Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #21
Commander

I am pretty sure you will have to change the freeze plugs and the camshaft.

Maybe Dan can confirm that.

Todd

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #22
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Todd is right, Calle, you'll need to have all the freeze plugs changed to brass so they won't corrode.

Did you find out where the block is cracked? Did you have the cylinder heads checked also?

All 7.4/454 blocks have the same external dimentions and bolt patterns for the bell housing and engine mounts but I think your engine has a roller camshaft in it so you really want to find a roller cam block. Here's my advice; get the block casting number off of your existing block. If you are facing the front of the engine the casting number should be located at the right rear, just below the cylinder deck (where the cylinder head mates to the block) on the bell housing flange. Then start searching the internet for that casting number, or another block that is similar. If you can find a brand new, never used, bare block that would be best since you never know the history of a used block.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #23
Lt. JG

And today I got convinced that I should have the boat for a couple of years, as long as I'm studying for my engineering bachelor degree.
I've finally found an engine that is perfect. A 97 chevyblock with marine-parts and freshwater cooled. New exhaust-manifold, raisers, totally refurbished engine. And it's on a neightbouring island, so I'll go there on friday and look at it and then bring it home on saturday. And its only $7000, which is a fair price I think. There is a marine workshop that have done the refurbishing, but do you got a reminders list of what I should check to ensure that my legs are being pulled?

So when that is done, there is some damage at the aft to be repaired. Just waiting for the temperatures to become friendly.

The canopy is finished, I've received a tip that the textile could be colored with some washing coloration. I just have to ask the guy that is mending the canopy about with kind of textile there is. So I think I'll do my light green into a dark blue.
Calle1756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #24
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

That's a good find, Calle, good for you.

Unfortunately, with an already assembled engine, there isn't much you can check to make sure the engine is good, unless you can see and hear it run before you buy it. You're best option is to make sure the seller gives you a written warranty/guarantee that the engine will run.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
Lt. JG

The workshop are on the same island as me, and there are receites for everything I think.
This is the engine:
http://youtu.be/ZLRjZx-dq1U
Looks pretty good from the vid from january, and the sound is amazing. I'll be sure to bring along a technical friend that knows engines.

I'm so pleased right now, that pieces are falling into places, that I poured myself a glas of chieftains teaninich and listening to some good ol' funk:

have a good night everyone, thank you all for your good advices. I really appreciate it. I'll document the engine inspection with pictures and notes.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #26
Lieutenant

Quote:
So I need a car engine that fits the engine and transom. Does every GM Chevrolet 7,4l / 454 fit? Long block, small block, big block etc?
Hey Calle,
I'm not sure if you found your answer yet but here's some terminology you may need to know:

A 7.4L (454) Is known as a "Big Block" GM Chevrolet Engine
A 5.7L (350) Is known as a "Small Block" GM Chevrolet Engine
And the term "Short Block" means that it is only the cast engine block with no other components (sometimes with the camshaft)
"Long Block" means that it is the Engine Block WITH the heads, and internal components (crankshaft, rods, pistons, camshaft, etc. No external parts are included like manifolds, covers, etc.)

Every 7.4L will fit but the intake manifold that you have currently may not fit depending if the ports are oval or rectangular. Your best bet is to find a remanufactured 7.4L to match your engine year (most likely the original 1994 engine but run the serial number online to make sure) You will find a general year range where the engines were identical.

What you are looking for is a 7.4L Long Block, then you use your old intake manifold, oil pan, and thermostat and bolt them onto the new long block.

I had a hard time finding an intake manifold to fit my new engine (my old one was rusted bad). You will find a fair amount of aluminum ones but you really want the original cast iron one. MichiganMotorz.com is where I found my intake manifold.

- Joe
Old 05-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #27
Admiral

Joe I disagree with yourdfenitio of a short block. It is the same as a long block less the heads. i.e. it is the block, crank, piston with rods, cam, and timing gears and chain.
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #28
Lt. JG

Hi guys, I've been busy with exams and homework. Getting pretty worked up at school and work and kids and boat and everything else.

But I've got this engine with a new crankshaft, valves, totally refurbished, with new manifolds and raisers. So now I'm cleaning the enginebay. Grease, oil and dirt everywhere, using degreaser and aceton, and diapers from an elder-center. They can suck up a gallon or two. They are really great, hehe. Then I'll apply a layer with white toppcoat. Tidying the cables and wires, marking them with numbers for later convenience. Replacing all the fuelhoses with new ones. And the batterybank needs some attention. Too bad I have to dismount the manifolds and raisers to get the engine lowered in place. Really hoped to avoid that, but there aren't enough opening in the latches. Any advice on how to easily fit the engine?

Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0062.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	2747
The new engine.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #29
Commander

Not sure but on my 2400sxr I had to remove the engine cover and back seat... and then lower the engine in sideways and twist it around to get it on the mounts

Todd

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote