Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Projects and Customisations
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Thumbs up Subwoofer Install

Spring 2010 Project - 1992 Maxum 1800SR

Part of the complete stereo system upgrade was the addition of a Polk Audio 12" subwoofer to the bow bulkhead of my 1800SR. The install included the addition of a 3/4"
marine plywood doubler to the bulkhead to support the subwoofer. The sub is powered by a Kenwood KAC-8105D mono amp. Needless to say it rocks the water and the chicks simply love riding on the bow cushion directly above the sub.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00477.1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1095Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00479.1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1048

deanries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #2

Thumbs up

Atta Boy Deanries!!

You addressed the one thing that 99.99% of boat audio systems lack,.......BASS!! Nice install! I delt with the same problem on my 3300SCR. I added a 12" Boss Marine sub pushed by a 2k watt Boss Marine amp with a head unit Bass output control to keep things sounding just right. I also designed a custom Bose speaker tower that adjusts for sound forward or down too. Enjoy that upgrade! Rock on Deanries!!

Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Smile Nice System

Bella Sera - That's quite a system you have in your cruise ship! Thanks for the compliments on mine. The project turned out to a lot of time and labor (meticulous) but I am very proud of the result. Speaking of sound control, with the Kenwood KDC-HD545U
head unit plus the Kenwood KAC-8105D sub amp we have total control of the sound. Can't match the power of your system, putting about 300 w or so to the sub. For the 18 ftr that's works just fine. Here's a couple more pics for your viewing pleasure
"Go Big or Go Home"
Dean (deanries)
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00470.1.jpg   DSC00486.1.jpg  
Old 02-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #4

Thanks Maxum brotha. Looks like yours oughta do the job nicely. I hope you have a dual batt set up cuz these high power systems (while not under way) go through battery power like a African Lion eats Baby Zebras!! Yum!

Enjoy that bumpin Maxum you got there Dean!

Bella Sera
Old 02-06-2011, 01:53 AM   #5
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Sera 3300SCR View Post
Thanks Maxum brotha. Looks like yours oughta do the job nicely. I hope you have a dual batt set up cuz these high power systems (while not under way) go through battery power like a African Lion eats Baby Zebras!! Yum!

Enjoy that bumpin Maxum you got there Dean!

Bella Sera
Thought seriously about the need for the dual batteries but going it with one at present. I put a new, deep cycle in her last May before the season started. Don't have the specs handy but my oldest son (he's an auto service writer/tech/asstnt shop manager) got me a good deal on it. I did install a 1.2 farad capacitor which Crutchfield reccomended. They say you need 1 farad for ea 500W amplified pwr. With the sub amp (300 +/-) and the 4 chan amp (260 +/-) the 1.2 does us fine. One thing is for certain, don't have the system on long without the engine running ( the african lion theory, ha ha). Take care.
"Go Big or Go Home"
Dean (deanries)
Old 02-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #6

Deanries,

I'd strongly suggest getting a second battery and a 2 batt. switch. Even if you don't sit in the boat listening to the stereo with the motor off frequently or for very long. With an increase in amp hour draw like that should come a cooresponding increase in amp hour capacity. Remember, the necessary capacity is dictated by draw and you just exponentially increased your potential draw.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #7

Hey Dean,
good point with the caps, although I bought the capacitors suggested but ended up returning them because there was no need for them after testing the system with and w/o them. There was / is no noticable difference of the rest of the Bella's electrical system such as lights dimming during use (even when the volume is truly bodacious cranking Led Zep!) Since Bella has 2 group 31 dedicated house batts and of course the 4.5 kw Westerbeke Genny to suplement them, she has plenty of reserve power. If you end up still going with one batt (hopefully a group 31 combo deep cycle /starting type, I run the Gel Cell variety and love them.)

Then at the very least carrry a well charged portable car starter (or don't go boating alone and bring jumper cables!)

Have fun!

