motor,electronics. I am looking at removing center bow cushion and building a small deck and box underneath for the TM batteries or now that you mentioned it maybe 1 24v battery. I was just kinda hopeful that I could somehow use the motor to charge the TM battery/ batteries but I guess that's not gonna work out. Thanks for the reply now I have more decisions to make! Lol.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:17 AM   #10
Ensign

I guess there is not a 24v so will have to go with the 2 12's
Old 04-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jselleh View Post
I guess there is not a 24v so will have to go with the 2 12's
Sealed Lead Acid Battery 24v from Interstate Battery System of America, Inc

Keep in mind, you'll need a 24v battery charger to recharge that as well.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
Ensign

I guess my internet search skills are sub standard,thanks. I wonder what that beast weighs.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

Select the battery you want and look down below at the specs. They have the weight shown clearly for you.
jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:17 PM   #14
Ensign

I think for ease of use and pulling in and out of boat the 2 12v will be the set up I go with. Thanks for the info
Old 10-24-2016, 01:09 AM   #15
Lt. JG

can i ask,,how did you mount your trolling motor with the sloped bow?
Shynstar1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #16
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shynstar1st View Post
can i ask,,how did you mount your trolling motor with the sloped bow?
Well.... I have not quite gotten around to it yet Sorry.