Old 08-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Replacing the carpet

I bought an '02 Maxum 1800SR about a month ago. The carpet is OK, but JUST OK .

The thing I don't like about it is it takes forever to dry out. I've notice newer boats have a fiberglass floor with optional snap-in carpets.

Question: Has anyone removed the old carpet and replace it with a non-water absorbing material? Heavy-duty vinyl? Anything?

Thanking you in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	742

jawbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Captain

hai jaw....

i surged for you on this forum, newing there was something about this subject......

http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...-1998-1900-SR2

perhaps you'll find some information you can use or contact this person for questions

succes with the job, greatz, ed

ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks. I did see that thread but he didn't say anything about what he replaced the carpeting with.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Captain

i sended him a pm if he is able to update his topic, so lets wait for a wile.....or you could send him a mail with your questions...

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Am assuming your boat has the glued in carpets JB? Regardless, the floor is still fiberglass.

My tub has the factory snap in's, and they are vinyl backed to keep them from sliding around. If they get wet I stll need to pull them up to prevent mold/mildew - just a little air circulation under them does the trick.

I think the only way to deal yours is to pull up the old carpets, remove as much of the adhesive as you are able to, then make templates and order new carpets. Once you have the new rugs you can buy a stainless steel snap kit and install your own. Will take a bit of time I imagine but will be worth it.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Admiral

installing carpets is really easy.
Dan has pointed out how...I posted my experience on the maxum site for my swimstep carpet install..
the thing to avoid is buying the type with rubber backing...after a few seasons..the rubber gives up the ghost and you end up with black rubber parts all over the boat every time you move the carpets....so vinyl is the way to go....we do have a contact contributor that sells carpets and I had gotten some made for my swim step...they turned out extremely well and the carpets match the cockpit carpets pretty darned close...the service was outstanding ..and they followed my instructions to the letter...ya can't ask for better than that...check out Corninthian's site ..there is contact info here on the site....
they are pretty reasonable and quick turn around....

I don't recommend many things to people ..but when I find someone that works well...and provides the service they claim....I don't hesitate to recommend them...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
Am assuming your boat has the glued in carpets JB? Regardless, the floor is still fiberglass.

My tub has the factory snap in's, and they are vinyl backed to keep them from sliding around. If they get wet I stll need to pull them up to prevent mold/mildew - just a little air circulation under them does the trick.

I think the only way to deal yours is to pull up the old carpets, remove as much of the adhesive as you are able to, then make templates and order new carpets. Once you have the new rugs you can buy a stainless steel snap kit and install your own. Will take a bit of time I imagine but will be worth it.

Dan
I thought the floor under the carpet was marine plywood. In any case, I don't want carpet, I'd like to have something NON-WATER ABSORBING. If the floor were fiberglass, I ASSume it would be a major pain to remove the carpet AND THE ADHESIVE to give a nice "new" appearance.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
Admiral

you just may need to re-gel coat the decking and to get the pattern to make it anti skid decking....like on the dash.....or fore deck....once that's done...it's a simple matter of installing snaps and snap in carpet for those days your not skiing...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #9

Removing the carpet should be fairly easy. Removing the adhesive is another matter altogether. They do make a number of paint on non-skid solutions, such a AwlGrip. In your case I think Seadeck would be your best bet. It's water proof, non-skid and actually works better the wetter it is. And, It's cushioned which should be nice on the bare feet. Plus, with Seadeck there is no need to remove the old adhesive (You'll still need to remove the carpet though).

http://www.awlgrip.com/Pages/home.aspx

http://www.seadek.com/
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
Ensign

Thanks! The Seadek product may be what I'm looking for.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
Lt. JG

Jawbreaker--If you do end up deciding to go the snap-in carpet route, give me a call or PM me. We offer a pretty nice discount to Maxum Owners Club members. We have several members on here using our product. Before you totally rule out carpet completely, we can always send you some FREE samples to check out...Just a thought...Thanks!

Corinthian is offline   Reply With Quote