Bella Sera
Old 02-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Deanries,

I'd strongly suggest getting a second battery and a 2 batt. switch. Even if you don't sit in the boat listening to the stereo with the motor off frequently or for very long. With an increase in amp hour draw like that should come a cooresponding increase in amp hour capacity. Remember, the necessary capacity is dictated by draw and you just exponentially increased your potential draw.
Shrew - Thanks for the advice! I'll have to put that on my "to do" project list. One thing in my favor is the fact that outside of the stereo/amp components there is next to nothing amp/hr draw on the system. Another plus is the boat is powered by the tiny 3.0L engine. Does'nt take many amps to crank her over. When I do attempt to add the 2nd battery & switch it will be a close quarters, tight fit job. Present battery is located port side of the engine and is already difficult to work on through the small access door. Thanks again for the reply/post.
"Go Big or Go Home"
Dean (deanries)
Old 02-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Bella Sera- Hey with all that power generated has the power company asked for you to hook into the grid, haha! Like the idea about having the portable start unit onboard. Something I'll need to do until the 2nd battery project is completed (see reply post to Shrew's post). Looked up where Winona, MN is located, that's on the Mississippi correct? Take care & come on Spring!
"Go Big or Go Home"
Dean (deanries)
Old 02-09-2011, 01:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanries View Post
Bella Sera- Hey with all that power generated has the power company asked for you to hook into the grid, haha! Like the idea about having the portable start unit onboard. Something I'll need to do until the 2nd battery project is completed (see reply post to Shrew's post). Looked up where Winona, MN is located, that's on the Mississippi correct? Take care & come on Spring!
"Go Big or Go Home"
Dean (deanries)
Hey Dean,
Good one! Reserve electrical power on the boat is like horse power, way too much is just right!! I need all the current to keep up with bella's appetite (for power), or mine for dinner on the beach when I want to serve my lady a savory prime rib roast with baked potatoes and garlic bread cooked in her combo oven range! Yeah, I'm obsessed with this boat but what can I say....It's more fun than laughing!

Yep, we call Winona , MN home these days. Nestled right on the Miss River. I'm 10 min. from leaving work or home to the time I crack my first beer onboard. A nice place (during the summer anyway!!)

If space is limited go with a group 31 batt. They pack alot of punch without adding the 2nd batt cuz theres nothing more depressing than the clicking sound of motor that won't start. ;-(
Bella Sera-

Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Bella Sera/Captain Jeff,
Better than most homes! That's one fine cruise ship you got there... Well I'm sure you'll agree when I say "come on back global warming". It was 9 degrees with a -5 wind chill here this morning. Man I can't wait for summer. Take care of your jewel, she's a beut'.
I'll take ya up on your suggestion for a Group 31 battery as soon as last year's purchase bites the dust. Thanks for the suggestion.
"Go Big or Go Home"
Dean (deanries
Old 02-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #12

Red face

Cheers Dean,
It was -13' yesterday morning with a windchill f. of -25'! Thats one claim I hate to be the winner of. This winter has been brutal cold and lots of snow. Ol' Miss is gonna flood no doubt this spring if we get a sudden thaw. Damn flooding alway takes a good coupla weeks to go down to levels that my marina parking lot and boat ramp arnt 2' under water. That cuts the season short when you count the weeks in boating terms. Bet you can't wait to hit the water and play with your toys too. Hope for an early spring (yeah, right!)

Can't wait to get back to a lot of "this!!" Bella Sera 3300SCR -
Old 06-02-2021, 12:35 AM   #13
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Sera 3300SCR View Post
Atta Boy Deanries!!

You addressed the one thing that 99.99% of boat audio systems lack,.......BASS!! Nice install! I delt with the same problem on my 3300SCR. I added a 12" Boss Marine sub pushed by a 2k watt Boss Marine amp with a head unit Bass output control to keep things sounding just right. I also designed a custom Bose speaker tower that adjusts for sound forward or down too. Enjoy that upgrade! Rock on Deanries!!

Hey where did you instal your Subwoofer? I’m trying to find a spot right now in my 3000 SCR

TrevCanada is offline   Reply With Quote