Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #1
Lieutenant
 
PJHoffnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 96
Default Rudder Angle Indicator

While the old tried and true method of putting a thin strip of tape on the wheel when centered is a nice way to tell when you're centered (at 0), I'd still like to know (with out having to count wheel rotations) how many degrees of rudder I've applied while turning.

The only visual I have right now is on the MFD when in Autopilot mode.

Has anyone installed a rudder angle indicator gauge on their boat? I was hoping to be able to 'tap' off the input from the Robertson RF300 sensing unit that feeds the autopilot.

Thanks in advance.
__________________

__________________
Paul
Changes in L'Attitudes
1999 Maxum 4100 SCA
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
Captain
 
Phillbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 905
Default

I'm not sure what the benefit would be in having one?
__________________

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 63
Default

Paul:

The place to "tap in" would be the NEMA feed from your autopilot controller.
Depending on the model, a "remote" indicator unit should be able to be driven from there.

I'm not aware of any "splitter" that would support the sensor itself feeding two devices (controller and indicator).

John
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
I'm not sure what the benefit would be in having one?
Neither did I until I bought a boat that is almost 9 full wheel turns from Port to Stbd. My Maxum 2800 was 3 full wheel turns, so it wasn't hard to spin all the way one way or the other, then back 1.5 turns.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
Lieutenant
 
PJHoffnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
I'm not sure what the benefit would be in having one?
As Shrew mentioned, not always easy (especially when in traffic, other 'busy' situations) to count turns of the wheel - a quick glance down at a RAI would certainly make things a lot safer.

I also wanted to get a handle on tactical turning diameter, and advance and transfer for standard rudder angles - yes, I am that geek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsons121 View Post
The place to "tap in" would be the NEMA feed from your autopilot controller.
Depending on the model, a "remote" indicator unit should be able to be driven from there.
Thanks, that a great idea. I'm afraid that while I've spent a lot of the limited time I've been able to be on board our 'new to us' below the deck plates to learn systems, I've only taken a peek at the rats nest under the helm. Next time I'm on board I'll see if anything is labeled and do the NEMA route for sure.
__________________
Paul
Changes in L'Attitudes
1999 Maxum 4100 SCA
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Commander
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJHoffnet View Post
As Shrew mentioned, not always easy (especially when in traffic, other 'busy' situations) to count turns of the wheel - a quick glance down at a RAI would certainly make things a lot safer.



I also wanted to get a handle on tactical turning diameter, and advance and transfer for standard rudder angles - yes, I am that geek.







Thanks, that a great idea. I'm afraid that while I've spent a lot of the limited time I've been able to be on board our 'new to us' below the deck plates to learn systems, I've only taken a peek at the rats nest under the helm. Next time I'm on board I'll see if anything is labeled and do the NEMA route for sure.


Are or were you a SWO...?
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #7
Lieutenant
 
PJHoffnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
Are or were you a SWO...?
May I kick you in your jimmies right now. I am not, nor ever was, nor will be a SWO sweater wearing target driver.

Bubblehead 27+ years ... though I did qualify as a Craftmaster and lead some summer cruises while teaching at the USNA.
__________________
Paul
Changes in L'Attitudes
1999 Maxum 4100 SCA
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #8
Commander
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJHoffnet View Post
May I kick you in your jimmies right now. I am not, nor ever was, nor will be a SWO sweater wearing target driver.



Bubblehead 27+ years ... though I did qualify as a Craftmaster and lead some summer cruises while teaching at the USNA.


Sorry, you speaking SWO talk. Though your desire to take that to your personal pleasure boat does sound more submariner like!
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #9
Lieutenant
 
PJHoffnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
Sorry, you speaking SWO talk. Though your desire to take that to your personal pleasure boat does sound more submariner like!
Why thank you

I guess it's just part of the fun of being on the water in my mind.
__________________
Paul
Changes in L'Attitudes
1999 Maxum 4100 SCA
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #10
Commander
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJHoffnet View Post
Why thank you



I guess it's just part of the fun of being on the water in my mind.


You're nukin' it...!
__________________

speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.