Old 08-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Maxum 2700 Engine Project

I've got some more done on my boat restoration since the Paint Project

Here's the update.

After having my outdrive gone thru, new impeller, resealed and then new gimbal bearing and all new bellows taking care of the outside. I then started on the Mercruiser 5.0LX motor. It doesn't have a hour meter so no real way of knowing how many hours she had, but 2 cylinders tested lower than the rest so I yanked it....

Engine out:

After going to machine shop for vatting, freeze plugs, cam bearings and cylinders honed, Here is the shortblock Reassembled.

I upgraded to a Comp Cams marine Extreme Energy camshaft

I upgraded from the stock 1.84/1.50 valved cylinder heads to some 1.94/1.50valves with same casting and replaced the stock cast iron intake with a aluminum edelbrock performer.

Finally got her back in and back to life... Here's first crank.
[video=youtube;ESeKHIT5Doc]

njones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Well done NJ. Is the new cam a roller? Fun how some minor tweaking can really wake up an engine.

Is that a '69 Firebird in the background? Looks like it has '69 Camaro running lights......

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:15 AM   #3
Lieutenant

I was actually suprised to find it to be a hyd flat tappet. So thats what I put back in it along with comp's high rpm lifters.

Yes, it a 69 Firebird. Those are just some aftermarket return road lights from it's drag car only days. Been working to make it streetable again tho.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Love those cars... one of my all time favorites.

One thing - As I've never been in the bilge of a 2700, how is your access to the oil filter when the motor is installed? This might be a good time to install the remote filter to get it up front, if you don't have one already.

Nice work!

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Admiral

Good deal, hope the cam break in went well. What kind of oil are you planning to use? New oils and flat tappets don't seem to get on well together.

Wacking 40 seconds off the planing time is huge, the engine must have been really tired. Were ya able to find out why two cylinders were down?

I'd love to drop the roller cammed 489 sitting on an engine stand in my garage into my 2400 SC3, re-prop it, then go hunting. LOL

Dan
Old 02-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
Good deal, hope the cam break in went well. What kind of oil are you planning to use? New oils and flat tappets don't seem to get on well together.
Sorry for slow response... I'm using conventional 5w30 with Elgin's Engine Armor ZDDP-4 additive for the zinc that flat tappets require.

I just need warm weather to get here quick. Man i hate winter!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
Admiral

Dang!!!!....that not only looks good but sounds good!!!.........Congrats!!...and love the 69 firebird....those are awesome........thanks for the update....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
Lieutenant

and for the Firebird fans....

[video=youtube;s0lLgUUQH4Q]
Old 02-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
Admiral

NIIIIIIIIICE......

How big is the engine???hp???torque??....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
Lieutenant

Stroked 400ci Small Block Chevy. (3.85 stroke crank with 6" rods so effectively its about 421ci)

Naturally aspirated 600 HP, but has 2 stages of nitrous, 300hp and a 100hp so pushin 1,000 all out. weighs in at 2,800 lbs without driver.

The video above was just motor without nitrous, 1/8 mile in 6.83 seconds at 101mph. 0 to 60 feet 1.31 seconds.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
Admiral

kewl!!!....

what does it run in the qtr??...and what's with this 0-60 ft??...isn't it 0-60mph??

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
Lieutenant

where i live, we don't actually have many quarter mile tracks so its setup (gearing) for the 1/8, however, with nitrous, it would run a high 8 to low 9 seconds pass in the 1/4

At a dragstrip, they have sensors at 60ft 330ft 660ft etc. The first 60ft is critical as it affects everything from overall ET to MPH. it's critical to get the car moving with no wheel spin to have a good overall elapsed time. the 0-60ft value is the only way of knowing how well a car does that.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #13
Admiral

I did not know that....amazing....we just used to mash the throttles and bang the gears in my day.....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
Admiral

That is a pretty stout small block Mr. Jones, even without the squeeze. One of the launch pictures shows the chassis twisting pretty good but, with a low 1.30's 60ft it's obviously hooking up well despite the twist. Is this a 10" tire car? Are you using a factory 400 block or after market? Peddling that quick demands good parts - how the hell can you also afford a boat?

I'm seriously in the wrong business.

Dan
Old 02-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
That is a pretty stout small block Mr. Jones, even without the squeeze. One of the launch pictures shows the chassis twisting pretty good but, with a low 1.30's 60ft it's obviously hooking up well despite the twist. Is this a 10" tire car? Are you using a factory 400 block or after market? Peddling that quick demands good parts - how the hell can you also afford a boat?

I'm seriously in the wrong business.

Dan
Yeah, she was flexing way more than i'd like. Something has broke as it traditionally doesnt do that. she's still on factory leaf springs and drum brakes tho LOL!!! Gonna go thru the suspension and see whats twisted when the weather warms a bit. The slicks are 28x10.5x15 ET drags but they measure 9.9" tread width. It is a factory block, but a special one. It's a high nickel alloy, 2 bolt main block. A 400 is the only small block chevrolet in which the 2 bolt mains are stronger than 4 bolt mains. The cylinders are siamesed on a 400 and the bolt holes of the outer "4 bolts" creates a weak point thru the webbing. The 2 bolts are solid in the webbing area and are much stronger. The rest of the motor is a full 4340 forged rotating assembly, solid roller .675 lift camshaft, Dart Pro 1 230cc Heads, Full victor intake, a mother fogger nitrous kit, and plate nitrous kit.

Both the car and boat were bought old and broke or i couldnt have afforded either. Me and my father did all the work you see to put them both back together. Me and my dad have been building on the car since 98' getting a lil better parts and a lil faster every year. Our problem came when we both caught the boat bug in about 04' which brings about the Mariah pictured below. again, bought it at a repo yard with a froze and busted 5.0. It now has a 5.7 crate with vortec fastburn cylinder heads on her.