Old 04-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default SMAT TABS - update

A small number of UK guys clubbed together to buy SMART TABS for our Maxum boats from the US manufacturer of SMART TABS.
This worked out less that 1/2 price of buying them in UK.

Thought I give an update after fitting these.

If you are not aware of SMART TABS they are plates that stick out of the bottom of the Transom, if level with hull they have no effect, if angled so tip is lower they significantly improve planing speed.

You can buy expensive electro hydraulic units and computerised controls.

However SMART TABS do this simply by having a damper that is matched to hull length and engine size. (you have several tune positions on boat as well)
At rest TABS are deployed 25 degree down, you apply power and they push up against transom load, preventing bow lift.
Once you are up to speed the tabs are forced down by water flow and then come out of play.

I have an 1800 SR3 ... generally happy with this boat except from rest if you were putting on full power with a skiier on the back eg. for a deep water start.
The bow would rise dramatically, so much that you lost all view of water in front of you until boat came onto plane.

Now with TABS the difference is startling ... no bow rise, full power on and it simply stays flat.
I have the TABS fitted with retractors so I can lock them up out of play (if I wanted maximum wake for example)

Yesterday we tried it several times and the difference was incredible.

It also lowered minimum planing speed which helped with kids on knee boards.

It is supposed to increase top speed by 2-3mph and improve mpg ..... can't confirm those yet, but it certainly does what it said it would do for handling.

It also improves boat handling in the turn as well.

All in all, a very worthwhile purchase.

If you are interested in them .... details are on manufactures website ... including some videos of them in use.

http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabsSX.htm

http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabs.htm
(click on performance video)

For those interested I have put a couple of pictures of the Smart Tabs installed on my 1800 on line ...

Take a look at http://tinyurl.com/dy2au5

This should take you to first image, click on 'public folder' to get to the rest.

You should find 4 pictures of the tabs there, I have shown them in running and retracted position ... and also a rear on picture so you can see the retractor mechanism.

I bought the units from an ebay retailer .. girlsauction2 the owner of the shop Tina Masari, was very helpful, in getting combination of Tabs, retractors etc, and a discount.

Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Default Re: SMAT TABS - update

Looks really interesting, thank you for the pictures!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

Tested mine out now too - Worked a treat!

Interestingly, Mine seem less aggressively angled than yours.

1 negative though - my wake now sucks! haha, but c'est la vie.. they can always be retracted!

Skiing's much better though!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit Rider
Tested mine out now too - Worked a treat!

Interestingly, Mine seem less aggressively angled than yours.

1 negative though - my wake now sucks! haha, but c'est la vie.. they can always be retracted!

Skiing's much better though!

I fitted mine to be 25 degree off the hull .... There is a template on line which I used to cut a piece of cardboard, so with damper in 'mid' hole ... you set it to 25 degree.
Haven't really noticed any negative impact on wake ... but I'm no wake expert like yourself.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Ensign

Hi Argonaut

I have a 2004 Maxum 1800SR3 with the 4.3L carb 190 engine and a Hi-5 stainless prop. I am keen to buy some of these smart tabs as hopefully they will reduce my planing speed for when my 8 & 10yr olds are kneeboarding and I will be able to see the water ahead instead of the sky !

The nauticus website suggests 80lbs dampers for a boat that is 18ft (and the SR3 is a heavy boat too for its size). Other forums have mentioned more success with the 60lbs dampers on 18ft boats as it allowed the trimming of the leg to work better and that in some cases the 80lbs was too strong and overrode any effect of trimming the leg out once on the plane and kept the bow to far dug in ? Did you go for 60 or 80 and if the 80 does your trim out work effectively ? I go on the sea as well as our ski lake and want to be able to lift the bow up if we hit some choppy water in Poole Harbour !

I also have a hydrofin on the leg at the moment which had a small improvement - guess I should take this off if I put tabs on ? I wonder if the Hi-5 prop would also influence the selection of damper - what prop do you run ?

Sorry - lots of questions - just would be so useful to have the thoughts of someone with the same model boat !

Regards

Dave
gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Send an eMail to Greg Schreiber <greg@nauticusinc.com>
he will advise teh best damper to use ... he has more experience than anyone else.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Ensign

Many thanks for the quick reply and the email contact - will get in touch with Greg asap.
gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:53 AM   #8
Lt. JG

I have a '96 1900SR2, w/ 4.3, and stock aluminum prop... after researching, I went with the 60# smart tabs and have to say I am very pleased. I get up on plane much quicker and more importantly (and the primary reason for going with smart tabs), no more chine walking. I've also notice she digs in much better on sharp corners. I don't think my wake has changed too much but to be compeltely honest, I didn't pay much attention to the wake before/after as i don't wakeboard behind this boat.... she's more of a floating bar.
jkcoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoon
I have a '96 1900SR2, w/ 4.3, and stock aluminum prop... after researching, I went with the 60# smart tabs and have to say I am very pleased. I get up on plane much quicker and more importantly (and the primary reason for going with smart tabs), no more chine walking. I've also notice she digs in much better on sharp corners. I don't think my wake has changed too much but to be compeltely honest, I didn't pay much attention to the wake before/after as i don't wakeboard behind this boat.... she's more of a floating bar.
That's good news because that's exactly what my boat is

Not got round to fitting mine yet ops:
Old 04-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #10
Lt. Commander

Default Re: SMART TABS - update

I know of a number of guys on UK Sportsboat forum who want to get these ... if you do decide to go ahead, I can put you in contact with them ... a bigger group buy means better price.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
Ensign

Thanks for the pictures. I am going to get those smart tabs. I noticed that you have a High Five prop, what pitch?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Rynorito
Rynorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynorito
Thanks for the pictures. I am going to get those smart tabs. I noticed that you have a High Five prop, what pitch?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Rynorito
21" much better than standard prop