Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Projects and Customisations
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-08-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default New Spotlight installation

I've got a 2002 2900 SCR. I'm replacing a Guest spotlight with it's wireless replacement model. Unfortunately the new model is wider than the old and the edge of the base sits off the pulpit slightly 1/4" or less. The positioning is from the middle of the pulpit where the windless anchor chain sits and the edge of the pulpit. This is where the old one sat, I want to use the existing power cable already run. I've searched everywhere for a better fitting spotlight with no luck. My concern is of course water getting inside the base and ruining the electronics. Any thoughts?

Capt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

I'm trying to picture how you mounted your new spotlight. I've got a 2001 2900 SCR, and I'm pretty sure our pulpits are identical. My anchor rode slides ACROSS the bow pulpit (forward to aft of course) as the anchor is deployed. If your spotlight mounts on the pulpit, how does the anchor chain/rode still work? I attached two pictures of MY pulpit so you can see what I mean, perhaps you can reply with photos of YOUR dilema!

I've always thought a remote-control spotlight would be cool to have also... but I had planned on mounting it to the top of the bow rail. I've seen cruisers like ours (other brands) with a chrome or stainles steel "platform" of sorts welded to the U-shape of the bow rail. Then the spotlight mounts on it.

But for now I think I'll stick with my $20 hand-held Wal-Mart, battery-powered spotlight!
Attached Thumbnails
BowPulpit#1.jpg   BowPulpit#2.jpg  

Old 04-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Yes the pulpits are the same. My boat came with a Guest spotlight I'm just trying to replace it. The replacement model is wider at the base ,that my problem. It needs to sit from the very center of the pulpit (anchor chain track) to the outer edge of the pulpit. I'm contacting the distributor now to try and get a spotlight with a smaller base that would fit "flush" in that space.....
Old 04-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

Very center to the outer edge... I think I get it. So it obviously doesn't sit in the center of the pulpit (duh!)... couldn't get that through my head.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Right, the anchor chain is in the center so the spotlight sits off to one side. The distributor is looking for a spotlight with a narrower base. I'm looking for a wireless model with a base less than 5 3/4" wide. If I can't find one I may just throw the old one back on to fill the space. I hate to do that but I don't want to waste too much time with this project....