Old 07-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #21
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

It's definitely big, Jeff. A little swim step envy.....

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #22
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
It's definitely big, Jeff. A little swim step envy.....
X2

oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmeans View Post
My 2001 model year 2900 SCR now has 47" to stand on, barbecue off of, swim.... enough room to add two large folding chairs (w/a small table in-between to hold drinks!) and still be comfortable.
Ya mean like this??.....

Bella Sera 3300SCR
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #24

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
Um, only need two of which?
I sure hope those things are screw off top, cuz you'll never be able to lift the bottle opener!!!

Bella Sera 3300SCR
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #25
Lieutenant

Pics as promised..in a downloadable pdf, the images were kinda big.

http://www.jeffperfater.com/SBPlatformInstall.pdf
SummerBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #26
Commander

Great write up and pics Jeff, Thanks for sharing.

This is VERY high on my list but probably won't happen until next Spring.
oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #27
Lieutenant

One quick note to platform installation. You will want to lay a thin piece of felt or similar material between the original platform and the new platform, because no matter how tight you make the bolts after installation there is an obvious squeek when you walk on certain parts of the new platform caused by fiberglass to fiberglass connection.
SummerBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #28
Commander

Great pics of the platform. I would like to do the same so I showed the Admiral your pics. The only way she is on-board is if it would be closer to the water. Has anyone installed or priced a hydraulic swim platform?
dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #29
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

I'm told the hydraulic platforms can't be done when you have outdrives (BII, BIII, etc...) Ya gotta have V-drives/shafts, which you probably do on a 3700, dron. $6K was what I was told, then they asked me about my boat and said, sorry... no can do.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #30
Lt. JG

Thanks for all the info Jeff, we are planning on doing it this winter as well! Quick question, you mentioned having an issue getting on plane because of the additional weight? We aren't the quickest getting on plane now either, and I don't want it to prevent us from getting on plane somewhat quickly since the lakes we boat on are pretty shallow.

Thanks again for your help and advice! Your slideshow was also very helpful!
M & M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #31
Lt. Commander

Well, getting on plane with the additional 120+ lbs as far aft as an extended swim platform is mounted certainly won't improve ANY boat's planing ability obviously. But considering how infrequent we get on plane in the first place, the convenience of planing a few seconds faster compared to having this "patio" on Endless Summer outweighs ANY concerns we may have had. Compared to planing a few seconds quicker---the extra living space, safety and usefullness is appreciated nearly every hour we're on it. A trade-off I would make any day of the week.

Glad to help, I know you won't regret installing it... good luck!
Old 09-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #32
Lt. JG

if it's only a few seconds, we will just have everyone move towards the front of the boat to help her along...

Another question, is the 600 lbs maximum that they stated in the email quote on the conservative side? When we raft up, people hop boats, and we usually have a small dance party on the back because of our stereo system, and I don't want to worry about it cracking or breaking.
Thanks again! Happy Monday!
Old 09-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #33
Lt. Commander

Hmmmm... 600 lbs---I don't remember that specification when I bought mine from the folks in Arizona. But it could very well be---thinking back, I've had as many as four people on it at one time, probably closer to about 700 lbs and didn't notice one bit of stress. Keep in mind I have FOUR poles supporting mine, due to the fact I have only one engine. Two engine boats (don't know what you have) can only have THREE poles/bars supporting it underneath due to the dual outdrives. You may want to see if they can upgrade the size of those support rods if you're concerned with people dancing around on it. Like many structures we've seen fail, the rythym of dancing/bouncing seems to put more stress on any surface when the weight limit is maxed-out.

Just a thought, or have a camera ready for everyone falling into the water...that would probably make it on America's Funniest Home Videos!
Old 09-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #34
Lt. JG

I will check with swimplatforms.com and keep everyone updated. We are planning on doing this as a winter project, this among many other projects.

As for the camera, that would be a great idea because hopefully if we won as the funniest video, we could use that money to buy a new platform!!! Might look funny with a bunch of girls dancing and then falling into 2 feet of water LOL
Old 10-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #35
Lt. JG

So we started to install our platform yesterday. Everything is done except the poles underneath. They only sent us 3 poles when we should have 4 (we have a single screw). Does anyone have pics to share of theirs underneath? We are Having a hard time trying to figure out where to position the poles. Our ladder is on the left side. Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-24-2011, 03:25 AM   #36
Lt. Commander

As luck would have it, Endless Summer is sitting out in front of my house for 2 of the 4 days a year its there today and tomorrow. I'll take a short video of it tomorrow (in daylight) to show you where I had to mount my 4 poles. Stay tuned, I'll upload a video tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #37
Lt. JG

ThanKs Jeff! This would be a huge help! Looking forward to seeing the video... And I'm jealous you boat all year! Here in Chicago we only get 6 months if we're lucky!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #38
Lt. Commander

Uh, I wasn't very clear about Endless Summer's location! We too boat just six months a year I'm afraid. Due to my Homeowner's Association rules I can't put her (on the trailer) in front of my house for more than 48 hours, so I have to do winterization, summerization and other projects at other locations before and after the season---my parents' house in nearby Rathdrum, ID looks like it will be the "preferred" site from now on. She's getting ready to go to winter storage tomorrow---where she'll sit for five months I'm afraid in a big, covered storage facility on the north side of Spokane that my uncle owns. When you live at the 47th parallel and boat at 2,100' above sea level you're LUCKY to get six months a year in as it's common to get temps WELL below zero here in the off-season!

It sits in front of our house for that 48 hour period between storage, projects and moorage for just a few days a year.

Anyway, hopefully the link below will connect you to a short 50" video I just uploaded to YouTube. I've only done this upload-thing to YouTube a few times, but I think it will work. Basically what we did when my dad and I installed this platform a few seasons ago was have someone inside at the helm station turn the steering wheel all the way to port, then starboard... and MARK where the poles should go. I even took into account if the outdrive was up a long way and made sure it wouldn't hit the support poles if it was turned hard-over to port or starboard trimmed way up.

Funny that they only sent you three support bars/poles, as they did the same thing to me! Guess we're a rare boat with only one engine, huh? Good luck and take some pictures when you've completed it to share here! Here's that link;

Old 10-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #39
Lt. JG

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the video that was perfect! Just one question for you, did you measure the lengths you needed then sent them back to the swimplatforms.com guys or did they just resend you 4 poles? Just curious because they are asking me for the length of the poles I need, and I could measure but not until this weekend being that I am on the road this week. Thanks again for your help!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #40
Lt. Commander

I rememeber that I opened the crate as soon as I got it, realized there was only four poles in it... and immediately called them. They appologized and sent one (via overnight freight/FedEx) that same day as I only had two days to install it. They didn't ask for a measurement when I called them, they knew exactly what they had done (assumed I had a twin-engine unit).

Based on your profile, M & M... your 2000 model year 2800 SCR is identical in hull size/configuration as my 2001 2900 SCR, so whatever pole length I have, your's should be the same. Feel free to use my name/address to help them "remember"; Jeff Means, and they sent it to this address: 2600 East Seltice Way-Post Falls, ID 83854. I bought mine in the Spring of 2007, though... they may not have records of the purchase from 4-1/2 years ago!

Good luck.