Old 06-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #1
Commander

Default Rudder Angle Indicator

While the old tried and true method of putting a thin strip of tape on the wheel when centered is a nice way to tell when you're centered (at 0), I'd still like to know (with out having to count wheel rotations) how many degrees of rudder I've applied while turning.

The only visual I have right now is on the MFD when in Autopilot mode.

Has anyone installed a rudder angle indicator gauge on their boat? I was hoping to be able to 'tap' off the input from the Robertson RF300 sensing unit that feeds the autopilot.

Thanks in advance.

PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
Admiral

I'm not sure what the benefit would be in having one?

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
Captain

Paul:

The place to "tap in" would be the NEMA feed from your autopilot controller.
Depending on the model, a "remote" indicator unit should be able to be driven from there.

I'm not aware of any "splitter" that would support the sensor itself feeding two devices (controller and indicator).

John
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
Neither did I until I bought a boat that is almost 9 full wheel turns from Port to Stbd. My Maxum 2800 was 3 full wheel turns, so it wasn't hard to spin all the way one way or the other, then back 1.5 turns.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
As Shrew mentioned, not always easy (especially when in traffic, other 'busy' situations) to count turns of the wheel - a quick glance down at a RAI would certainly make things a lot safer.

I also wanted to get a handle on tactical turning diameter, and advance and transfer for standard rudder angles - yes, I am that geek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsons121 View Post
The place to "tap in" would be the NEMA feed from your autopilot controller.
Depending on the model, a "remote" indicator unit should be able to be driven from there.
Thanks, that a great idea. I'm afraid that while I've spent a lot of the limited time I've been able to be on board our 'new to us' below the deck plates to learn systems, I've only taken a peek at the rats nest under the helm. Next time I'm on board I'll see if anything is labeled and do the NEMA route for sure.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJHoffnet View Post
As Shrew mentioned, not always easy (especially when in traffic, other 'busy' situations) to count turns of the wheel - a quick glance down at a RAI would certainly make things a lot safer.

I also wanted to get a handle on tactical turning diameter, and advance and transfer for standard rudder angles - yes, I am that geek.

Thanks, that a great idea. I'm afraid that while I've spent a lot of the limited time I've been able to be on board our 'new to us' below the deck plates to learn systems, I've only taken a peek at the rats nest under the helm. Next time I'm on board I'll see if anything is labeled and do the NEMA route for sure.

Are or were you a SWO...?
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #7
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
Are or were you a SWO...?
May I kick you in your jimmies right now. I am not, nor ever was, nor will be a SWO sweater wearing target driver.

Bubblehead 27+ years ... though I did qualify as a Craftmaster and lead some summer cruises while teaching at the USNA.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #8
Captain

Quote:
May I kick you in your jimmies right now. I am not, nor ever was, nor will be a SWO sweater wearing target driver.

Bubblehead 27+ years ... though I did qualify as a Craftmaster and lead some summer cruises while teaching at the USNA.

Sorry, you speaking SWO talk. Though your desire to take that to your personal pleasure boat does sound more submariner like!
Old 06-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #9
Commander

Quote:
Sorry, you speaking SWO talk. Though your desire to take that to your personal pleasure boat does sound more submariner like!
Why thank you

I guess it's just part of the fun of being on the water in my mind.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #10
Captain

Quote:
Why thank you

I guess it's just part of the fun of being on the water in my mind.

You're nukin' it...!
Old 06-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #11
Commander

Quote:
You're nukin' it...!
Ahhhhh, wrong again my good Sir

I was a Coner ... one of the last non-nuclear trained line officers in the submarine fleet.

Started out as a Strategic Weapons Systems Officer, then they changed us to General Submarine Officers and said find another community since there won't be any CO jobs for you (Diesel boats were being decommissioned and Dry Docks were headed to the EDO community). I stuck it out and completed an AWEPs tour, a SWS Officer tour, SSN CSO & Special Warfare Officer tour, Diesel boat XO and CO of the Navy's Range Eastern Range waterside support and Navigation test platform.

Super fun career - would never have stayed as long as I did if I had become a weather guesser (which is what they wanted me to do since I had degrees in Oceanography and Meteorology).
Old 06-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #12
Captain

Quote:
Ahhhhh, wrong again my good Sir

I was a Coner ... one of the last non-nuclear trained line officers in the submarine fleet.

Started out as a Strategic Weapons Systems Officer, then they changed us to General Submarine Officers and said find another community since there won't be any CO jobs for you (Diesel boats were being decommissioned and Dry Docks were headed to the EDO community). I stuck it out and completed an AWEPs tour, a SWS Officer tour, SSN CSO & Special Warfare Officer tour, Diesel boat XO and CO of the Navy's Range Eastern Range waterside support and Navigation test platform.

Super fun career - would never have stayed as long as I did if I had become a weather guesser (which is what they wanted me to do since I had degrees in Oceanography and Meteorology).

Good deal. The admiral told me I was too smart for his nuke program, so here I am being a SWO. I'll stop derailing your thread now!
Old 06-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #13
Commander

Quote:
Good deal. The admiral told me I was too smart for his nuke program, so here I am being a SWO. I'll stop derailing your thread now!
I was too dumb - couldn't even get a trip to DC for an interview. My GPA suffered in college in the first two years because I had 'better' things to do than go to class. It wasn't until I was put on double secret probation and got the 'grades up, or get out' speech that I figured it out. By then too late.

Not becoming a nuke was the best thing that ever happened to me. Even on a skimmer those kids never see the light of day except for the 'mando' watches to qualify OOD to get their SWO pins.

I loved driving on the surface, maneuvering (special sea and anchor detail) watch and transits when there was too much traffic to give us submerged water. In the long run I bet I would have been happy as a SWO, at least on small boys.

Oh, it was probably me who derailed it first ... I got the answer I needed and started running my mouth.