Old 02-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Ensign

Default I bought a lemon

Hi Folks,
This is a shortend version as my last post dissapeared before I could post it.
Anyway. I bought a 1900 SR (1996)last August. I'm new to boating and took a friend with me as it was a private sale. The floor had two soft patches and as I am fairly handy decided to buy it. Had a great couple of months or so untill the water got too cold. (water sports).
On friday I decided to start replacing the floor. To my horror the more I dug the worse it got. To date I have removed the entire bow area (measuring as marking as I go leaving approx 1/2 inch of glass as guides) and the stringers as far as the fuel tank.
My question's are how much resin (Epoxi or what) and mat do I need as I intend coating all panels etc before during and after fitting. Also as we use the boat for wter sports is there an alternative to carpet.
Are there any do's and dont's I should watch out for
I live in Ireland and sourcing some materials my be difficult and more costly.
Thanks in advance

Iain

suziain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
Admiral

Iain.........since nobody has jumped on this one.........I'll try to help you. ..........I have had little experience with what your going through right now......but. See what you can find on you tube. There should be a bunch of video on what you need to know. I know I have found it very helpfull with stuff I am cueless about.

The carpet issue........I would use carpet. Buy the right wood water proof it correctly....cover the boat when not using it and there is no reason not to have nice cushioney carpet in your boat. Google this and I bet you will get all sorts of video on how to answer your problem........

I know I am not answering your questions directly but atleast this should help you get started.

Another great website in which there is alot more traffic than here is www.baylinerownersclub.org There is a project section and just do a search that could help you too.

Hope this helps

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #3

Suziain,

My sympathies. Just to be a bit picky. A lemon is a product that has significant manufacturing defects from the factory as the result of shoddy materials or workmanship. What you're describing is the result of an old boat that was poorly maintained and improperly stored. This is a very common problem, particularly with older runabouts. More than likely this is the result of years of being stored uncovered. The rot is the result of water intrusion.

At the risk of rubbing more salt in the wound, this is why it is advisable to have a boat surveyed by a professional surveyor. They are expensive, but can save thousands in situations like this. What I would suggest is talking to a good fiberglass person. If your sole and stringers are rotted, there is a good chance there is rot in the transom as well. I would take a big step back at this point and consider whether the cost to get the boat ship shape is going to be greater than the value of the boat when the work is done.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for the replies.

Hindsight is always great. If only. Sorry I was not up to speed as to what a lemon described. Irrespective of what caused the rot I still intend to repair same. FYI the stringers were rotten or wet to midway / start of seating area. Further back stringers were well encapsulated and appear very sound and around the fuel tank area also. The transom appears sound but short of removing the engine I can’t tell. As I posted this in the “projects” area I was after some information and pointers as I had hoped others may have came across the same. Once Again thanks for the replies.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
Admiral

Iain....sorry...don't know how to pronounce your name here..but here goes my take...

take a plastic tipped hammer...and gently tap the transom...it should sound solid...if it goes thump...you got water in it....then it means taking a the drive and transom mounting ring off the transom and getting that rotted wood replaced....then reglassing and gelcoating...

for the decking...use marine grade plywood and cut to fit...at this point you can install some nice boxes and ensure that the transom has drains that let the water flow to the engine bay and out thru the butt plug....

make sure you fully glass in the decking and stringers below the decking...this will protect the stringers and frames.....as much as you'd like too...don't include foam...when the foam gets wet...it will weight 3 times normal....and then the foam rots......so resist adding foam...

fiber glassing is easy....watch how it's done on some boat youtube shows...
carpets are an easy add on too..but you want to make sure that 1)they are rubber backed...and 2) they are snap in carpets...don't go for the glue down type....just make the decking gelcoat slip resistant and then add snap in carpets.....
you can get a pattern of the areas you want carpeted from one of our guys here at corinthian carpets and they can have them shipped to you in no time....I've used them for some of my carpeting and man are they good....
also if you decide to go local on the snap in carpets....make sure they are rubber backed...they will last longer and resist rot...

sorry..but I don't see your boat as a lemon...just neglected...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
Admiral

I contacted my shop guy and he wants to know what kind of overhead material are we talking about??..ie monkey fur or vinyl??....
but either way...when they have to replace material to the overhead...they go to home despot..(aka home depot) or lowes....and gets 3m high strength 90 spray on glue...it's the best they have and it's easier than using the roll on stuff...less fumes and holds better .....

he's checking to find out how to take the panels off...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
Ensign

Cheers seapuppy.
My name sounds like en. Iain is Scottish for John. Thanks for your pointers will have to check the transom tomorrow. Maybe I have bitten off more than I can chew but I like a challange as long as it doesn't cost a small fortune.
Cheers
Iain
Old 02-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
Admiral

ah...well...you know the definition of BOAT??

B=Break
O=Out
A=Another
T=Thousand

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang