Old 10-20-2017, 02:11 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Stock Anchor Replacement

I am looking for info and advice concerning replacing my stock anchor on a 94' 2700scr. The current anchor is an aluminum fluke style (16lb maybe). The fluke style anchor works pretty well up here on Lake Coeur d'alene, but I see quit a few plow style anchors around as well.

I feel the 16lb anchor is under rated. I am thinking of a 22lb rated aluminum plow type by Delta.

Any thoughts?

MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:15 AM   #2
Admiral

What is the bottom like? Mud?

Adding more chain will give you more improvement than a different anchor.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:28 AM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
What is the bottom like? Mud?

Adding more chain will give you more improvement than a different anchor.

I agree with Phillbo

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:42 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

Mud with some rocks mostly. I agree with the extra chain advice. I have 20' of 5/8" galvanized on now which is pretty good (heavy) so I think a new slightly bigger anchor would be a great up-grade for next season.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #5

I'm not a fan of Fluke (Danforth) style anchors. They don't handle reversing conditions well. They don't set well in weeds or grass. They have parts which can be fouled by the chain. They don't reset well. They excel in sand clay and pulling in the same direction they were set.

I've never heard of an aluminum plow. Fortress makes an aluminum fluke.

I would go for a 'new age' anchor. Rocna, Manson, Spade.

If you have an 'over-the-pulpit' style bow roller, then a rollbar style will be fine. If you have a through-pulpit, then the Rocna Vulcan or a Spade will fit better. I personally don't like the looks of the Manson Boss.

5/8 is huge chain for your boat. I have to wonder if the roller (wheel) itself is sized properly for it. 30 ft of 1/4" would be fine. Shorter and heavier is fine as well.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Hi Moonriver - I did the same thing a year or so ago. I chose a stainless steel plow that I found on Amazon for a fraction of Delta's price and it looks great. I added 10' more of rode using stainless chain (mostly for appearance above deck, but does add to my hold) and a chain lock to keep it in place. Due to the shank change on the anchor, I did have to remove the guide loop on the roller, but was able to find one on Amazon. I believe I had to do a web search for parts of a Lewmar type roller to find the guide, but it wasn't that hard. While I was at it, I went ahead and replaced the deck pipe since the black one was chipped and oxidized. I am happy with the white version of it, but if I did it again I would have done stainless (a matter of taste). See pictures. Anchors away!
Attached Thumbnails
0430161511.jpg   0430161511a.jpg   0804171626.jpg   0804171626a.jpg   StainlessPlwAnchor.PNG  

ChainLock.PNG   StainlessChain.PNG  
Old 10-21-2017, 05:36 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Chuck, that anchor looks great. But how does is work? I have been looking at the same one as well as the chain locking bracket. I'm using a bungee cord now and it looks horrible.

I have been looking at many of your posted upgrades, great info. I will be copying a few that I haven't done already.

Correction on my chain size, it's 3/8" which is oversized for this size boat. But I believe the previous owner did this instead of buying a new anchor, maybe.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #8
Lieutenant

It has worked fine for me. It is possible the extra 10' of stainless rode contributed to the success, but I wouldn't know since I installed both at the same time. The stock fluke was ok before, but I think this one is better given the same conditions mud/sand/light hard (no rocks or gravel).